• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds dies in car accident

Aritro

International Regular

His love of fishing was the stuff of folklore, with Symonds even sent home from an ODI series against Bangladesh in 2008 after missing a team meeting in Darwin so he could hit the water.

Symonds had even been willing to accept a 20 percent pay cut from his Cricket Australia contract if it meant he would be granted more free time to go fishing.

LOL.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Even if he was speeding, he was without passengers on likely a dead quiet country road where you encounter other cars 1000x less often than in a city. Highly likely he was only putting himself in danger rather than others, so I hope there's no witch-hunt
You are correct about this.

I always tell my friends to be careful with their driving, and not to get carried away when there aren't any vehicles around. Driving is always more risky outside cities, you never know when you'd randomly encounter an animal/anything unexpected on the road and might just end up losing control of the vehicle while trying to avoid it. Would say the same to fellow CWers too, always stay alert while driving and don't get carried away.

It's really sad what has happened to Symonds, still can't believe it.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain

His love of fishing was the stuff of folklore, with Symonds even sent home from an ODI series against Bangladesh in 2008 after missing a team meeting in Darwin so he could hit the water.

Symonds had even been willing to accept a 20 percent pay cut from his Cricket Australia contract if it meant he would be granted more free time to go fishing.
THIS IS HOW EVERYONE SHOULD BE.

But being transparent and knowing exactly what you want are things that are hated by most institutes. I remember how some of these things were blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People making suppositions about the bloke's driving like he was an L plater ffs. The bloke was in his mid-40s and drove on country roads all the time. It takes literally less than a half-a-second's inattentiveness to cause a serious accident. It can be anything from checking your phone, over correcting, fmd maybe one of his dogs distracted him. Who knows? It's crass AF to be guessing about this ****. Wait and see what comes of it all before jumping to these conclusions ffs.

No matter the cause, it's a tragedy. Some of the posts in this thread have been flat out appalling.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
No matter the cause, it's a tragedy. Some of the posts in this thread have been flat out appalling.
In full agreement with that point.

Roy was a proper box office cricketer and a true hero to many. His style of play was inspirational and he will be much missed.

Thoughts are with family and friends at this time.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Could also have been tiredness. I sometimes feel the car veering towards the side of the road at night when a bit tired, and Aussies often drive huge distances (bcos it is such a huge country).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Great character and cricketer. My earliest memory of him was Ray Illingworth throwing a paddy when he turned down an England A tour to Pakistan because he wasn't yet totally decided about his allegiance. He might have been slightly influenced by the fact that when Illingworth read out the names of the intended tour party he gave him the name "Simmons".

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
People making suppositions about the bloke's driving like he was an L plater ffs. The bloke was in his mid-40s and drove on country roads all the time. It takes literally less than a half-a-second's inattentiveness to cause a serious accident. It can be anything from checking your phone, over correcting, fmd maybe one of his dogs distracted him. Who knows? It's crass AF to be guessing about this ****. Wait and see what comes of it all before jumping to these conclusions ffs.

I haven't fully followed this thread but from what I've seen, people(me included) aren't really blaming his driving.

There are plenty of incidents where an animal shows up out of nowhere on some country road and the driver tries to make a slight adjustments and it ends up in a complete disaster. Most of these are freak accidents and no one is at fault. The message is just to stay alert at all times and that city roads are a lot more predictable than quite country roads.

In case you were pointing at my post, I would just like to clarify that I don't blame Symonds at all nor do I question his driving skills.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Who really cares? You’ve never heard of ice or oil on a road? Or maybe he fell asleep? Or swerved to miss an animal. Or swerved to miss a kid who ran on the road? But in the end, what does it matter? It’s a strange thing to wonder, almost like you’re hoping he was alcohol affected for some reason.
Not hoping for anything but more information kiddo. Anyway, not the place to discusst his. Happy for you to message me if you are so concerned.

TheJediBrah

Great character and cricketer. My earliest memory of him was Ray Illingworth throwing a paddy when he turned down an England A tour to Pakistan because he wasn't yet totally decided about his allegiance. He might have been slightly influenced by the fact that when Illingworth read out the names of the intended tour party he gave him the name "Simmons".
Oh yes he was

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, I watched 2 interviews tonight with him where he said in no uncertain terms he was never going to play for England, he never wanted to.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What I said is my first real memory of him is precisely what happened at the time. As an unproven youngster he would presumably have been advised not to tell England to **** off in case he wasn’t good enough for Australia. Whether he would have played for England in those circumstances we’ll never know, but keeping his options open by being diplomatic was the wise thing to do even if he was fibbing. :tooth:

slippy888

International Captain
Still doesn't explain a car rolling off.

Happens if you're going too fast, or adverse weather conditions or the driver is impaired. Could be a combination of all three.

Either way, his wasnt normal

You

Are we allowed to talk about what happened yet? How does a car roll off a road?
who the **** would voluntarily ever message you maybe except for catfishes on dating sites

This man needs a time out surely look at his behavior

Burgey

I haven't fully followed this thread but from what I've seen, people(me included) aren't really blaming his driving.

There are plenty of incidents where an animal shows up out of nowhere on some country road and the driver tries to make a slight adjustments and it ends up in a complete disaster. Most of these are freak accidents and no one is at fault. The message is just to stay alert at all times and that city roads are a lot more predictable than quite country roads.

In case you were pointing at my post, I would just like to clarify that I don't blame Symonds at all nor do I question his driving skills.
Nah I wasn't referring to your post, was some earlier ones suggesting he was pissed (without any evidence) and slippy's suggesting his death had been faked (one of the worst posts in CW history).

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend