• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-Time World Twenty20 XI

Howe_zat

Audio File
It depends which way you look at it. Being successful as a hired goon for cashed up franchises has always been as big a part of top-level T20 cricket as being successful internationally has been, if not more. It's not quite like picking a modern Test XI where the focus is almost completely on Tests.
You're not getting my point. He's not even been that great at domestic level. Good, fine, but among the world's best?

He occupies the same spaces the like of Darren Maddy did when T20 first popped up. There's just more cash and TV involved now.

weeman27bob

International Regular
You're not getting my point. He's not even been that great at domestic level. Good, fine, but among the world's best?

He occupies the same spaces the like of Darren Maddy did when T20 first popped up. There's just more cash and TV involved now.
Irrespective of whether he's a good player or not, he must be doing something right because everyone wants a piece of him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Oh, I wouldn't pick him either; I just don't think failing at international level is quite the point. The IPL is probably still the pinnacle of T20 cricket - even if other competitions are of a higher standard as such, that's the competition the players and fans care about most in the format IMO, and he's been pretty good there. Probably not good enough to include in a World XI but it's not a disgraceful pick AFAIC.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
How Vettori is not in the majority of the sides with an average of 16.57 and RPO of 5.37 with the ball is completely baffling.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The T20I side I assembled was based largely on T20I caps, and when I looked up most capped T20I players, I found our much-loved LRPL Taylor among them. He has a fantastic T20 strike rate, lots of big scores and big hits, but in the NZ uniform, his strike rate drops under 120. Would you consider him in your World T20I XI?

Moreover, we find that South Africans, Pakistanis, Kiwis and English play a lot more T20Is than the rest- notably Indians and Caribbeans. Some Indian players, for instance, have a phenomenal T20I record, but haven't even crossed thirty T20I caps. Would you expect these players to get levelled once they come so far? Yuvraj and Raina, for instance? Not Gayle, he'd level everything else!

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Chris Gayle
Brendan McCullum (wk)
Kevin Pietersen
Yuvraj Singh
Rohit Sharma
Albie Morkel
Shahid Afridi
Daniel Vettori
Umar Gul
Lasith Malinga