• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Associates ODI draft

Teuton

International Captain
For this draft, only players who played an ODI for a nation before that nation played its inaugural Test are eligible. This includes any nations that haven't played Tests.

To compensate for a shallow top end, R3 will be a repeat of R2. Other round orders will be as usual.

Post in if interested.

8 hours per pick.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Why not list the nations this applies to? Would save time people checking and might encourage more participants. In anyway.

Teuton

International Captain
SL (first test 1982), Zimbabwe (1992), Bangladesh (2000), Ireland and Afghanistan (2018) all played odis before tests so only their respective early players are eligible.

Obviously there are many non-test nations that I don't have time to list.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, you're aiming for the best line up to play in an ODI?

Second question: if a player played both before and after a nation's first test, can you still select them based on their career pre-Test? e.g. could you select Andy Flower, but only matches for Zimbabwe pre-Test status would count to his record?

And then if they didn't play an ODI, then they don't count. Actually, probably no matches pre-Test status for Zimbabwe or Sri Lanka would count, other than World Cup matches as in that era, only matches between Test nations were ODIs, as I recall?

Teuton

International Captain
1. Yes, teams will be judged as an odi team.
2. Yes, but the criterion is only used to determine eligibility, players will be judged as odi player based on their career.

Teuton

International Captain
I'm hoping to get a few more with interest in the associate teams, but the list so far is:

1. Teuton
2. Line and Length
3. ataraxia
4. Bitmap
5. CricAddict
6. HeathDavisSpeed
7. mr_mister
8. JOJOXI
9. Pothas

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Are players eligible if they played Tests for another country before they played ODIs for an associate (e.g. John Traicos, Clayton Lambert)?

Teuton

International Captain
Playing for a Test nation doesn't rule you out. If they qualify based on the rule, then they are eligible.

So both of those examples are eligible.

are you in?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Spitballing, and I know the pre existing conditions are quite neat and fair, but if we changed it to "made ODI debut before nation's first test victory" it would allow for a few extra decent names from Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka while still maintaining the spirit of the draft, as those countries were still certainly "minnows" in one sense of the word by that point.

I'm just worried wel be down to players that basically nobody has heard of by like round 7, as well as the bowling stocks being unbelievably bare lol

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Spitballing, and I know the pre existing conditions are quite neat and fair, but if we changed it to "made ODI debut before nation's first test victory" it would allow for a few extra decent names from Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka while still maintaining the spirit of the draft, as those countries were still certainly "minnows" in one sense of the word by that point.

I'm just worried wel be down to players that basically nobody has heard of by like round 7
I think current rule is fine. It is associate draft and not minnow draft. So, not so famous names at the last few rounds should be OK.