• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Around the world draft

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have an idea for a draft.

I'm gonna cap this draft at 9 players.

Basically, every first class team in the world is available until a single player who played from them is picked, then they are off the table.

In the case where a player played for multiple FC teams, they have to be picked from their original FC team. So a Pakistani player who went to play county has to be picked from his Pakistan FC team. This is to ensure the asian sides actually get represented, coz they'll definitely need to be. Also, the FC side must have played in their nation's premier comp(Ranji trophy, County Championship, Sheffield Shield etc). This rules out Cricket Australia XI for example.

There are over 180 FC teams in the world, but realistically there are probably only 100 sides with players worth picking. (~30 in the Aus, NZ, WI and SA comps, ~20 in county cricket, and ~50 in the India/SL/Pak comps). So 9 x 11 means there should at least be a path for everyone to pick a full side of test players, though test players of very, very varying quality.

I actually know very, very little about the India,Pak and SL systems - but I assume there is still at least one good player from most of the sides. You only need 1 after all for the team to be viable.

Should be fun right?

mr_mister

if someone can make a case that there is up to 110, 120 etc viable teams with a decent test player, we can up the amount of drafters a bit. Maybe we could get it up to 11.

I don't know how keen people will even be due to what will probably be a lot of research for some of the asian teams, but this is CW!

mr_mister

Also, the FC side must have played in their nation's premier comp(Ranji trophy, County Championship, Sheffield Shield etc). This rules out Cricket Australia XI for example.

Did Cambidge play in the CC? If they did I may need to tinker with the rules further. I'd prefer Atherton to be eligible for Lancashire

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Sorry, didn't read the full post.
How about players who made their debut outside the country they later played for, e.g. Gordon Greenidge?

mr_mister

Well, maybe I can just add a rule they must represent their 'home' FC team, eg from the country/test playing nation they represented

mr_mister

I would rather people represent their birth country but KP is a tricky one. Him either falling under an SA or English FC team doesn't seem too out of the ordinary, maybe in circumstances like his, where someone was born in one test nation but played test cricket for a different one, the decison can be up to the drafter. But only in those circumstances

Pothas

Don't think it would work with just active players would it?

How does South Africa work?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imo one player should be available for multiple teams. 99 unique teams should be pretty interesting without any additional rules.