• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Lives Matter - Boeta Dippenaar

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So, Lungi Ngidi has recently called for the Proteas to express support for BLM and then Boeta Dippenaar, together with several other former Proteas responded saying All Lives Matter.

Now there seems to be a growing split between white and non-white Proteas on the issue with lots of Black and coloured cricketers backing up Ngidi.

https://www.news24.com/sport/Cricke...-black-lives-matter-all-lives-matter-20200710

Not surprising to see Pat Symcox heavily involved here. And BD doesn't help his cause with his reference to Marxist individuals trying to undermine the foundations of society.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Looked into this and it appears that with the exception of 2-3 people named in the OP, pretty much every other SA cricketer who has made a public statement on BLM supported it.

Not sure if intentional but bit of a misrepresentation in the OP imo.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Looked into this and it appears that with the exception of 2-3 people named in the OP, pretty much every other SA cricketer who has made a public statement on BLM supported it.

Not sure if intentional but bit of a misrepresentation in the OP imo.
Hadn't seen the follow up comments by the likes of Du Plessis and Smith at the time.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting Boeta has a point regarding farm attacks I think.
You can definitely see their point of view. Must be a bitter pill to swallow for a white South African whose grown up with quotas and redistribution of wealth and resources to the black community to be told that they should be supporting a cause that's based on the idea that the "system" is against black people.

It's obviously more complex than that and when it comes to wealth and opportunity white South Africans, on average, have an enormous advantage from birth, but it can be hard to see that from inside the system

edit: . . . I'm assuming. Never even been to the continent myself and don't really plan to. Just speculating from what I've read here and there.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can definitely see their point of view. Must be a bitter pill to swallow for a white South African whose grown up with quotas and redistribution of wealth and resources to the black community to be told that they should be supporting a cause that's based on the idea that the "system" is against black people.

It's obviously more complex than that and when it comes to wealth and opportunity white South Africans, on average, have an enormous advantage from birth, but it can be hard to see that from inside the system

edit: . . . I'm assuming. Never even been to the continent myself and don't really plan to. Just speculating from what I've read here and there.
Some white South Africans. There's growing populations of white South Africans in townships living in poverty. The ridiculous unemployment rate and subsequent lack of a social net has fostered enormous inequality over there. Or at least, so the many South African migrants I've met both personally and professionally have told me. I think I've probably worked with more South Africans than people of any other nationality (excluding Australians).

Heboric

International Debutant
Without sounding to crass, that Firdose Moonda must be having a whale of a time churning out her crappy articles. I am sure she does a fist salute everytime she publishes an article

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I imagine it's not as bitter as the 400 plus years worth of pills black South Africans have had to swallow, the effects of which continue to place them at a substantial and real economic disadvantage, as you say.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Really? It (Africa) is a huge and varied place and the sunsets are spectacular. You seriously don't even want to at least go to Egypt or try to see the big 5 on safari? I'd go back to Africa tomorrow if I could.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I can understand not wanting to visit South Africa. My dad refuses to visit out of principal. But its a massive continent...

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course all lives matter but, after centuries of abuse, slavery, colonisation etc, I can fully understand the BLM stance.

As an aside, but related to the South African aspect, our daughter-in-law of a couple of years came from South Africa. Her family fled Zimbabwe and the Mugabe regime for the 'safety' of South Africa. She since moved to Australia but, until the pandemic hit, used to regularly visit S.A. with he new husband. Both comment on it being a land of contrasts.