• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time ODI XI

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you believe in ICC rankings(rough idea not exact comparison),then I have attached Kapil vs Flintoff as an ODI bowler . You will see Kapil graph is slightly up.
However I do believe Flintoff can replace Kapil because he was a superior bat .
I don't really believe in ICC rankings ftr.

Flintoff was a better bat but I think he'd probably be a worse #7.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yeah I think this along with the fact that he wasn't that great a bowler in Tests and the fact that his ridiculously awesome economy rate doesn't really stand out as much as it should because of the era he played in also combine to make people under-rate him as an ODI bowler.

He's probably over-rated as an ODI hitter though. He was awful whenever coming in with a few overs to go. Did well if he had time to build an innings, but it seems weird to try to bat him at 5 ahead of such batsmen.
that is because of his test and t20 hitting prowess probably :laugh:

subshakerz

International Coach
Imran who was never ranked in top 3 in ICC ODI ranking is now superior to Kapil who was ranked no.1 as a bowler in 80s . You learn new thing on CW everyday .
This new trend on CW where they point to rankings to ignore the actual difference in records.

subshakerz

International Coach
He's just wrong a lot. I hate a lot of his general theories and outlooks. Like I really really hate them.

But yeah, I like him anyway. Backs up his bad takes, makes you think about exactly why he's wrong, doesn't take all the personal bait. Good poster.
Thanks and I appreciate your style of posting as well.

subshakerz

International Coach
So every opinion you state must be taken as fact even when the numbers clearly point out that the differences aren’t big like Imran vs Kapil as bowlers

but everything else others state like Kapil being a better hitter down the order with the numbers being overwhelmingly in his favour is debatable to you

yeah nah piss off and stop being a wanker
Wow so triggered when I just repeat back what you say yourself.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
It can be argued that Kapil was better ODI bowler than Imran. In my spreadsheet (which is the gold standard :cool:), Kapil is #20 and Imran #21 in the all time list. Without longevity points, Imran will be farther behind. Kapil was more economical over his entire career, and without checking he must have bowled more overs per match.
Imran's last three years when he was a part-time bowler and fulltime bat screws up the equation and makes Kapil and Imran as bowlers closer than it seems.

Days of Grace

International Captain
ST Jayasuriya
SR Tendulkar
IVA Richards
V Kohli *
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni +
N. Kapil Dev / L Klusener (can't decide)
Wasim Akram
J Garner
M Muralitharan
GD McGrath

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This new trend on CW where they point to rankings to ignore the actual difference in records.
Next minute:

Peak ICC bowling ratings
Kapil : 845
Imran :780

Imran isn’t as good as you think in ODI.
lol.

I actually think Imran and Kapil were similar standard with the ball. Ankit's list is the best thing we've got IMO and it agrees. Imran was a better bat but Kapil more suited to 7.

Pollock and Flintoff > both.

subshakerz

International Coach
Peak ICC bowling ratings
Kapil : 845
Imran :780

Imran isn’t as good as you think in ODI.
You are a smart poster so you should know the flaws in this argument.

Isn't ranking relative to your opposition and competitors at a time? Also the other quality of peers? And doesn't how long you remain at a level matter also? And how are these rankings calculated? I prefer to look at actual record.

Posters only seem to resort to rankings when they can't justify their argument by having a better record, similar to what Migara was doing before to prove Saqlain is inferior to Murali. It's a bad argument.

subshakerz

International Coach
I actually think Imran and Kapil were similar standard with the ball. Ankit's list is the best thing we've got IMO and it agrees. Imran was a better bat but Kapil more suited to 7.

Pollock and Flintoff > both.
Nice summary but Flintoff was a dud in WCs while Imran and Kapil were WC champs.

Pollock is a maybe.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I use ICC ratings for rough idea.
For eg. Akram wasn’t as good as McGrath as Test bowler despite similar averages and this is reflected in ICC ratings.
However ICC ratings doesn’t take into account home/away split and quality of opposition batting or bowling . So , you can’t use ICC ratings only for coming to a conclusion.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wtf is it with people posting the dumb ICC rankings/ratings in every comparison thread these days as though it's some credible evidence of a player's quality? You dont even really know what formula they use ffs. Use publicly available info like PEWS or DoG rankings instead, atleast they're clear on how they've calculated things.