• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Public going soft?

Slow Love™

International Captain
howardj said:
What's your attitude to the Aussies winning though? :ph34r:
OK, I admit I felt some hardness watching Gilly tearing it up yesterday.

That aside, I'm probably getting more thrills out of India serving it up to the Saffies.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
To be fair, who in Australia, men and women, didn`t have something going on downstairs when watching it? No-one.

Leigh

Cricket Spectator
I would like it to be close because for all the English fans getting thrashed 4-1 or 5-nil is something that they are used so it won't faze them too much. However, if we won 3-2 or 2-1 with us winning 1 match by a few runs or 1 wicket than I would think that would hurt for a long time.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Leigh said:
I would like it to be close because for all the English fans getting thrashed 4-1 or 5-nil is something that they are used so it won't faze them too much. However, if we won 3-2 or 2-1 with us winning 1 match by a few runs or 1 wicket than I would think that would hurt for a long time.
Welcome to the forums.. I think you'll find England won in 2005

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Leigh said:

ripper868

International Coach
england players got OBE's for winning the ashes? How about Victorian crosses than for the aussie team. i will now point out i am joking about the victorian crosses.

Leigh

Cricket Spectator
Langeveldt said:
Welcome to the forums.. I think you'll find England won in 2005
I am aware of that but they have been thrashed in every other series against Australia since 1989. It hurts more when you know you could have won.

Dydl

International Debutant
ripper868 said:
england players got OBE's for winning the ashes? How about Victorian crosses than for the aussie team. i will now point out i am joking about the victorian crosses.
It's a sad world, isn't it?

valvolux

Cricket Spectator
I think the team has gone soft on critising the opposition off the field...but on the field you can still hear warney and co ribbing each and every one of them and that's music to my ears. The media have been pretty harsh over here though I reckon, whilst still praising the few good english performances. I'd hate to wake up to some of the headlines that have been thrown around during the 3rd test.

I'd take 5 innings wins over a 3-2 tightly fought series any day. I can watch the australian cricket team win all day long. It's always going to be the same story for the poms with cricket....boring when australia is winning, best game on earth when australia is losing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm gonna be pedantic here, but your players didn't get OBEs, they got MBEs. So there.

And tbh I think most people in the country felt they deserved them, in comparison to some other awards that get dished out ("Sir" Alex anyone?).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In theory yes, but it's against forum rules!!!

Actually, I'll just change the Geraint I worship. That'll work

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I wanted a close series in which England had a chance of winning yet at the last moment it was to be taken away from them in a cruel and unusual fashion.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I'm gonna be pedantic here, but your players didn't get OBEs, they got MBEs. So there.

And tbh I think most people in the country felt they deserved them, in comparison to some other awards that get dished out ("Sir" Alex anyone?).
It was all just a bit too OTT, as England so often goes when they win something. Going awards-crazy at the first sign of success is to me a glaring indication of a "losing" culture, a culture where you're so shocked to actually win something that you don't know how to react and so go completely over the top. We're dead happy about regaining the Ashes, because it hurt to lose them last year. But this whole Aussie squad isn't going to get the Order of Australia for it.

Though as a United fan, "Sir" Alex is thoroughly deserved. ;)

As for the contest - well I think it HAS been a contest for much of the series, which is why I'm enjoying the scoreline even more. England have played some good cricket, some of the individuals (Pietersen, Hoggard, Collingwood, Cook, Bell) have put in outstanding performances, and they've gotten themselves into strong positions in at least two of the three Tests. And they're still down 3-0. Rather than bemoan the lack of contest, I'm proud of the Aussie boys for having stepped up so well when it's mattered.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If we win the Ashes back in 2009, and don't lose them until 2025, then maybe you'll go a bit OTT upon regaining them....

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
I've noticed here (and pointed out in Off Topic), that Aussie fans seem to be spending more time lamenting this lack of an Ashes contest, than rubbing Pommie noses into the dust with ridicule and the usual hoots of derision that accompany a tour down under.. It seems a strange attitude, and to me it seems like they were happier to be beaten in the 2005 epic than to watch this one sided series..
I guess I'm kind of disappointed in a way, I always like no-contests when I'm on the winning side and couldn't care less for the fate of my opponents, as long as they are being beaten hard, and I thought the majority of Aussies felt the same way too about their cricket and their sport in general.. Thoughts?
I'll tell you what, you give me a link to a thread where I can bag them, and I will bag them like you have never seen before.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
GoT_SpIn said:
I wanted a close series in which England had a chance of winning yet at the last moment it was to be taken away from them in a cruel and unusual fashion.
:laugh:

76.2 Gillespie to Harmison, OUT! That`s ten for the innings! Gillespie bowls a shorter one which hits Harmison on his chest, Harmison screams like a girl and the vibrations from the noise dislodge the bails! Australia win 3-2, and it looks like Harmison has soiled himself. Great work by Gillespie to back-up his 500* in the first-innings. The 5th Test goes to Australia by 2 runs!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
GeraintIsMyHero said:
If we win the Ashes back in 2009, and don't lose them until 2025, then maybe you'll go a bit OTT upon regaining them....
Well now we're getting into the realms of fantasy... :p

Though I do reckon you're more than an outside chance for 2009. Back on home soil, with some exceptional young talent and with much of our team probably gone by then. It will be interesting to see how our new boys step up - I reckon depending on just how many of our current team have gone by then (I'd say McGrath, Langer, Gilly, Hayden and Warney are certain/probable to have gone) there's a real chance that in 2009, for the first time in many years, England will be the more experienced side.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Sean said:
As for the contest - well I think it HAS been a contest for much of the series, which is why I'm enjoying the scoreline even more. England have played some good cricket, some of the individuals (Pietersen, Hoggard, Collingwood, Cook, Bell) have put in outstanding performances, and they've gotten themselves into strong positions in at least two of the three Tests. And they're still down 3-0. Rather than bemoan the lack of contest, I'm proud of the Aussie boys for having stepped up so well when it's mattered.
I concur with that. Perhaps other than in Brisbane (I actually didn't see any of the 1st test after day 1 as I was in Miami) England have been competitive, and they've even won the odd day or two (sometimes pretty convincingly). What their problem has been is the inability transform those sessions won into killer blows (to use a phrase mentioned far too often by the C9 commentary team today). They really should have taken Australia close to a loss in Adelaide, let alone losing themselves, and if you bowl Australia out for 244 you have to get an innings lead.

I think England have been about as competitive as SA were when down here recently. However people saw that as a good competitive and entertaining series because it didn't have that high expectations (there was plenty of banter, but SA hadn't beaten Aus for ages). Compare that to the Ashes which was hyped like no other series I remember. Hence Australia winning 3-0 is always going to make it seem like the series was an absolute drubbing.