• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussies win matches but lose friends

St-KriS

Cricket Spectator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Welcome to the forum KriS! :)
Thank you! and I must say, this is the first time I've ever been greeted politely on a forum and it does seem quite strange in a thread such as this.

Legglancer

State Regular
McGrath v Sarwan ... how it happened

". . . if we meet, we shall not 'scape a brawl; for now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring." Benvolio, Romeo and Juliet.

The fourth Test between Australia and the West Indies certainly had its share of Shakespearean moments - the drama of a record second-innings run chase, the colour of
the Antiguan crowd, the tension of the on-field confrontations.

The fourth day proved most eventful. The West Indian vice-captain, 21-year-old Ramnaresh Sarwan, was steering his side towards a second-innings total
of 417; one that would save them from the indignity of a 4-0 Test series whitewash. At the other end, fast bowler Glenn McGrath was desperately trying to
turn the game Australia's way.

But having been belted for 21 runs in two overs, McGrath could contain himself no longer, and resorted to an unoriginal, homophobic-themed sledge, with
Sarwan replying with an equally cliched retort relating to his rival's wife.

McGrath to Sarwan: "What does Brian Lara's ---- taste like?"

Sarwan replied: "I don't know, ask your wife."

McGrath began to walk away before turning back and heading to within a foot of Sarwan, screaming: "If you ever f------ mention my wife again,
I'll f------ rip your f------ throat out."

McGrath complained to umpire David Shepherd that Sarwan had referred to his wife Jane (who is having treatment for cancer).

Last edited:

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
What's your view on bodyline 1932/33?
effectively not much different except there were no helmets in those days, and the field was stacked on the legside giving the batsmen no hope.

worse than what Brett Lee did mainly due to the fact there were no helmets then and the wickets were much more dodgy.

but I'm over it - they show specials on that series on the tele every now and then and it gets you going a bit, but you get over it.

it's pretty hard to get hurt when your batting now with helmets and all the protective gear.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He said that?? :O I didn't underestimate the severity of the comment.
don't try and talk it up - that is a nothing comment from McGrath, Sarwan's comment in return was funny, and McGrath got hot headed.

krkode

State Captain
hourn said:
don't try and talk it up - that is a nothing comment from McGrath, Sarwan's comment in return was funny, and McGrath got hot headed.
It's probably a nothing comment to you, but to someone more sensitive to such matters, it would have been very angering. And not everyone is a chisel-jawed Last action hero.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
krkode said:
It's probably a nothing comment to you, but to someone more sensitive to such matters, it would have been very angering. And not everyone is a chisel-jawed Last action hero.
I dont proclaim to be a "chisel-jawed last action hero :rolleyes: " but if someone can't take a comment like that then they are a bit on the soft side.

Most people I would've thought looked at the bowler and laugh as if it say "is that the best sledge you can come up with"

krkode

State Captain
Well, is being soft bad?

Anyway, I think Sarwan's reply was around the lines of what you describe here; "looked at the bowler and laugh as if it say 'is that the best sledge you can come up with'" He just used some words, 'tis all.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
krkode said:
Well, is being soft bad?

Anyway, I think Sarwan's reply was around the lines of what you describe here; "looked at the bowler and laugh as if it say 'is that the best sledge you can come up with'" He just used some words, 'tis all.
I like Sarwan's comments, I haven o problem with Sarwan in this incident.

My comment above was at Mr Xyziptisuabcdef whatever, about his "it was that bad" comment trying to put a spin on it that it was the worst thing ever said on a cricket field

PY

International Coach
If that script is true then, I think that that is a classy reply from Sarwan..............McGrath should just accept that he's been out-sledged and get on with it. But I still don't think that comments like McGrath's to start off with are that suitable for a cricket match and therefore Sarwan's isn't either. Still funny though :lol:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hourn said:
My comment above was at Mr Xyziptisuabcdef whatever, about his "it was that bad" comment trying to put a spin on it that it was the worst thing ever said on a cricket field
At what point did I indicate that it was the worst thing ever said on a cricket field? All I said, was that it was worse than I thought it was.

Legglancer

State Regular
hourn said:
I like Sarwan's comments, I haven o problem with Sarwan in this incident.

By far not the worst thing coming out of a aussie cricketer ! But it still is pretty disgusting.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sledging is an ugly part of modern cricket which was brought into the game by the "Ugly Aussies". Everyone(even the Aussies) agrees about that.

