• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Off Season 2018

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A positive is that Maxwell gets a full domestic one day series 9 months out from a world cup. Lots of cricket to be played during that time but it could be beneficial for him and say Jhye Richardson and others like Carey, Stoinis who can move ahead of some guys with tye test squad if they perform.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Selectors have really take a broom to the team eh? Shield form means nothing, cue lots of pressers in the wake of some big losses where they beg for patience because they're 'building a culture'.
It's madness.

Picking your mates because it's good for team culture is something that schoolchildren do. National selectors should be looking at performance first and then team fit. Cricket is a team game but it's not *that* much of a team game that having friction between players is going to turn the team terrible.

stephen

A positive is that Maxwell gets a full domestic one day series 9 months out from a world cup. Lots of cricket to be played during that time but it could be beneficial for him and say Jhye Richardson and others like Carey, Stoinis who can move ahead of some guys with tye test squad if they perform.
I doubt it. The selectors no longer seem to value the domestic competition. It's unlikely Maxwell will play for Australia before 2020 in any form now.

cnerd123

likes this
It's madness.

Picking your mates because it's good for team culture is something that schoolchildren do. National selectors should be looking at performance first and then team fit. Cricket is a team game but it's not *that* much of a team game that having friction between players is going to turn the team terrible.
I think they're being overly cautious because of Sandpapergate. Want a good group of lads who'll obey all orders and never cross the lines and won't draw anymore media attention to themselves than is necessary. Someone like Maxwell is a threat to forming this culture, bit too outspoken and spotlight seeking, so out he stays.

stephen

I think they're being overly cautious because of Sandpapergate. Want a good group of lads who'll obey all orders and never cross the lines and won't draw anymore media attention to themselves than is necessary. Someone like Maxwell is a threat to forming this culture, bit too outspoken and spotlight seeking, so out he stays.
So he's a star who will draw crowds?

Maxwell is the kind of player who kids aspire to be. They don't want to be the boring types like Head. They want to be the flashy, amazing players like Maxwell. It's those guys who get the next generation to play.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I doubt it. The selectors no longer seem to value the domestic competition. It's unlikely Maxwell will play for Australia before 2020 in any form now.
Its a weird one because I think they do value domestic performances just not in the most logical way. Doggett did take a 5fa in the Shield Final. Labuschagne did finish 2nd leading runscorer. Neser did take the second most wickets. Performances are being noticed but yeah they seem to value chemistry a helluva lot more than what fans do who prefer the best players being selected and who like the old mentality where it was very hard to get into the team and hard to get out.

Starfighter

Of course, we can trust Maxwell to **** up and not score runs early in the first half of the shield season, cause he's frustrating like that.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's nothing controversial about Maxwell. There's no way he threatens any kind of "culture" that they're "trying to build". He's not KP, or Warner, he's a genuinely nice, solid bloke.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the last test innings australia batted in our top 7 made scores of: 5, 42, 7, 24, 7, 0, 7. Guess which 5 remain in our squad and which 2 were dropped.

Groundking

International Debutant
I don't think I'll ever understand international team selectors. They always seem to do the most stupid things.

stephen

For the record, I don't mind La-boo-shane's selection. Bloke can play.
Thoroughly agree.

Bad selections:

Siddle
Doggett
Head
Neser

Good selections:

Labuschagne
Renshaw
Paine
Agar
Holland
Khawaja
Lyon
Mitch Marsh
Shaun Marsh
Starc

Ok selections:

Finch

Bad non-selections:

Richardson
Tremain
Maxwell
Burns

I seriously think Tremain and Richardson should have been picked ahead of Siddle, Doggett and Neser. I'm ok with Handscomb's non-selection. He is woefully out of form and has been for some time. Burns and Maxwell should absolutely have played.

Other than that, the selections were fine. Finch I can understand as a "backup leader" pick and he's been decent in the shield for the last few seasons. Labuschagne as the backup batsman is a great idea.

From the last test there should have been a straight swap of Maxwell for Handscomb and Tremain and Holland for Cummins and Hazlewood (both injured). In a time like this, the side needs continuity and the strongest players possible. We still want to win tests.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gotta feel for Tremain, though. Bloke's been amongst the best on the MCG drop-ins for a couple seasons and I thought he looked alright when he played those ODIs. Quick, accurate and moves the ball in the Kasprowicz mold, how exactly would that not be at least really ****ing handy in the UAE?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Burns looked in fine touch for Norths on the weekend if that counts for anything (...it doesn't). Outrageous that he was pipped by La-boo-skag-knee who has not yet progressed beyond fair to middling.

Gnske

I want to hear Marnus say it himself.

I knew a character with the last name Labuschagne and from all indications it was La-buh-shay/ne.