• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie World Cup Squad

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As expected, no Steve Waugh, but Hogg in preference to Hauritz and Symonds ahead of Blewett surprise me!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's the full squad:

lAussie WC Squad

Maybe someone can write it up in full if they can be arsed...it's 2:32am and I blatently can't.

Yeah that is an odd squad...and not as strong as some of the previous Aussie Squads I might add. Brad Hogg and Andy Symonds are quite odd choices in my opinion.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hang on...I just noticed that they picked 2 Keepers in the Provisional 30...and picked neither for the World Cup 15...who's the backup keeper? Langer could have been but he wasn't picked either...I knew something was missing...

Eclipse

International Debutant
They must feel they wont need a back up keeper its not that supprising.

Squad looks pritty much as expected dont know why all you english though Blewett was going to get a place.

I am disapointed M.Clark was not selected and I would have taken Huritz instead of Hogg.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Rik said:
Hang on...I just noticed that they picked 2 Keepers in the Provisional 30...and picked neither for the World Cup 15...who's the backup keeper? Langer could have been but he wasn't picked either...I knew something was missing...
probably Ponting. I reckon its a good choice if because they'll gain more by having a backup batsmen in Maher than a backup keeper in Campbell/Haddin.

But please, someone tell me what is the deal with Brad Hogg. Why all of a sudden this new found infatuation with him.

"his performances over the past few years" haven't really been that good:
2002/03 - 3 matches, 2inns-0no-60runs. 21overs-0mdns-1wkt-89runs.
2001/02 - 10 matches, 9inns-4no-128runs. 57.1overs-0mdns-12wkts-307runs.
2000/01 - 11 matches, 8inns-5no-131runs. 63.4overs-0mdns-11wkts-362runs.

24 matches, 19inns, 9no, 319runs at 31.9. 141.5overs, 0 mdns, 24 wkts at 31.58. E/R: 5.33.

his now a batting all rounder, as his bowling is very rank ordinary indeed, and his performances haven't really been that great. If Warne goes down and his our spin bowler then were in more trouble than what i thought.

Added to that - he is over 30 now, and has run his race.

Hauritz would've been a much better option IMO, or going with another quick bowler such as Noffke or Bracken.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Well i'm gland that Watson is in the team who i think is a great propect. Hauritz should have been in the team though, he has done well in the matches he played , didn't he??.
Symond has got another chance, he's not much of a bowler, but is a brillinat fielder!

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hmmmmmm......

Yeah, I don't know about Hogg or Symo. Sure, they're good prospects, but would you have the confidence to pick them to play in the World Cup Final if you needed to???

Oh, and just to prove how strong Aussie cricket is, here's a team of the fellas who missed out...

M.Waugh
Langer
Blewett
Love
Clarke
S.Waugh
Campbell
I. Harvey
N.Hauritz
Noffke
Bracken
Williams

Damn that's good.... who's up for an Australia vs Australia A match????

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
MrPerko said:

M.Waugh
Langer
Blewett
Love
Clarke
S.Waugh
Campbell
I. Harvey
N.Hauritz
Noffke
Bracken
Williams

Oops..... I failed maths in year 3.

Love can be 12th man.

chris.hinton

International Captain
The Aussies seem to not pick youngsters in the fifth test they pick Williams and not Rofe surely they should give a chance to some younger players

Eclipse

International Debutant
chris.hinton said:
The Aussies seem to not pick youngsters in the fifth test they pick Williams and not Rofe surely they should give a chance to some younger players
Its a delema they face because there are soo many good players in the domestic set up who have been pusing there case for so long.

For example its hard to say no to say somone like Maher and just give somone like Cark a go after one good season.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Its a delema they face because there are soo many good players in the domestic set up who have been pusing there case for so long.

For example its hard to say no to say somone like Maher and just give somone like Cark a go after one good season.
Yeah but picking Williams is quite odd, he hasn't really stood up and made people notice this season. Bracken or Noffke really should have been picked.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Consistency of selection I presume. Williams went out to Pakistan as cover, so they view him as the 5th Pace Bowler.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
It hasn't hurt them of late, has it?

I think the activities of a certain forum member led us to thinking Blewett ought to be in the squad... though picking Hogg & Symonds seems to be a touch surprising if there are a couple of injuries to the bowling department.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well yes the bowling does look a little weak if there is an injury. I don't know what the selectors have against Harvey, but I thought they had come to the conclusion that Symonds wasn't a good enough bowler to take the All-Rounder spot when they picked Watson.

It's kinda interisting though, that Watson has an inferior bowling record to Symonds in ODIs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
It hasn't hurt them of late, has it?

I think the activities of a certain forum member led us to thinking Blewett ought to be in the squad...
Which forum member would that be?

Come on, own up!

V Reddy

International Debutant
Maybe you are talking about me. I still think Blewett is a better bowler than Watson at the moment atleast in International cricket and he is bowling regularly this season. Watson bowls most of the time when the other side is in big trouble and playing to survive the 50 overs and still he goes at 5 an over. I still don't know why Harvey was dropped when he just beginning to bowl well in International Cricket. My order of allrounders of AUS will be Harvey,Symonds,Blewett and Watson.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
vishnureddy said:
Maybe you are talking about me. I still think Blewett is a better bowler than Watson at the moment atleast in International cricket and he is bowling regularly this season. Watson bowls most of the time when the other side is in big trouble and playing to survive the 50 overs and still he goes at 5 an over. I still don't know why Harvey was dropped when he just beginning to bowl well in International Cricket. My order of allrounders of AUS will be Harvey,Symonds,Blewett and Watson.

Harvey was the most overrated player, someone to have been described as the best oneday bowler in the game ( by Waugh) was hardly that impressive with the ball, nor was he that good with the bat.Symonds isn't much of a bowler , but he can bat and is a superb fielder.Watson is a the best among them all, his oneday bowling stats might not be great, but he has all the potential to develop into a fine allrounder.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I agree that he is the most talented of them all. But there are many talented players in the world who have failed. If you go by talent then Laxman should not be dropped at all.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Watson is good, so what if he gets hit occasionally, BUT HE DOES NOT GO FOR MANY WHEN THE OTHER TEAMS ARE IN TROUBLE

also, at least he can bat unlike Harvey and Symonds