• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Sri Lanka XI game

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Same as everyone for me.

And yes Samaraweera has a surprisingly good record (from an outsider pov). Was he a quiet achiever or where his runs not as impactful as others from that era?
Or just Lankans don't get the exposure they deserve (outside the top 3 players)
I think a lot of it has to do with a lot of his runs pre-2011 coming on roads. Did have a great series in South Africa though.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Same as everyone for me.

And yes Samaraweera has a surprisingly good record (from an outsider pov). Was he a quiet achiever or where his runs not as impactful as others from that era?
Or just Lankans don't get the exposure they deserve (outside the top 3 players)
Samaraweeera was a pleasure to watch and more like the wall in the team batting at 5.Samaraweera's average was hovering in 52ish, he had a lean patch towards the last bit of his career.He did score big runs when needed.

Personally I rate him above Mathews.

P.S- I have watched the entire career of Mathews.Samaraweeea started as an offie, who can bat a bit.I think his batting average never dropped below 40s.Samaraweera is not your fancy, aggressive batsman, but the ideal old school test bat with loads of patience, and must say very competent with his feet against the spin.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Samaraweera's hundreds

8 in Sri Lanka
3 in Pakistan
2 in South Africa
1 in West Indies

Very unusual for a SL bat.
SL bats like Mahela have failed in SA.
But Samaraweera the opposite.I thought there was this peak in his career where he was equally good in both home and overseas.

vcs

Yeah, Samaraweera was quality. Had a good tour of England also and helped save a match when they had a very good attack around 2011 IIRC. Very underrated player, not too far off someone like Laxman in terms of quality.

Took a bullet in that terrorist attack and came back and batted like a champ.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Herath
Mathews (for the extra seam bowling option, as mentioned by others)

Atapattu

Flametree

International 12th Man
I'm not sure picking Mathews for his bowling against the likes of Bradman and Hammond in other sides first xi's is going to do a whole lot for the side...

Samaraweera had a huge start to his career didn't he, averaging 70-odd for his first dozen tests. That helps the final average (a lot of batsman have a relatively bad start and end and a peak middle). For a while I thought he'd end up being the batsman with a proper number of tests whose 50+ average is the least respected. (I suspect Chanderpaul has that title now. But his average slipped a fair bat at the end of his career.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sri Lanka XI
1 S Jayasuriya
2 T Dilshan
3 K Sangakkara
4 A de Silva
5 M Jayawardene
6 D Chandimal+
7 T Samaraweera
8 C Vaas
9 R Herath