There is no rule book which says that you are within the laws or the spirit of the game when you abuse some one's color or race or ancestry. Playing cricket hard and with passion is one thing, but if you say that sledging is what brings passion to the game, that's the most ridiculous statement I have heard. It basically says that people played passionless cricket before sledging came in and fired up their passions. :rolleyes:

The Aussies don't win because they abuse some one's ancestry or race, they win because they are simply the better team. This is applicable for any team in any sport for that matter. They shouldn't need to bring the game into disrepute in order to have the fire and passion to win.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The whole fire and passion talk about sledging is rubbish.When the Aussies get it back in some other form they start taking exceptions to it like Ganguly keeping Steve Waugh waiting for the toss and stuff like that.What makes Ganguly's tactics a slap on the traditions of the game and the Aussie tactics all kosher.

When the Aussies lost in Calcutta in 2001 then Steve Waugh was so flustered at the intensity of the game, he remarked "Its only a game, mate" .....well sometimes if things get too heated up, it can become more then a game and that's what is the risk if everybody keeps on doing it completely unchecked.

masterblaster

International Captain
Cricketers are like idols to young people, they certainly were for me, and still are. Words like that, and actions like the current ones project a rather poor image of our wonderful and peaceful game which is cricket.

Its not like its a warzone or a battlefield. Its only a game, one team must lose, one team must win. The desire to win is immense, but offensive and rather ***ually derogatory words should NOT be in the game.

The spirit of cricket is slowly dying a slow and painful death. Already the world is in such a DIRE DIRE situation with hate and unrest throughout the world. Is it so much to ask, that a form of entertainment, our beautiful game be exempt from further hatred, and be played in a spirit which siginfies humanity, sportsmanship and success?

Is that so much to ask? A little "mental disintegration" is fine, but turning the "gentleman's game" into a game of the savages is not what I have in mind. I admire everything about the Australian's, their passion, their commitment, their intensity.

But do I respect them as good natured and humble people???

I just don't know anymore. And this to me is rather saddening

Legglancer

State Regular
Gray concerned about Australian behaviour
Wisden CricInfo staff - 21 May 2003

Malcolm Gray, president of the International Cricket Council (ICC), has expressed concern
at the increasingly aggressive on-field behaviour of the Australian players, and stated that
the ICC would scrutinise the incidents that took place during Australia's ongoing tour of the
West Indies.

Speaking to reporters in Melbourne, Gray indicated that the match officials should have
taken stern action against the errant players. "From all of the reports we got it
appeared...that the behaviour of the players was quite over the odds. It's something that we
don't want in the sport and that in those circumstances, greater action and more sterner
action should have been taken."

Gray was especially worried that the Australians were building a reputation as poor
sportsmen. "Australians are not liked around the world," Gray said. "The messages we were
getting was that the Australian public and the Australian press felt it was way over the
top...this time the Australian people believed the actions were beyond the pale."

Gray stressed that the onus was on both the ICC and the national cricket boards to ensure
that player behaviour improved across all teams. "In terms of process it is an ICC matter, in
other words the umpires, referees and so forth," he said. "However, in terms of the
longer-term problem, it really is up to the national bodies to develop within their teams a
change in culture."

The four-Test series between Australia and West Indies were marred by on-field altercations, which reached a head
when Glenn McGrath charged at Ramnaresh Sarwan and exchanged heated words in the fourth Test in Antigua.
Both players were reprieved by Mike Procter, the match referee, who decided not to take any punitive action.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sledging is an ugly part of modern cricket which was brought into the game by the "Ugly Aussies". Everyone(even the Aussies) agrees about that.
The term 'sledging' came from an Australian Test cricketer (people think Kerry O'Keefe I believe) but sledging as a behaviour is nothing new and no-one could possibly verify where it actually came from. How could you possibly believe that it started with Australia?? How would anyone ever really know WHO started it? And I don't think you'd get any Aussies claiming ownership of the concept either. No-one is that dumb.

Every Test playing nation sledges; Argue otherwise and you run the risk of appearing an idiot. The Aussie cricketers are just too stupid to hide it, possibly because they think they can get away with it. If the ICC's performance in recent times is any indication, that's a fair call on their part.

Last edited:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
If the ICC's performance in recent times is any indication, that's a fair call on their part.
And that's what has to change.ICC needs to clamp down on this menace.It is getting out of control because of inaction as well as gross inconsistency in actions as well in part of ICC.