• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Off Season 2018

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
i thought it was la-boo-skakh-knee
Yeah as your video suggested, it is this, but he's basically told everyone not to bother trying to say it like that.

A bit like the Australian rugby league player Adam Doueihi telling people to pronounce his name like the Ducktales and Malcolm and the Middle characters (who are named Duey and Dewey respectively) even though in Lebanon it'd be pronounced similar to "Dway-hee".

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It seems more odd in retrospect that commentators and fellas talking over highlights call say scag-nee instead of skakh-nee. Albeit I can see someone like Mark Taylor struggle to say Labuschagne's name with the back of the throat getting into it.

Same with Doueihi. I guess the Australian tongue isn't particularly adaptable.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Usman Khawaja has given an interview talking about how much his fitness has improved since the South Africa tour, including the fact that he’s lost 7 kilos.

I know he’s going public with this to portray himself in the best light but imo it does the opposite. Isn’t this a tacit admission that his fitness on the SA tour (and probably throughout his entire cricket career) has been sub-par? Certainly he’s never been the most agile of fielders and you would think that wouldn’t take till your early 30s to realise the benefits of being ultra-fit.
A month on, it seems Khawaja being so open about his weight loss has paid off as heard Langer speak positively about it today (while justifying Maxwell's non-selection); suspect Khawaja was smart enough to realise that the fitness angle and being open about it would play a much more significant role in Langer's mind than it would've a Darren Lehmann.

SeamUp

International Coach
Actually somewhat surprised at his voice, always thought he would have a absurdly thick Afrikaans accent.
I remember reading an article where he said he was about 10 when they moved and he couldn't speak a word of english. North West is very Afrikaans.

Often when you learn a new language or you still in your formative years at school like you take in the he accent I reckon.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was taking the piss, would be weird to have an exclamation point when pronouncing someone's name.

Btw, has any other Non-standard 12th man who has taken a Test catch ever played test cricket for Australia?

I know that he is probably the backup bat..