• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian cricket at the turn of the millennium

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The QLD side then was just terrific.
It certainly was.

As I wrote earlier you'd have to pick another batsmen someone like Clinton Perren and take out one of the [unlucky] bowlers, probably Dawes.

2000 was our second of three Shields in a row, think this was the year that in the final there was some controversy between Law and Berry over a catch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never, ever saw a QLD side with Wade Seccombe at number 6!! Add in Clinton Perren I suppose and get rid of one of the excellent bowlers.
I did think of that, and quite why I didn't put Perren in the reserves I don't know as he was (is) a pretty decent batsman. I just couldn't possibly bring myself to leave-out any of Kasprowicz, Bichel, Dawes, Dale or Noffke, they were all so good. If one of them was to go I guess it'd be Noffke as he was only relatively making his way at that time.
Also Ryan Campbell opening is pretty ugly.
Pretty much every WA game I took note of between '98/99 and '02/03 had Hussey and Campbell opening. Doesn't mean they did in all of them, but I can't think of anyone else who did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the Victorian side now has a better batting lineup, but it is hard to say the bowling is better.
The Victorian bowling around that time was surely some of the best ever seen at domestic level.

Reiffel, Fleming, Inness, Warne, Harvey. Three unquestionably Test-class bowlers, one who in my view very possibly was but never got the chance and a more than acceptable all-rounder who probably had the talent to play based on bowling (and nearly on batting) alone even if he didn't always justify that.

Then Harwood, Lewis and Miller as reserves!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's massive quality (although it's exaggerated by the fact that a lot of the players are better now than they were then).
That is true, and I thought it when compiling the lists. But only I think in the cases of about 4 or 5 players has someone gone from rookie to excellence. Some (for example Hussey M, Haddin, Clark and Bracken) merely went from pretty good to excellent.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I did think of that, and quite why I didn't put Perren in the reserves I don't know as he was (is) a pretty decent batsman. I just couldn't possibly bring myself to leave-out any of Kasprowicz, Bichel, Dawes, Dale or Noffke, they were all so good. If one of them was to go I guess it'd be Noffke as he was only relatively making his way at that time.

Pretty much every WA game I took note of between '98/99 and '02/03 had Hussey and Campbell opening. Doesn't mean they did in all of them, but I can't think of anyone else who did.
I've had a look at various scorecards in the year 2000 and notice Noffke actually was Man of The Match in the 2000 Shield Final. I suppose I've looked at this thread and thought you just meant 2000 - not the years before and the years just after the millennium.

I know it wasn't you that made the list of current players, but you can see the difference including players from a span of about 4 years in the top list, to the current list of just this year.

Regarding Ryan Campbell, I guess he did open a bit more than I remembered, so he might deserve his spot. Would love to see the best side without him though and Langer opening,

Big Tom Moody is slightly wasted at 8.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've had a look at various scorecards in the year 2000 and notice Noffke actually was Man of The Match in the 2000 Shield Final. I suppose I've looked at this thread and thought you just meant 2000 - not the years before and the years just after the millennium.

I know it wasn't you that made the list of current players, but you can see the difference including players from a span of about 4 years in the top list, to the current list of just this year.
All the players I listed in my opening post either played in the Pura Cup, Test cricket or the ACB Cup in the 2000/01 season. Most extended a year or two in both directions as well. If I'd included players over a span of 4 years Mark Taylor, David Boon and Jamie Siddons (to name just the three best) would also certainly be in there.
Regarding Ryan Campbell, I guess he did open a bit more than I remembered, so he might deserve his spot. Would love to see the best side without him though and Langer opening,

Big Tom Moody is slightly wasted at 8.
Guess Brad Williams would probably play if you left-out Campbell, and I did think eight was rather low for Moody, even in his final season, but I don't remember Langer opening very much for WA. Again, doesn't mean he didn't, but I never saw him do so and he always batted three for Middlesex (with Ramprakash at four!!) when he came over here in the off-season. Katich, Martyn and Goodwin obviously have to play and you need a wicketkeeper (Gilchrist would be in even if you didn't of course), so Moody at eight was about all I could think of.

Flem274*

123/5
How on earth do NSW produce so many good players? The amount they produce is pretty freakish, no wonder Mott didn't want to come coach us. Is their academy/domestic setup the best in Aussie?

