• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

Mike5181

International Captain
Australia release their rough world cup squad.

Squad Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Doug Bollinger, Dan Christian, Xavier Doherty, Callum Ferguson, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, John Hastings, Nathan Hauritz, Brad Hodge, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Steve O'Keefe, Tim Paine, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

Any thoughts?

Mike5181

International Captain
Strong squad in my opinion. Happy to see Brad Hodge in the mix as well as Brett Lee. My ideal eleven based on this squad would be.

1.S.Watson
2.B.Haddin+
3.R.Ponting (c)
4.M.Clarke
5.B.Hodge
6.M.Hussey
7.C.White
8.N.Haurtiz
9.M.Johnson
10.B.Lee
11.S.Tait

12.D.Bollinger
13.X.Doherty
14.T.Paine+
15.D.Hussey

Feel free to share your own team. On its day that team could beat any of the current teams. Only real weak point is in the spin department with no spinners in the class of Vettori and Swann available.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
1. Watson
2. Haddin+
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. White
6. Hussey
7. Smith
8. Hauritz
9. Johnson
10. Harris
11. McKay

12. Lee
13. Christian
14. Doherty
15. Hodge (but it will be Marsh, IMO)

Wouldn't be surprised if Siddle got picked ahead of Lee. Gives the team some flexibility, where we can go with two quicks, two spinners, plus Christian and Watson if we wish to.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ferguson I would have thought? Unless Marsh takes up part time keeping. Don't think Tait and Lee will both go. Only Lee. Hauritz-Doherty will be decided during the 7 year OD series against England I guess.

1. Watson
2. Haddin+
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. White
6. Hussey
7. Smith
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Hauritz/Doherty
11. Harris

12. Dougeh dougeh dougeh
13. McKay
14. Ferguson
15. Paine maybe?

morgieb

What I'd pick....

Ponting
Clarke
Bollinger
Haddin
Harris
Haurtiz
Hodge
Mussey
Johnson
Lee
O'Keefe
Smith
Tait
Watson
White

Shri

Mr. Glass
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin
Ricky Ponting
Mike Hussey
Brad Hodge
Callum Ferguson
Cameron White
Brett Lee
Mitchell Johnson
Nathan Hauritz
Ryan Harris

Hodge should replace Clarke in the line up if Clarke's SR does not improve.

Last edited:

morgieb

What I'd pick....

Ponting
Clarke
Bollinger
Haddin
Harris
Haurtiz
Hodge
Mussey
Johnson
Lee
O'Keefe
Smith
Tait
Watson
White
Out of that, my first XI would be...

Watson
Haddin +
Ponting *
Clarke
Mussey
White/Hodge
Smith
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz/Doherty
Tait

vcs

Hauritz and someone like McKay to have an absolute world-class WC out of nowhere in true Aussie ODI bowler tradition. :dry:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McKay will almost certainly be picked. Never looks much but he's got a stellar record and keeps backing it up.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't reckon Hodge has much chance of making the actual squad, ftr. Having basically come out and called the selectors ****s on more than a few occasions this season, I can't really see it happening, and neither can Brad himself it seems. He's in the prelim squad because it'd be farcical if he wasn't, but they can now happily pick someone else and say it was because Hodge is too old, etc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
McKay will almost certainly be picked. Never looks much but he's got a stellar record and keeps backing it up.
Dougey averages 22 with an economy rate of 4.33 in ODIs. He's been immense in them, and lots of people seem content on leaving him out. Bowled particularly well in India as well (averages 19 with an economy rate of 4.46). I realise his fitness is a bit questionable at the moment and he can't bat or field but if you're going to pick someone based on having an awesome ODI bowling record over a small sample size, it should be him.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Dougey averages 22 with an economy rate of 4.33 in ODIs. He's been immense in them, and lots of people seem content on leaving him out. Bowled particularly well in India as well (averages 19 with an economy rate of 4.46). I realise his fitness is a bit questionable at the moment and he can't bat or field but if you're going to pick someone based on having an awesome ODI bowling record over a small sample size, it should be him.
Ryan Harris itbt.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It's a shame that some of the fringe players in the 30 man squad have zero chance of proving themselves before the squad is trimmed to size. Australia play only the one ODI before the squad is announced, and only two Ryobi Cup games are played before Christmas. Every game after Christmas is the Big Bash, and I hope that doesn't factor into selection decisions.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Fairly predictable squad really.

The biggest name not picked would have to be Ben Hilfenhaus, I think it's the right call though. I would have loved to have seen someone like an Aaron Finch in the 30 man squad for say Adam Voges. In the end of the day though, neither would have made the 15 man squad.

The squad I expect to see at this early stage would be.
1 Watson
2 Haddin
3 Ponting
4 Clarke
5 White
6 Hussey
7 Smith
8 Johnson
9 Hauritz
10 Lee
11 Harris

12 McKay
13 Bollinger
14 Ferguson
15 Paine

I wish the squad was 16 players, so we could have a couple of bowlers, a keeper and a couple of batsman in reserve.

Christian is very unlucky, I would have preferred to see Clarke out and White, Ferguson, Hussey, Smith/Christian be our 4 to 7, but that will never happen.

Mike5181

International Captain
Nathan Bracken is a name i heard recently. What the F happened to that guy? He was the number one ODI bowler a couple of years ago then just went missing off the radar. His variety would be useful in the sub continent.

morgieb

Nathan Bracken is a name i heard recently. What the F happened to that guy? He was the number one ODI bowler a couple of years ago then just went missing off the radar. His variety would be useful in the sub continent.
Think he got injured and fell behind players like Bollinger, McKay, Harris.