• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes 2005 Revisited

pasag

RTDAS
I was enjoying this thread until you brought Murali up. Can we keep Murali out of ashes discussions please.
Huh? He was just making the point that most of today's spin bowlers haven't had the chance to play in a five match series. Was a good point and not worthy of that response.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Huh? He was just making the point that most of today's spin bowlers haven't had the chance to play in a five match series. Was a good point and not worthy of that response.
It was more in the way the comments were phrased. It was headed towards yet another MvW discussion.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It was more in the way the comments were phrased. It was headed towards yet another MvW discussion.
Your comment was along the lines of 'Warne bowled the best in a 5 match series that I have ever seen', he was merely alluding to the point that Murali has never bowled in a 5 match series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does anyone think how much better England would have done if the CB series was before the Ashes in 06/07? Look what they did in the 2005 ashes. Why cant we have ODI series before we have a test series so the players can get used to the pitches and the country in general.

I can't open the ICC future tours program now as the link is broken, but does anyone know whats happening in the 09 Australian tour of England?
Sorry Speersy, can't agree mate.

England played well in the VB series but iirc there was a large amount of disquiet that Buchanan had Australia running a very intensive phsyical fitness program mid-series in order to have them at tehir sharpest for the WC.

I do, however, agree that it would have been better for the England players to have more time to acclimatise here, but that's a porduct of their own administrators' ineptitude. They left the CT early and went home for 1 or 2 weeks, when they could and should have come here and played another 1 or 2 warm up games. Likewise, the Aussies in 05 played the ODI series, but theer was a lack of warm-up 1st class games.

In this day and age it also means less to play a ODI series first when sides now have a core of players who play both forms of the game, but a lot of players who don't.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your comment was along the lines of 'Warne bowled the best in a 5 match series that I have ever seen', he was merely alluding to the point that Murali has never bowled in a 5 match series.
My comment came well after the fact. Still let's drop the issue and talk more about the '05 ashes.

The one thing that I found most interesting about the '05 ashes was the ability for England to still apply the pressure and come back from all their dropped catches. They just kept creating chances.

Poor Martyn and to a lesser extent Katich had bad decisions go against them on a regular basis, but one could argue that if it wasn't for the quality of bowling and pressure that England were putting Australia under that they would not have got those wickets.

The other thing I was disappointed about was that when Flintoff was batting and injured his elbow, NONE OF THE AUSSIES BOWLED BOUNCERS. I mean that was ludicrous. He ended up going on to make a hundred. If someone shows weakness of any kind, you need to exploit it.

One of the other strong lingering memories of that series was the amount of wickets taken off no balls. McGrath and Lee both were culprits (Lee on multiple occasions from memory). I've never seen it so bad in my life before.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What DVD? There wasn't an Ashes series in 2006, I don't know what you're on about. You must be imagining things...:ph34r:
You're right - it never happened. Esoecially Adelaide, which absolutely never happened even more than the rest of the god-forsaken series. I find that life works better that way.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
You're right - it never happened. Esoecially Adelaide, which absolutely never happened even more than the rest of the god-forsaken series. I find that life works better that way.
Yep. I'm showing the Ashes 2005 DVDs to my classes so that they'll go away with the mistaken impression that England are better than Australia at cricket. :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
As appropriate a thread as any to provide my return to CC, I feel.

Showed some of my French pupils part of my Ashes DVDs the other day - all they could say was "oh, it's like baseball". Had no idea. The great thing was that I got to stand there watching Freddie smash it around at Edgbaston with a massive smile on my face and they had no idea why. :D
Given the fours and sixes the DVD set is flooded with (it is excellently edited but it mostly fours, sixes and wickets), I can't blame the pupils for thinking this. Maybe you can show them the Simon Hughes Analysts in the bonus DVD and the slow motion shots (also in the bonus DVD). Also, show them Simon Jones' wickets again :cool:.

Last edited: