• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds

open365

International Vice-Captain
His record says no,but my heart says yes.

I really can't fathom why he's doing so badly in test cricket,his technique and ability look good enough to me for him to be averaging at least 40.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Temperament is where it's at.

His bowling yesterday did him plenty of favours with the selectors, I'd imagine.

Still, I'd return Martyn to the fold (or even move Jaques to 6 when Langer returns).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Obviously he has to treat each ball on it's merit, but don't you have to do it in anyother game you play no matter what version?
No. One day cricket is about hitting balls that don't deserve to be hit.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I think he might have turned the corner today. I feel that he had a lot of self doubt that he belonged at this level and the lack of performance and the media has put made him put him self under a lot of pressure. His performance today should make him relax a bit more when he is batting and hopefully score a few runs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mavric41 said:
I think he might have turned the corner today. I feel that he had a lot of self doubt that he belonged at this level and the lack of performance and the media has put made him put him self under a lot of pressure. His performance today should make him relax a bit more when he is batting and hopefully score a few runs.
Hope so.

Definitely has the talent and technique.

His fielding is also a massive bonus.

Josh

International Regular
social said:
Hope so.

Definitely has the talent and technique.

His fielding is also a massive bonus.
Oh yeh he's definitely got what it takes, perhaps it's a bit too late and they should've tried blooding him in tests 4 or 5 years ago.

Better than Watson I reckon but his performance doesn't show it.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
of course symonds is good enough for test cricket, unfortunately his scores just haven't shown that yet. It's a bit like his one day career IMO, once he has that one good innings and understands what it takes to get up there to 100, there'll be no turning back.

ps it wouldn't surprise me if symonds plays cricket for another 8-10 years.......very fit, athletic and almost no injury problems whatsoever.

Mister Wright

Crazy Sam said:
ps it wouldn't surprise me if symonds plays cricket for another 8-10 years.......very fit, athletic and almost no injury problems whatsoever.
Yeah, but for which team... :p

Mister Wright

Symonds is a test quality player, I've seen far too many brilliant first class innings in troubled situation to doubt his ability at test level, however some players just don't get the luck or for whatever reason just don't perform. He showed today that he has the ability to be a handy bowling prospect for Australia, he now needs a big innings in the 2nd to give him some breathing space.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Crazy Sam said:
of course symonds is good enough for test cricket, unfortunately his scores just haven't shown that yet. It's a bit like his one day career IMO, once he has that one good innings and understands what it takes to get up there to 100, there'll be no turning back.
He knows perfectly well already what it takes to get up there to 100 already - 8 innings, hey presto, 100.

Sorry. Not what you meant?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Symonds is a test quality player, I've seen far too many brilliant first class innings in troubled situation to doubt his ability at test level
The same can be said for players like Mark Ramprakash, Graeme Hick and Hasan Rasa. Some players just cant take the next step.

Symonds may well turn out to be a decent test batsman, but Im sick of hearing comments like "of course symonds is good enough for test cricket" where there is every chance that he isnt.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, I think him getting wickets has done his confidence a world of good and he's playing a bit more freely. This is a fantastic innings, it'll do so much good for him.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No. One day cricket is about hitting balls that don't deserve to be hit.
Your missing my point.

Your not going to hit a ball if it isn't there to hit or is too good a ball that you just have to defend. Each ball is different so you have to play accordingly, you decide whether or not what you are going to do, good ball or not.

Must I make myself clearer?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
mavric41 said:
Just call me Nostradamas!!!

Great innings today. Hitting that 6 off his 3rd ball (?) got him started and today he didn't look back. Batting with his great mate Hayden also helped him. The last couple of days should have bought him a few more tests and a trip to South Africa.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Your missing my point.

Your not going to hit a ball if it isn't there to hit or is too good a ball that you just have to defend. Each ball is different so you have to play accordingly, you decide whether or not what you are going to do, good ball or not.

Must I make myself clearer?
You said that playing each ball on its merit is the same in any form of the game. That's not true. In ODI cricket you are going to attempt to hit a ball that "isn't there or is too good a ball", because you have to. It's due to the limited number of overs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He definitely played well yesterday (I was at the game, and when he came out to bad and when he hit a 6 to get off a pair the roar was huge) and obviously had much more confidence in himself since the occasion required quick runs. I still felt there was a bit of poor captaincy by Smith. I didn't feel he attacked a batsman that was under pressure as much as he could have, but as per usual, once Symonds starts hitting he's very hard to stop.