• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are cricketers paid too much?

Trev36

Cricket Spectator
I’ve just been watching this video on the top 10 richest cricketers in the world. I can’t believe how much they earn at the top of their game. Nice to know cricket is really appreciated, but it got me thinking, are cricketers paid too much?

https://youtu.be/s3jwuPaS0k8

https://youtu.be/s3jwuPaS0k8

I assume a lot of money comes from endorsement deals?

I would love to hear all your thoughts.

cnerd123

likes this
They aren't paid nearly as enough as they should be, when compared to other sports of similar popularity

Granted that's because all the money is concentrated in India, and which is why it's only Indian cricketers that get paid well

gemdeng11

Banned
They aren't paid nearly as enough as they should be, when compared to other sports of similar popularity

Granted that's because all the money is concentrated in India, and which is why it's only Indian cricketers that get paid well
I agree that.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most top-level athletes are paid way too much for what they do

Economically, though, you could argue they get paid not enough

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Australian cricketers are paid well

At the top end, Cummins is earning well over $5 million

Pretty sure that a player who plays every Shield game earns over $200k and more if they have a BBL contract

morgieb

Compared to other athletes the answer is no.

In general though I kind of agree with TJB.

cnerd123

likes this
Australian cricketers are paid well

At the top end, Cummins is earning well over $5 million

Pretty sure that a player who plays every Shield game earns over $200k and more if they have a BBL contract
how does an Australian cricketer's salary compare to a top Australian athlete in other sports?

social

how does an Australian cricketer's salary compare to a top Australian athlete in other sports?
In terms of Australian team sports, the top test cricketers are the highest paid athletes in the country by some distance

Cummins base salary last season was $2 million +

The highest paid footballers are lucky to make half that

Obviously, there are some individuals based overseas (e.g. basketballers & golfers) who earn plenty but that’s a different scenario

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Without getting into the overall economics and moral considerations, I am interested in what cricketers make only to the extent that it remains a plausible career for a common man in the countries where it is played. I think today in INdia being a FC cricketer can be considered a decent career that can get you upto upper middle class level life as long as you figure out what you are gonna get into once you are past your playing days. And I think that is a reasonable improvement to the time even in the early 90s where every cricketer also had a basically "honorary" job to ensure they could pursue cricket, even international cricket, without having to worry about how to run their families.

TheJediBrah

In terms of Australian team sports, the top test cricketers are the highest paid athletes in the country by some distance

Cummins base salary last season was $2 million +

The highest paid footballers are lucky to make half that

Obviously, there are some individuals based overseas (e.g. basketballers & golfers) who earn plenty but that’s a different scenario
The other consideration (somewhat relevant) is that the top salaries for cricketers are only received by a few players. Other sports have a lot more players receiving the higher salaries, cricket drops off a lot quicker as you go down the pole.

social

The other consideration (somewhat relevant) is that the top salaries for cricketers are only received by a few players. Other sports have a lot more players receiving the higher salaries, cricket drops off a lot quicker as you go down the pole.
True but given the fact that the men’s international teams are the only profit centres, 200k + for Shield & women players is pretty good

By way of comparison, average salary in WNBA is USD60k

social

The thing that surprised me is how much they are being paid by equipment manufacturers

a massive zebra

International Captain
About five years ago, a certain reliable and consistent but unspectacular Yorkshire pace bowler was earning £70k. He played regularly for the county, but perhaps might not have done if they had a fully fit squad with no England calls. This lead me to believe the leading division 1 county players will be earning over £100k.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
About five years ago, a certain reliable and consistent but unspectacular Yorkshire pace bowler was earning £70k. He played regularly for the county, but perhaps might not have done if they had a fully fit squad with no England calls. This lead me to believe the leading division 1 county players will be earning over £100k.
Patterson? Brooks?

Chubb

International Regular
When he was coach of Zimbabwe, Alan Butcher saw some of his players queuing up for a food handout before a first class game.