• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Off Season 2018

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scratch “borderline”. Nothing says “Pick me” like Doggett’s 0/100 off 16 overs.
I just can't for the life of me work out how they see a guy put in an unexceptional performance in his first season, then see him **** the bed like that and pick him. They'll say it's because he's got pace but Tremain is just as fast and has actually picked up wickets.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's clearly reasons beyond cricketing ones. Which would be fair to take a young bloke on a tour knowing he won't play (like Swepson on the 2017 India tour) for experience, but when you've left out every competent fast bowler you've got for the useless young bloke is when it's an issue.

Starfighter

There's clearly reasons beyond cricketing ones for Maxwell's omission. Hohns' excuse was beyond laughable. Also shows that the anti-Maxwell forces extend beyond Smith and Lehmann.

Is Maxwell not being there a good or a bad sign? Especially when Handscomb being there is considered.

The fact that they're trying to set MMarsh up as a future captain means that there's absolutely zero chance that any pitch in Australia will ever have a blade of grass on it again.
Good sign. It will he age/experience related.
This exchange looks interesting in hindsight. I didn't say it but I'd carried the feeling that he was never in real contention and that being omitted from the A-team was a sign of that.

the big bambino

International Captain
Does anyone know how fast Doggett bowls? I've just youtubed him in a big bash game and he was just cracking 130k. Is he quicker than that because a justification for his selection was his pace supposedly.

Starfighter

IIRC in the Big Bash he was sometimes reaching low 140s, occasionally more I think, but was mostly mid-130s. And I've never been too trusting of the speed guns in the BBL.

Gnske

Does anyone know how fast Doggett bowls? I've just youtubed him in a big bash game and he was just cracking 130k. Is he quicker than that because a justification for his selection was his pace supposedly.
It wouldn't surprise me if even Wildermuth was faster.

Starfighter

I like that Holland gets another crack, but little else. What's a bet Siddle's back throws it out again at the sight of a grassless pitch?

TheJediBrah

Nah Siddle will give it 110% and bowl his heart out to the best of his ability. And produce back-to-back 0/150 s.

Starfighter

Nah Siddle will give it 110% and bowl his heart out to the best of his ability. And produce back-to-back 0/150 s.
A very big chance we'll get to see his average head back to the wrong side of 30. Sad I don't have Fox sports and won't be watching any of it, or any of the Australian ODIs and T20s for the foreseeable future. Would have liked to have made some more heart jokes.

Last edited:

stephen

I can't believe they left out Maxwell, who is our best batsman available for Asian conditions.

Burns, Maxwell, Tremain all have reason to feel aggrieved. Burns, the incumbent opener is dropped not having played a first class match since the last test. It's insanity.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
While there is no way in hell I would have picked him, I do think Doggett has a bit about him. Can get it up around 140ish on his day, has a real sharp bouncer. Did bowl a few hostile spells in Shield cricket last season. Still definitely too hot and cold, can completely go AWOL on occasion, but I certainly wouldn't write him off for the future

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You know the big hearted banana loving, former woodchopper, leader of the attack, father of 5 rescue dogs, heart huge, bigjizz, banana, twin 50s, test hattrick, low bash economy rate, essex champ, leader, banana, 65th all time leading wicket taker, pharlap, legend

stephen

Maxwell just has to train smarter, score more hundreds and rest up and not play county or any first class games if he wants to get picked.

Top_Cat

Selectors have really take a broom to the team eh? Shield form means nothing, cue lots of pressers in the wake of some big losses where they beg for patience because they're 'building a culture'. The 'we know what he's about' reasons for not picking Maxwell for the A tour are just awful, Khawaja's problems with spin apparently remain a mystery.

Last edited: