• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anil Kumble steps down from the post of Head Coach

BigCaine

School Boy/Girl Captain
What evidence of Kohli ego?

Evidence of Kumble bad coaching - removed as captain not happy with him, none or very few players came out to even say he was a good coach.
I get that you want to defend kohli but seriously, you think kohli doesn't have an ego, he got bhogle fired alongside dhoni and bacchan because he did not like the comments, how's that for an ego. Also how is captain not being happy about a coach evidence of his poor abilities and about players just remember they play for a captain who gets coaches and comms fired when he doesn't like them, good luck getting someone to go against him in the team.

Frankly it is a very poor precedent being set, kiss up to kohli or you get fired, even when chappell was mucking the whole thing up, he was sacked only after he managed to get us out of the worldcup in the first round not because the players weren't happy with him. Kohli should have been told to suck up and behave like an adult, most of leaks that have come against kumble seem to be about him being overbearing and giving players a piece of his mind, what is he supposed to say, great job guys you just got utterly humiliated by your bitterest rival in a final fantastic work, you can hold your heads high. The best thing about this incident though is lot of the media seem to be pro kumble and hopefully kohli gets taken a down a peg or two when the South African tour takes place.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kohli is no angel but I can definitely tell you I am not gaining any respect for Kumble from that tweet. There was definitely a better way to handle this and he seems to be trying pretty hard to come out as the good guy in this one. And based on twitter, it is working. He is reacting just as bad as Shastri did last year when they removed him.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli said he had respect for Kumble "as a player", which seems very carefully worded too.

They both look like pathetic babies tbh. Poor stuff from all involved. I don't know why they can't just stfu and move on without taking passive aggressive shots at each other.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol... the Kohli quotes came AFTER I posted. Anyways, I kinda expect Kohli to behave the way he has been, and I would even say he has shown slightly more maturity in handling this than I expected, in that I expected a much more direct response with less minced words. But its the senior statesman Kumble I am extremely disappointed at. So maybe its down to my expectations out of these guys, even though as you say, they have both behaved equally pathetically on this issue.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli believes he's Indian cricket. He's not and his form had been atrocious since the start of the year.

He should be dropped as captain. He's not good for team harmony and the Indian players need to realise that cricket is a team game and no player is bigger than the game.

But that's not Indian cricket which relies on cult of personality. There's no way an Australian skipper could get away with what Kohli has gotten away with here.

This is why Warne was never made captain.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
The issue is not so much with Kohli but the attitidue of some of these players who supposedly can't man up to take a solid talking to when needed. Kohli's issue is that he is perhaps overloyal with his players, so you have a situation where Kumble may have been right in what he said and did, but Kohli likes his players too much to tell them they are the wrong ones.

This is largely based on speculation, but I simply can't imagine that this whole one year where Indian cricket has been all but perfect (expect the CT final) was done under strained captain-coach relations.

deleting a past tweet welcoming someone who you worked with for a year is absolutely childish though, Kohli deserves flak for that definitely.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
See, my problem is there is no real explanation of what "holding a mirror up" means. Having worked with a number of people, esp. grumpy old folks who think they have seen it all in their day, I can easily imagine how this can go wrong if not done in the right manner. Being a great player does not automatically give you the right to put down current players. People seem too bought into this narrative of the current team being arrogant brats and Kumble being this gentleman being punished just for trying to talk back to them. Having heard certain stories about Kumble from some folks in the know whom I do trust in this matter, I feel that is not even half true with respect to what might have gone down in the dressing room.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What I find lovely is that no one had any idea about Kumble not working. No reports about it while disagreements have gone on for months apparently. The most ridiculous was the Anand Vasu article rubbishing it all during the tournament. He even kept saying it's not a rift and giving definitions of what a rift is to people on Twitter after the Kumble statement. I wish we had better sports journalism and writing.

Last edited: