• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie selfishness

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay I was amused to see Australia carry on their inning and declare only after Warne reached a fifty in the 2nd Australia - New Zealand test. http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat..._IN_NZ/SCORECARDS/AUS_NZ_T2_18-22MAR2005.html

Why!?

They had more than enough on the board and a day had already been lost due to rain. As it proved, the Australians did fall short on time. A declaration 20 runs earlier wouldnt make a HUGE difference but had there been 2 hours of less rain, a latter declaration may have been crucial.

It is just a point in case of a captain who called Lara's 400 selfish when it was one of the mor eimportant innings in Windies recent cricket which restored some pride back into their cricket after the humiliation suffered earlier in that series.

Swervy

International Captain
without the rain, Australia would have actually had something like 220 overs to take 20 NZ wickets..something I am sure they would have been confident about

Australia only declared 2 overs I think after what was probably a logical time for a declaration...and thats the difference between this and Laras 400...logically WI, if really after a victory vs England should have declared quite a bit earlier than they did

biased indian

International Coach
i think they should have declared after passing 500 with follow on mark at 150 (if i am correct)
asking NZ to score 350 was more than enough

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
Australia only declared 2 overs I think after what was probably a logical time for a declaration
Why wait for milestones. Specially from a captain who pounces on other teams for aiming for exactly those.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Why wait for milestones. Specially from a captain who pounces on other teams for aiming for exactly those.
Maybe Warne was told that he had only a couple of overs to do his stuff...we dont know whether Ponting would have declared anyway if Warne had have taken his time over it...Warnes 50 came in under 40 balls, it wasnt as though Warne was holding everything up....

Lara on the other hand slowed down on that third day,and probably batted on maybe a session too long.It wasnt as though Ponting was the only one to question Laras motives..Andy roberts, who was commentating for English radio, was quite vocal when it came to criticising Lara on that third day

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
Maybe Warne was told that he had only a couple of overs to do his stuff...we dont know whether Ponting would have declared anyway if Warne had have taken his time over it...Warnes 50 came in under 40 balls, it wasnt as though Warne was holding everything up....

Lara on the other hand slowed down on that third day,and probably batted on maybe a session too long.It wasnt as though Ponting was the only one to question Laras motives..Andy roberts, who was commentating for English radio, was quite vocal when it came to criticising Lara on that third day
but the fact is that
there was prediction for rain on the last two days
already a days play was lost due to rain
the follow on mark was down to 150
and australia already had more than 500

and y did they had to wait for some one's to reach a milestone ,which their captain had claimed that they don't do.so there is no question of giving warne x number of overs and it was only a fifty not the hundred which warne desperetly wants

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
but the fact is that
there was prediction for rain on the last two days
already a days play was lost due to rain
the follow on mark was down to 150
and australia already had more than 500

and y did they had to wait for some one's to reach a milestone ,which their captain had claimed that they don't do.so there is no question of giving warne x number of overs and it was only a fifty not the hundred which warne desperetly wants
well you cant say what was going through Pontings mind at the time..coz you dont know!!!!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
well you cant say what was going through Pontings mind at the time..coz you dont know!!!!
Known for a fact - he waited for Warne to get a pointless milestone before he declared

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...N_IND/SCORECARDS/PAK_IND_T2_16-20MAR2005.html

In around the same time, in the 2nd India-Pakistan test, India did not wait for a possible Irfan Pathan half century. He was making the runs pretty quick and he could have needed just two more overs too to get a possible 50.

Surprising really that a subcontinental team didnt show the selfishness it is so very acknowledged of showing when an Aussie team shows the milestone attraction.

Link

State Vice-Captain
yeah, but like mentioned the declaration would not have made much difference. Also in relation to lara's decision, if i was him i would have done the exact same no doubt.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Known for a fact - he waited for Warne to get a pointless milestone before he declared
oh...if he has said that then fair enough.

However, I think that this is comparing apples to oranges (to use awful management speak)...Ponting delayed the declaration by 2 overs (in my opinion)..Lara delayed a declaration by 2 hours (if not more)..

here is what Ponting said about Lara:"I've read some of the reports in the paper over the last couple of days about Lara's innings. Their whole first innings might have been geared around one individual performance and they could have let a Test match slip because of it."

Well I dont think australias innings was geared around Warnes 50 was it..he batted on 2 overs,during a time he was scoring much faster than a run a ball...its a completely different scenario

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
However, I think that this is comparing apples to oranges (to use awful management speak)...Ponting delayed the declaration by 2 overs (in my opinion)..Lara delayed a declaration by 2 hours (if not more)..
Compare it with Irfan Pathan's inning at a similar pace.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...N_IND/SCORECARDS/PAK_IND_T2_16-20MAR2005.html

In around the same time, in the 2nd India-Pakistan test, India did not wait for a possible Irfan Pathan half century. He was making the runs pretty quick and he could have needed just two more overs too to get a possible 50.

Surprising really that a subcontinental team didnt show the selfishness it is so very acknowledged of showing when an Aussie team shows the milestone attraction.
again..its a completely different scenario..India were trying to break a 0-0 draw vs Pakistan,already 420 in the lead with time in the match ticking away..Australia were only half way through the third day...with a maximum of 220 overs to play....whilst 1-0 up in the series..

I cant beleive people are quibbling over 2 overs

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Compare it with Irfan Pathan's inning at a similar pace.
why compare it anyway..you were the one to have a go at Ponting for his comments about Lara..why is India dragged into this all of a sudden

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
I cant beleive people are quibbling over 2 overs
Its not quibbling. Its proving a point.

And they are similar situations. You want to win the match. There is rain predicted in the later part. 2 overs wouldnt make a huge difference either way. Yet Ponting goes for a delay for a milestone. Another team which is accused along with other subcontinental teams doesnt.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Its not quibbling. Its proving a point.

And they are similar situations. You want to win the match. There is rain predicted in the later part. 2 overs wouldnt make a huge difference either way. Yet Ponting goes for a delay for a milestone. Another team which is accused along with other subcontinental teams doesnt.
When has Ponting directly accused India of doing such a thing???

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
why compare it anyway..you were the one to have a go at Ponting for his comments about Lara..why is India dragged into this all of a sudden
The subcontinental teams have been accused of selfishness and its ironic such is shown by the often comment sharp Aussies themselves on the issue.

I havent dragged India into it. The Aussies have by mentioning in the past of selfishness. Also accusing the Windies of the same when the series was lost and more pride was gained through the 400 than a last test possible victory could ever.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
The subcontinental teams have been accused of selfishness and its ironic such is shown by the often comment sharp Aussies themselves on the issue.

I havent dragged India into it. The Aussies have by mentioning in the past of selfishness. Also accusing the Windies of the same when the series was lost and more pride was gained through the 400 than a last test possible victory could ever.
I can remember Hayden saying something about milestone hunting and Asian teams..but I think he was referring to ODI's as opposed to tests..I cannot recall Ponting ever saying India were guilty of such things...infact, the one article I have ever read about this was I think wrtitten by an Asian gentleman on Cricinfo.

You have dragged India into I am afraid...the discussion was regarding Lara and its similarities/differences with warnes 50...you see the arguement slipping away from you because there really is no comparison, so you bring up pathan.