• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia 2nd 11

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Rogers
Di Venuto
Katich (c)
D Hussey
B Hodge
Watson
Haddin
Noffke
Hilfenhaus
McGain/Macgill (once fit and with Hogg hopefully holding the number one spot.)
Tait

The obvious question is if this side could crack into the top 5 test nations?

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Hussey batted 4 in the last Vic match I could find and Hodge bat 5 for Australia, but probably should be the other way around.

Backup bowler probably Bracken and therefore he'd be 12th man.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, I don't think so. Definitely has the talent, but nowhere near the Test experience needed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hussey batted 4 in the last Vic match I could find and Hodge bat 5 for Australia, but probably should be the other way around.
Hodge has always seemed to prefer the three spot to me, and Hussey doesn't seem fussed with four, five or even six. That's what I meant, but really there's not that much between four and five anyway.
Backup bowler probably Bracken and therefore he'd be 12th man.
Surely Bracken has done more to merit Australia A selection than Noffke? Not like Bracken's been poor this season either.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Perm,

I don't know if Test experience is as big a thing, especailly with the amount of national A side play done and with county cricket and the strength of the state cricket. Nearly all the Australian players who've been added to the test side have performed straight away. Look at Jaques, Gilchrist, Hussey, Hodge (who even with a test av over 50 can't make the side regularly.) This side 2nd XI has a lot of very fine and long established pros expecially the batting.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Richard,

If you wanted Bracken in, then for me Hilfenhaus would make way for him. Noffke's been in great form with the ball and if you check out his batting this year could well bat above 8 and push Wato for the number six spot.

So you'd put Hodge at 3, Katich at 4 and Hussey at 5?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True, Hilfenhaus' form this season has been shocking and playing up a level would probably be the last thing he needs currently.

Bracken, Noffke and Tait FTW.

Wouldn't mind too much whether Katich or Hodge batted three TBH, sure they'd both prefer to. Seem to recall Katich batting four behind Hussey, Campbell and Langer in his early days tho.

Pup_23

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pomersbach would have to be in contention for both forms of the game, has been in great form. If we are going on form alone then Watson does not have a hope in hell of playing, Noffke can fill the all rounders spot.

The one day second eleven would be much different with Elliot and Dighton musts. Cosgrove, Voges and Pomersbach would also be under consideration. Cullen would also have to be thought about as the one day spinner.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Pup_23,

Aussie selectors tend to have a pecking order, Watson is the next allrounder after Symonds and would get a gig, (even if his form has tapered due to injury lay-off.) You don't get a FC batting av of 50 by being crap, he would only be the fifth bowler in the team.

There are a couple of other fast bowlers that have good stats this year (eg McInnes) but no ones pushing them, I think you have to go for form over 2-3 years, as much as current form. McGain gets a gig due to low spin stocks.

Pup_23

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pup_23,

Aussie selectors tend to have a pecking order, Watson is the next allrounder after Symonds and would get a gig, (even if his form has tapered due to injury lay-off.) You don't get a FC batting av of 50 by being crap, he would only be the fifth bowler in the team.

There are a couple of other fast bowlers that have good stats this year (eg McInnes) but no ones pushing them, I think you have to go for form over 2-3 years, as much as current form. McGain gets a gig due to low spin stocks.
I understand that the selectors have a pecking order, i was purely saying on form he would not get a game at the moment.

If for some reason Symonds got injured who would they play? They would be crazy to play Watson ahead of a couple of other candidates IMO.

gwo

U19 Debutant
What do you think of England and Shahid Afridi?
*tries his best for a pup_23 impersonation*

I HATE ENGLAND COS THEY DONT HAVE ENOUGH PEOPLE WHO BAT AT A DECENT RATE OF KNOTS.

AND I LOVE SHAHID AFRIDI.

/end

On a serious note.

2XI.
Rogers
Di Venuto
Katich (c)
B Hodge
D Hussey
Watson
Haddin
Noffke
Bracken
Macgill
Tait

Tend to agree with most people here.

That would be a top 5 side in world cricket easily. Only probably India and Sri Lanka (and Australia) would have a crack at it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pomersbach would have to be in contention for both forms of the game, has been in great form. If we are going on form alone then Watson does not have a hope in hell of playing, Noffke can fill the all rounders spot.

The one day second eleven would be much different with Elliot and Dighton musts. Cosgrove, Voges and Pomersbach would also be under consideration. Cullen would also have to be thought about as the one day spinner.
Elliott? He hasn't scored any runs in FC cricket for quite a while now. His last two seasons have been pathetic.

Last edited: