• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alphabetic draft

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the classic draft winding up I'd like to start a new draft to sink hours of my time into.

Rules:

You must pick your players in alphabetic order (according to cricinfo's player lists).

You may not pick any two players who have the same relevant initial (e.g. you can't pick Sobers and Smith).

For the first round, player picks are in alphabetic order based on your forum handle.

Player picks are in alphabetic order, based on the last pick made by each player. The player whose turn it is is called the "current player". The "current player" is reevaluated every time the current player makes a pick. For example, if I pick Border and HonestBharani picked Marshall and we're the only two players, I could pick Compton, Headley, Dean Jones and then Murali before HonestBharani got another pick because the last player that I've picked is the player who is the lowest in alphabetic order until I got Murali. Then HonestBharani would be the current player because Marshall earlier in alphabetic order than Muralitharan.

If a player misses a pick, they are flagged as inactive, and cannot become the current player. They become active again when they make up for their missed pick. This means that the next time the current player makes a pick, they will likely become the new current player.

If a player picks Bradman, they automatically pick Mahmadullah as their next pick.

You have 6h between picks.

Who is in?

Last edited:

stephen

Sounds complicated and I'll **** up but I'm in
Yeah a bit hazy on the rules here but hope to pick it up as we go on. In.
The two important rules are that you must puck players in alphabetic order and that who picks next is based on the last person that each person picks. E.g.

HonestBharani -> picks Allan Border
Trundler -> picks Ken Barrington
Stephen -> picks Les Ames

The next person to pick is Stephen, since he picked Ames, who is alphabetically earlier than Barrington or Border.

Stephen picks Bradman. He Automatically picks Mahmadullah.

Next up is trundler (his last pick was Barrington, which is before Border alphabetically). Trundler picks Dead Jones.

Next up is hb (Border is before Marshall). He picks Compton. Compton is before Jones alphabetically so hb goes again. He picks Headley. Headley is before Jones alphabetically. Hb picks Murali.

It's now trundler's turn (Jones is before Mahmadullah and Murali). He picks Andre Nel.

It's now Stephen's turn. He times out.

It's now hb's turn.

Does that help?

Players are all "active" unless they miss a pick. Players who time out are "inactive". The next time they make a pick they become active. The next time an active player makes a pick, we work out who is up next. Inactive players are never up next.

I'll be policing it and making sure that players can always make a valid pick (if someone tries to pick Weekes first round they can't because they couldn't make a valid team).

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The two important rules are that you must puck players in alphabetic order and that who picks next is based on the last person that each person picks. E.g.

HonestBharani -> picks Allan Border
Trundler -> picks Ken Barrington
Stephen -> picks Les Ames

The next person to pick is Stephen, since he picked Ames, who is alphabetically earlier than Barrington or Border.

Stephen picks Bradman. He Automatically picks Mahmadullah.

Next up is trundler (his last pick was Barrington, which is before Border alphabetically). Trundler picks Marshall.

Next up is hb (Border is before Marshall). He picks Compton. Compton is before Marshall alphabetically so hb goes again. He picks Headley. Headley is before Marshall alphabetically. Hb picks Murali.

It's now trundler's turn (Marshall is before Mahmadullah and Murali. He picks Andre Nel.

It's now Stephen's turn. He times out.

It's now hb's turn.

Does that help?

Players are all "active" unless they miss a pick. Players who time out are "inactive". The next time they make a pick they become active. The next time an active player makes a pick, we work out who is up next. Inactive players are never up next.

I'll be policing it and making sure that players can always make a valid pick (if someone tries to pick Weekes first round they can't because they couldn't make a valid team).
Better. Not fully clear yet, esp. the active player rule, but like I said, hope to pick it up as we go on.

stephen

Better. Not fully clear yet, esp. the active player rule, but like I said, hope to pick it up as we go on.
Every player is active unless they time out. When an active player makes a selection, the next player is chosen out of the active players (which could be the current player). If a player has timed out, they're inactive. The moment a player makes a suggestion, they're active again.

Teuton has picked Marshall, HB has picked Compton, Stephen has picked Border.

Stephen is the current player because Border is the next in alphabetical order. Stephen times out.

It's HB's turn. HB picks Jack Gregory. Because Stephen is inactive, HB is the next pick. HB picks Andre Nel.

Teuton is the current player because Stephen is inactive and he has the lowest player in alphabetical order (other than Stephen). Stephen wakes up and picks Fingleton. Stephen is now active. It is still Teuton's pick because he is current. Then Teuton picks Oram.

Stephen is next up because of the active players he has the one lowest in alphabetical order.

Does that help?

It's mostly a way of ensuring the game moves along when people are AFK for a long time. In reality I don't see it being too complicated. It's basically like someone timing out in a regular draft, except because there's no fixed order in this draft (after the first round), the next player is always evaluated when someone makes a pick and ignores players who missed their last pick.

stephen

I just realised I messed up my own example because Mahmadullah is alphabetically before Marshall. D'oh.

stephen

Ok I think I've fixed all the examples now.

I made that way more confusing than needed, sorry about that. Let me know of something else is wrong (other than my comprehension of alphabetical order).