• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time Australia XIs - A re-run

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Dear all,
I am planning to do a re-run of the exercise that Nufan ran in 2018 in the below thread and subsequent threads for other countries. If this is done with interest, I will do the same for the other countries too.

For reference, below are the 15 teams done from the earlier exercise. We have had quite a few quality players from the WTC winning side who could go up a bit. Let us see if the 15 teams remain the same or change now.

Australia XI:Australia A XIAustralia B XIAustralia C XIAustralia D XIAustralia E XI
1. VT Trumper1. AR Morris1. WM Lawry1. WM Woodfull1. DA Warner1. MA Taylor *
2. ML Hayden2. RB Simpson2. WH Ponsford2. JL Langer2. SG Barnes2. W Bardsley
3. DG Bradman *3. RT Ponting3. C Hill3. CG Macartney3. IM Chappell *3. DC Boon
4. GS Chappell4. RN Harvey4. SJ McCabe4. AL Hassett4. DR Martyn4. NCL O'Neill
5. AR Border5. SPD Smith5. MJ Clarke *5. MEK Hussey5. ME Waugh5. DM Jones
6. KR Miller6. SR Waugh *6. KD Walters6. MA Noble6. WW Armstrong6. J Ryder
7. AC Gilchrist +7. IA Healy +7. RW Marsh +7. RB Benaud *7. JM Gregory7. G Giffen
8. RR Lindwall8. AK Davidson8. MG Johnson8. WAS Oldfield +8. D Tallon +8. JM Blackham +
9. SK Warne9. JN Gillespie9. CBT Turner9. RJ Harris9. H Trumble9. MG Hughes
10. DK Lillee10. WJ Reilly10. CV Grimmett10. GD McKenzie10. CJ McDermott10. SCG MacGill
11. GD McGrath11. FR Spofforth11. JR Thomson11. WA Johnston11. TM Alderman11. BA Reid
Australia F XIAustralia G XIAustralia H XIAustralia I XIAustralia J XIAustralia K XI
1. MJ Slater1. WA Brown1. KR Stackpole1. RA Duff1. J Darling *1. RB McCosker
2. A Jackson2. HL Collins *2. CC McDonald2. JHW Fingleton2. CLJ Rogers2. GR Marsh
3. IR Redpath3. GN Yallop3. BC Booth *3. KC Wessels3. GS Blewett3. FA Iredale
4. RM Cowper4. KJ Hughes4. PJP Burge4. UT Khawaja4. R Edwards4. PS McDonnell *
5. DS Lehmann *5. SM Katich5. VS Ransford5. AG Kippax5. AC Voges5. SG Law
6. SR Watson6. WL Murdoch6. C Kelleway6. CL McCool6. A Symonds6. KD Mackay
7. BJ Haddin +7. GJ Gilmour7. H Carter +7. PR Reiffel7. RG Archer7. WB Phillips +
8. B Lee8. MA Starc8. DW Fleming8. JJ Kelly +8. GRA Langley +8. A Cotter
9. JR Hazlewood9. ATW Grout +9. WJ Whitty9. MHN Walker9. SR Clark9. PM Siddle
10. NM Lyon10. EA McDonald10. AA Mailey10. GF Lawson *10. AN Connolly10. AA Mallett
11. JJ Ferris11. H Ironmonger11. RM Hogg11. GE Palmer11. JV Saunders11. ERH Toshack
Australia L XIAustralia M XIAustralia N XIAustralia O XI
1. PA Jaques1. GM Wood1. MTG Elliott1. AMJ Hilditch
2. C Bannerman2. PJ Hughes2. BM Laird2. AC Bannerman
3. SE Marsh3. AP Sheahan3. JW Burke3. ML Love
4. BJ Hodge4. GM Ritchie4. MJ North4. P Toohey
5. DW Hookes *5. SE Gregory *5. JM Taylor5. GJ Cosier
6. GRJ Matthews6. MG Bevan6. SJE Loxton6. TM Moody
7. HV Horden7. TD Paine +7. LV Maddocks +7. PM Nevill +
8. JL Pattinson8. NJN Hawke8. PJ Cummins8. B Yardley
9. BN Jarman +9. AG Hurst9. IWG Johnson *9. MS Kasprowicz
10. G Dymock10. CG Rackemann10. BW Hilfenhaus10. CR Miller
11. LS Pascoe11. JB Iverson11. E Jones11. WM Clark

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I will follow Nufan's model as it was done earlier. So, 24 hours as the voting period. If there is a tie, my vote will be the decider (if i haven't voted already).

Ok so for Australian Test Cricket..
1. Select who think have been the two best ever opening batsman
2. Select your first drop/number 3
3. Name your two opening quicks.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Khawaja has pretty much the same sample size opening as Simpson did at this point and has a superior record. He's probably done it in a dodgier era. It's not like Simpson has any longevity points over Khawaja either. Plus Simpson switched between middle order and opening throughout his career so it's not as if his non opening numbers only represent a small period as a noob which brings down his overall numbers. Yet CW rates him exclusively on his opening numbers, thereby ignoring his rough periods. Yeah, I know the WSC run brings down his numbers somewhat but I don't count it at all. Hayden and Khawaja are yucky, flawed modern players but Simpson did nothing to be considered an elite opener above guys like that, given his career came in a pretty soft era and only opened in 70 innings. That's not a lot even considering fewer tests were played back then though Khawaja's time has probably seen tests become about as frequent as the 60s with COVID and 3 formats.

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
Khawaja has pretty much the same sample size opening as Simpson did at this point and has a superior record. He's probably done it in a dodgier era. It's not like Simpson has any longevity points over Khawaja either. Plus Simpson switched between middle order and opening throughout his career so it's not as if his non opening numbers only represent a small period as a noob which brings down his overall numbers. Yet CW rates him exclusively on his opening numbers, thereby ignoring his rough periods. Yeah, I know the WSC run brings down his numbers somewhat but I don't count it at all. Hayden and Khawaja are yucky, flawed modern players but Simpson did nothing to be considered an elite opener above guys like that, given his career came in a pretty soft era and only opened in 70 innings. That's not a lot even considering fewer tests were played back then though Khawaja's time has probably seen tests become about as frequent as the 60s with COVID and 3 formats.
Both below another batsman frequenting between Opening and middle order; Victor Trumper. Kinda sad that he will probably miss out of the first team thanks to excessive revisionism.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden is the best Australian opener of all time and that's the ugly truth. Yes, much maligned FTB bible thumping blabbermouth bogan Matty Hayden is better than all the less accomplished blokes from the past even though everyone remembers Ambrose putting him on a leash and tazing his nuts.

Arthur Morris had an even more concentrated peak which came in an even higher scoring era (the late 40s) and had Dean Elgar returns when English cricket recovered from the War.

Simpson and Lawry: see previous post.

Ponsford: played all of 7 years on decks flatter than drop in pitches and then retired because cricket was becoming too mean.

Trumper: was a much a better middle order batsman and his best work came in tour matches/FC games, not tests.

There's no escaping facts and logic unfortunately.