• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2018/19

Borges

International Regular
Stripped of the captaincy and a couple tests out of the team would and should have been enough
More than enough, when there are other international captains who have been caught cheating, and continue to captain their teams after serving out their very short bans.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More than enough, when there are other international captains who have been caught cheating, and continue to captain their teams after serving out their very short bans.
Some get caught, get made captain, get caught again, and continue to be captain.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
And if he'd put his hand up straight away it would have been the case.

The wriggling and obfuscation after the events are what did for him.

and as for the press conferences........... :oops:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You really should stop making this about what the ICC punishment (which was identical to all the other incidents), and other countries boards have decided to do.... this debacle falls all on the Cricket Australia board and players.

Starfighter

"Something rotten in the State of Denmark" also comes to mind.
Haughtily dredging up Shakespeare to not address my point. Just shows that people have been oversimplifying for centuries (and sometimes even writing it down), just like the idea of 'common sense' that no-one actually possesses.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
And desperate attempts at buck passing don't alter the truth that Smith had t fully within his power to reign in Warner and others at any time but consistently failed to do so.

And if, for some strange reason, he decided he didn't have that power he could have resigned the captaincy.

Borges

International Regular
And if he'd put his hand up straight away it would have been the case.
I'm not saying that the captain has no responsibility. Whether he had put his had up or not, as the captain he had the responsibility and the authority to put a stop to the nonsense. There is no doubt that he cheated; all I'm saying is that the duration of the bans is disproportionate to what has been imposed on other captains or players who were caught tampering.

Borges

International Regular
You really should stop making this about what the ICC punishment (which was identical to all the other incidents), and other countries boards have decided to do.... this debacle falls all on the Cricket Australia board and players.
I'm not talking about the ICC sanctions at all.

I am of the firm opinion that the Australian board did the right thing by stripping him of the captaincy; the ICC was not going to do that.
But the extra duration of bans that they imposed is way too excessive; it is not commensurate with the punishments that were imposed on others for a similar offence.

Starfighter

And desperate attempts at buck passing don't alter the truth that Smith had t fully within his power to reign in Warner and others at any time but consistently failed to do so.

And if, for some strange reason, he decided he didn't have that power he could have resigned the captaincy.
Sounds like you've never dealt with a difficult personality before. Too much haughty 'coulda-woulda-shoulda'. Things are never simple as you are making out, people are not automata who process things and make decisions rationally and mechanically, and the personal and team dynamics and the situation which eventually resulted are one of the myriad situations in which the hierarchy you stick rigidly to may not operate effectively or at all. Captains have been unable to reign in teammates and placed themselves in seemingly untenable conditions many times. In any case you don't even know how things unfolded prior to the event and how the team dynamics worked so I think it's rather silly haughtily imposing your over-simplistic view on things.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Sounds like you've never dealt with a difficult personality before. Too much haughty 'coulda-woulda-shoulda'. Things are never simple as you are making out, people are not automata who process things and make decisions rationally and mechanically, and the personal and team dynamics and the situation which eventually resulted are one of the myriad situations in which the hierarchy you stick rigidly to may not operate effectively or at all. Captains have been unable to reign in teammates and placed themselves in seemingly untenable conditions many times. In any case you don't even know how things unfolded prior to the event and how the team dynamics worked so I think it's rather silly haughtily imposing your over-simplistic view on things.
Oh yes I have, and on the cricket field as well - as captain, club committee member and on field official, as well as professionally. I have also seen plenty in other clubs.

If the behaviour of a player is disruptive to a team steps need to be taken - seen it done many times.

The trouble comes when the authority doesn't question the incorrect behaviour or attitude (and I've seen man Australian teams over more than 40 years actively condone it - well, until the receive it in reply). You then create a bad situation be it in a team or an office.

The fact remains that Smith could have ended this if he wanted to - he just chose not to, or thought it totally acceptable, and finally it backfired on him.

Your feeble wriggling won't change that,.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guys, you need to remember Biryani Pillow is an umpire.

In unrelated news, if anyone is in north west Sydney on Thursday night, Parra first grade is playing Lahore in a T20 at Bruce Purser Oval, Rouse Hill from6:30pm.

Should be a good standard game to watch at no cost. Parra made the semi finals of the T20 Comp last year and Lahore apparently has something approaching a FC standard side in.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If NSW doesn't want him, why hasn't some other state snapped him up?
He was talking to other states tbf, but as a keeper-batsman it was difficult for him, and tbh he was basically told by the blokes from the other states that NSW will be so **** after the squad they initially announced that he’d definitely get a game

Last edited:

Gnske

Your son would have to play as a bat though surely, Nevill ain't on the wrong road yet. Plus Senor Lenton is around and about.