In any case, Australia definitely has the platform atm to stay in the top 3-4 sides in the world consistently.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
How on earth do NSW produce so many good players? The amount they produce is pretty freakish, no wonder Mott didn't want to come coach us. Is their academy/domestic setup the best in Aussie?
Probably largely in thanks to having a larger population, so the law of averages is in NSW's favour.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think a lot of what they do is find talent early and develop them through junior squads better than the other states. Particuarly players from the country, i know there are various junior speed blitz blues squads throught NSW and they bring on players from there. Look at someone like Dom Thornley, he's from Albury (about 700km's) from Sydney but he was recognised as a talent very early (around under 14's-15's) and they stick with them. Obviously he hasn't kicked on but plenty like Glenn McGrath and even Adam Gilchrist did.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think a lot of what they do is find talent early and develop them through junior squads better than the other states. Particuarly players from the country, i know there are various junior speed blitz blues squads throught NSW and they bring on players from there. Look at someone like Dom Thornley, he's from Albury (about 700km's) from Sydney but he was recognised as a talent very early (around under 14's-15's) and they stick with them. Obviously he hasn't kicked on but plenty like Glenn McGrath and even Adam Gilchrist did.
They have emerging blues programs and so on. High quality Cricket

Athlai

Not Terrible
NZ cricket 2000 (including both 99/00 + 00/01)

South Island

MH Richardson (Ot)
NJ Astle (Cant)
SP Fleming (Cant)
CD McMillan (Cant)
CZ Harris (Cant)
CL Cairns (Cant)
RA Lawson (Ot)
BB McCullum (Ot)
SE Bond (Cant)
SB O'Connor (Ot)
CS Martin (Cant)

Gunnn.

Flem274*

123/5
Just to help Athlai hijack the thread some more.:p

Canterbury 2005

Michael Papps
Gary Stead
Peter Fulton
Nathan Astle
Craig McMillan
Chris Harris
Chris Cairns
Brendan McCullum
Paul Wiseman
Shane Bond
Chris Martin

Notable Reserve: Neil Broom

Central Districts "Invincibles" 2008

Jamie How
Peter Ingram
Brad Patton (averages 75 :p)
Mathew Sinclair
Ross Taylor
Jacob Oram
Bevan Griggs
Ewen Thompson
Michael Mason
Richard Sherlock
Mitchell McClennaghan (sic) (I hate spelling that name)

Notable reserve: Greg Hay (average 50+)

NSW of 2000 still carves up though by a milion miles. Unless an Indian or South Africa domestic team is stacked with test players I can't see that NSW side being beaten on paper. A WI one from the 80s could be a possible challenger.

Athlai

Not Terrible
North Island

L Vincent (Auck)
DL Vettori (ND)
SP Fleming (Well)
MS Sinclair (CD)
SB Styris (ND)
JDP Oram (CD)
AC Parore (Auck)
DJ Nash (Auck)
JEC Franklin (Well)
KD Mills (Auck)
SB Doull (ND)

On the bench
AR Adams (Auck)
DR Tuffey (ND)
JAH Marshall (ND)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just to help Athlai hijack the thread some more.:p

Canterbury 2005

Michael Papps
Gary Stead
Peter Fulton
Nathan Astle
Craig McMillan
Chris Harris
Chris Cairns
Brendan McCullum
Paul Wiseman
Shane Bond
Chris Martin

Notable Reserve: Neil Broom

Central Districts "Invincibles" 2008

Jamie How
Peter Ingram
Brad Patton (averages 75 :p)
Mathew Sinclair
Ross Taylor
Jacob Oram
Bevan Griggs
Ewen Thompson
Michael Mason
Richard Sherlock
Mitchell McClennaghan (sic) (I hate spelling that name)

Notable reserve: Greg Hay (average 50+)
CD the team with no attack. Good Canterbury team though.

Flem274*

123/5
NZ cricket 2000 (including both 99/00 + 00/01)

South Island

MH Richardson (Ot)
NJ Astle (Cant)
SP Fleming (Cant)
CD McMillan (Cant)
CZ Harris (Cant)
CL Cairns (Cant)
RA Lawson (Ot)
BB McCullum (Ot)
SE Bond (Cant)
SB O'Connor (Ot)
CS Martin (Cant)

Gunnn.
Oh and the NI one now could beat that if they negated Bond and Cairns.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Oh and the NI one now could beat that if they negated Bond and Cairns.
Dunno, that is still a very tough batting lineup with Richardson, Astle, Fleming, McMillan, Harris. The current NI top 5 isn't as good as that lineup.