• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie spin

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know you don't, because you sometimes seem to think I can't possibly be right on a single cricketing subject so therefore I must resent Shane Warne's skill.
It was more about the phrasing, but anyway. I'm sure you can be right on a single cricketing subject, and given that I'm patient I'm prepared to wait for that moment:happy:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Murali is no more fingerspin than Warne or Chandrasekhar.

The focus has been correctly directed at his wrist because it's flexible. That's why he can bowl wristspin in such an unorthadox manner, a manner that no-one else without such a wrist will ever be able to.
Ba bom.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You're right, I've read countless descriptions of a previous game in the paper and not thought "What the hell are these people talking about, that sounds nothing like what actually happened!" The only way an article is a decent substitute for watching the game is if you have no idea about the game in the first place. You don't write for a paper by any chance do you?
My guess would be no, since newspapers need good writers or they don't sell and if they don't sell they end up folding.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
My problem with you Richy is your failure to admit you`re wrong 99.99% of the time. You`ve got a very good point in the lack of Test-standard spin options in Australian Cricket, but I can`t see how by reading scorecards you`ll be able to tell exactly who will be Test-standard.

Finger-spinners on Australian decks get pretty much no assistance, and I don`t know if that means them having a higher average is acceptable. If Cullen or someone averaged around 35 while keeping the runs down for a season, I`d find that extremely pleasing. What also needs to be taken into consideration is a bowler`s home ground, such as in Cullen`s example where his Adelaide track is as flat as Barton. A problem for mine is that Cullen has been taken under Terry Jenner`s wing, and I don`t think this will benefit Cullen at all.

Bailey is another under Jenner`s watch, but from all reports, it`s helping him turn the ball at least.

As has been pointed out in this thread earlier, White does not currently have the accuracy to be a force in Test Cricket. Too often he`ll bowl a poor ball to completely release any pressure he just had. I still think he can be a handy option in ODI cricket where this flaw doesn`t matter as much, as fields are more defensive and a wicket or two completely negates it anyway.

As for Doran, Heal and company, I`ve got nothing. From everything I`ve read, watched, heard, found out about Heal, I think he will be a gun, but no-one else agrees with me. :D And I could well be wrong. But I think he`s got the accuracy and temprament to go far.

Hauritz doesn`t have it all together, but I can see him improving, especially now he`s in NSW, with a great system in place that benefits spinners moreso than other states.

All-in-all, I see what you mean, but I think you`re under-rating the strength of Australia`s spinners, especially when you`ve had limited opportunities to see them first-hand, or at all.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Richard said:
And you cleverly picked two unrelated comments
Actually they were one after another. You obviously know how the quote function works so if you don't want to look foolish you should have used it... 8-)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Bad stats are about just looking at one banal number (like 30.67, MacGill's Test average) and not breaking it down to give it greater examination.
Well, if we're going to look at "bad" stats, let's start there. Because as much as you might like to think it is, that isn't actually Stuart MacGill's Test bowling average.