• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia/New Zealand motorsport thread

Flem274*

123/5
Question I've had for a while.

I'm surprised Jonny Reid never made F1, Indy or even prototype GT. He was wheel to wheel with Huklkenberg in A1GP and comprehensively beat other past and future (at the time) F1 and Indy drivers.

That 2006ish field was absolutely OP. Reid had the talent for a full career but after a brief Indy Lights campaign for Sam Schmidt he just...faded away.

Daddy Giltrap could have put him in GP2 surely.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
gdi. Really wanted anyone but Newgarden (or Palou) to win out of that lead group at the end.

Still 6th place for Scotty is a great improvement especially with his clutch issue - he’s really struggled at Indy previously. Hopefully his first oval win is not too far off.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Question I've had for a while.

I'm surprised Jonny Reid never made F1, Indy or even prototype GT. He was wheel to wheel with Huklkenberg in A1GP and comprehensively beat other past and future (at the time) F1 and Indy drivers.

That 2006ish field was absolutely OP. Reid had the talent for a full career but after a brief Indy Lights campaign for Sam Schmidt he just...faded away.

Daddy Giltrap could have put him in GP2 surely.
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. You are not wrong though, bloke was absolute money in A1GP, him and Hulkenberg were definitely the two standouts in what was certainly a quality field. Definitely a bit odd (and disappointing) that his career kinda stalled after that, as far as I can work out he pretty much barely raced for a year or so before that Indy Lights stint you mention.

Aftee that there was a couple of years in Carrera Cup here in Australia (2nd to Craig Baird both seasons, won a bunch of races) then those few races for DJR in V8 Supercars at a time when the team both in terms of results and finances were really in struggletown. Then he was let go in favour of a very young Chaz Mostert, and that was pretty much that. Still does a bit of local GT racing back in NZ to this day as far as I can figure out, but not super regularly

Must have been a funding thing, still a shame though that more oppurtunity didn't come in what should have been his peak years. Absolutely the talent was there.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. You are not wrong though, bloke was absolute money in A1GP, him and Hulkenberg were definitely the two standouts in what was certainly a quality field. Definitely a bit odd (and disappointing) that his career kinda stalled after that, as far as I can work out he pretty much barely raced for a year or so before that Indy Lights stint you mention.

Aftee that there was a couple of years in Carrera Cup here in Australia (2nd to Craig Baird both seasons, won a bunch of races) then those few races for DJR in V8 Supercars at a time when the team both in terms of results and finances were really in struggletown. Then he was let go in favour of a very young Chaz Mostert, and that was pretty much that. Still does a bit of local GT racing back in NZ to this day as far as I can figure out, but not super regularly

Must have been a funding thing, still a shame though that more oppurtunity didn't come in what should have been his peak years. Absolutely the talent was there.
Man I remember those years with Bairdo in Carrera Cup. Good times.

Have been following Matt Campbell in WEC recently - bloke’s amazing, especially over a single lap, best of the factory Porsche drivers. Unsurprised to see he dominated the Carrera Cup too. Had a streak of 4 wins, Ret, then 5 wins. On pole for all of those

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
rip McLaughlin, Dixon doing Dixon things and now congrats Marcus Armstrong! First Indycar podium!

Flem274*

123/5
Need to catch the highlights but it's nice things are going well for Armstrong after he had one of the most treacherous cars in F2.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Need to catch the highlights but it's nice things are going well for Armstrong after he had one of the most treacherous cars in F2.
Was a mess of a race tbh but clearly Armstrong has been learning fuel saving tricks from Dixon. Rossi, Power and O’Ward all collided at turn 1 and due to a ridiculous amount of SC’s (Power also had at least one penalty) they ended up 5 6 7. As long as you don’t go a lap down most anything can be possible - Indycars on road/street courses are probably my favourite sport for actual racing right now (they’ve slightly converted me on ovals but I’ll always prefer “proper” circuits) - going into any weekend there’s a reasonable chance of any of ~10 cars winning the race, which is crazy.

Last edited: