• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

andrew flintoff was a bit **** really

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
on herath i never realised how underwhelming his away stats were.

swann got 7 more test wickets away from home in 11 fewer tests.

5 more 5fers and 1 more 10fer.

to be fair to herath he bowled without a pace attack for large chunks of his career post vaas.
Herath is possibly the most overrated player on this site

Don't get me wrong, he was great at bowling on dustbowls, but he's even more useless away from his favoured conditions than Jimmy Anderson

Apologies to his roundness for the blasphemy

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Some really interesting discussions here.

re the Laker/Underwood/Swann topic, there is no doubt the first two were more able to take advantage of spin-friendly pitches while I believe Swann's ability to resort to flight and guile on flat tracks made him valuable in all conditions.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Swann was a mediocre County spinner made into a Test bowler by DRS. Underwood would have another 150 wickets in the Swann era.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
what does that even mean? he was getting dodgy decisions by umpires at county level and finally got correct ones at test level?

TheJediBrah

Swann mastered DRS so well that even his wickets that were clearly not out on DRS weren't overturned

edit: this is a joke about Khawaja in 2013

TheJediBrah

I look fondly back at Swann purely for being one of the only non-chucking finger spinners of his time

Shady Slim

International Coach

Don't get me wrong, he was great at bowling on dustbowls, but he's even more useless away from his favoured conditions than Jimmy Anderson

as lime said tbf herath away is one of the best examples of (post vaas) a time when a bowler had absolutely zero support from his teammates

i know a truly elite bowler will excel home and away regardless of their supporting cast but nobody’s going to do well in australia when nuwan pradeep is the leader of your pace attack

a massive zebra

International Captain

Interesting that there are so many Sri Lankan batsmen with epic 50-70 averages at home if they were constantly playing on dust bowls.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Interesting that there are so many Sri Lankan batsmen with epic 50-70 averages at home if they were constantly playing on dust bowls.
tbf it’s not exactly a shock that most cricketers excel at their chosen discipline on home soil given those are the conditions they’ve grown up in, that’s hardly a controversial assertion

same reason is applicable to why nathan lyon’s style of bowling off spin trumps murali’s in australia eleven times out of ten but murali’s trumps lyon’s in the subcontinent eleven times from ten tbh

Shady Slim

International Coach
terrible thread this
thinking about how people who only come here to visit CC and have not been here for long will see this and think “who tf is this clown” and they don’t even know what they’re missing out on either. truly no way to browse the forum tbhwy

a massive zebra

International Captain
Some really interesting discussions here.

re the Laker/Underwood/Swann topic, there is no doubt the first two were more able to take advantage of spin-friendly pitches while I believe Swann's ability to resort to flight and guile on flat tracks made him valuable in all conditions.
Obviously Laker was more deadly than Swann on spin friendly pitches, but I would say he was also a better example of a beautiful flighter of the ball with plenty of variation who could succeed under all conditions. Laker succeeded everywhere and against everyone, including an average of 21 in Australia, which is amongst the best ever for a finger spinner and miles better than Swann who was really exposed in this finger spinners graveyard.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Uncovered wickets is nothing to do with anything. It didn't rain every time Underwood came onto bowl, nor did he play more than a handful of Tests after uncovered wickets were stopped in England in the late 70's. In his day batsman could play spinners with their pads as long as they got a stride in they wouldn't be given out LBW. In Swann's day LBW was never taken out the equation and batsman were forced to play more with the bat thus taking greater risks. Swann was a decent bowler (my original comment is known as using exaggeration to make a point) but he wouldn't have been anywhere as effective pre DRS.

trundler

Well between pitches being covered and DRS there have been 0 notable finger spinners outside of Asia. I think it is at least partly justifiable to attribute this to the covering it pitches. Oh and Laker struggled against the best batting order of his time, WI, too. Not Warne and India level bad but it's there. That said no spinner has a hole-less record. All I'm saying is Swann is in the conversation. I'll admit that Underwood, Laker and Verity don't appear the sort to desert their team mid-series though.

Swann stands at out as decent in a dry era. Laker is outstanding in a richer era.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
thinking about how people who only come here to visit CC and have not been here for long will see this and think “who tf is this clown” and they don’t even know what they’re missing out on either. truly no way to browse the forum tbhwy
Yeah this is even worse than my "Michael Clarke is not very good" thread.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Uncovered wickets is nothing to do with anything. It didn't rain every time Underwood came onto bowl, nor did he play more than a handful of Tests after uncovered wickets were stopped in England in the late 70's. In his day batsman could play spinners with their pads as long as they got a stride in they wouldn't be given out LBW. In Swann's day LBW was never taken out the equation and batsman were forced to play more with the bat thus taking greater risks. Swann was a decent bowler (my original comment is known as using exaggeration to make a point) but he wouldn't have been anywhere as effective pre DRS.
I hear your point loud and clear, but I think that downplays how good Swann was. He became a guy who yeah,got a lot of lbws because he had a slider that could find the outside edge of a RH or hit the pads of a LHers, plus he ripped his offie too - so he became a double threat, especially mentally. DRS only gave him just desserts based on his skill.