• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Swann

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swann didn't bowl great but he wasn't horrible. I watched pretty much every ball of this series and yea he could do better but he handled it OK. I mean Ajmal and co. bowled extremely well, but they were massively helped by the ridiculous batting by England, which made the bowlers look like Underwood on a sticky wicket rather than merely 'very good'.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And [my last spam] to continue on that note, it's ****ing hard as hell to bowl as a spinner when your batting lineup gives you nothing to defend. Almost felt sorry for the English bowlers. It was like people feeling sorry for Dravid during England (like...just a LITTLE help here boys...).

Xuhaib

International Coach
And [my last spam] to continue on that note, it's ****ing hard as hell to bowl as a spinner when your batting lineup gives you nothing to defend. Almost felt sorry for the English bowlers. It was like people feeling sorry for Dravid during England (like...just a LITTLE help here boys...).
now you know how the Pakistani bowlers must have felt for the better part of last decade atleast England did not have a buffoon keeper who would drop 50 catches a game.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pretty sure bumped some posts laughing at suggestions that Pak could trouble England before the series and also someone else did a post saying Morgan and Bell were pretty good players of spin etc..

Probably there wouldn't be as many contenders because the build up was smaller, but there should still be sufficient amount if you take in related threads. Would rather have the Pakistani fans do it, if they want though. :p
not really. The level of buffoonery on display was much much less than the Eng-Ind encounter. I did post a few of those in the series thread

one of those posts

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2778011-post5474.html

now you know how the Pakistani bowlers must have felt for the better part of last decade atleast England did not have a buffoon keeper who would drop 50 catches a game.
yeah. The general level of fielding was pathetic for the pak bowlers

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
It was pretty average on both sides tbh. England dropped quite a few as well. Mind you, nothing quite as dismal as the two yesterday.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Now that the tour is over, I think this is how they compared with each other

Tests, Ajmal did far better than Swann and was one of the main reasons of Pakistan winning the series comprehensively.

In ODIs, Ajmal again outperformed Swann, but here more damage was done by the English fast bowlers so Swann didnt have as many opportunities. He could still have done better than the average of 48.

In T20s, Swann was the better bowler. Though Ajmal did give crucial breakthroughs here, he wasnt able to trouble Pietersen as much as he would have liked to. Swann bowled brilliantly both to pick wickets as well as build pressure and was one of the key reasons England won 2 out of their 3 matches.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
so conclusion is that Ajmal > Swann.

Who cares about T20 on CW? (Except if it is a revenge T20 series :ph34r:)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
so conclusion is that Ajmal > Swann
No; the conclusion is that Ajmal performed better than Swann on England's tour of the UAE. Why anyone thought one series was going to be definitive, especially when there was a significant gap between them in terms of results before the series started, is beyond me.

smash84

The Tiger King
No; the conclusion is that Ajmal performed better than Swann on England's tour of the UAE. Why anyone thought one series was going to be definitive, especially when there was a significant gap between them in terms of results before the series started, is beyond me.
hmmm......true

ganeshran

International Debutant
Its more of a continuing comparison rather than a definitive conclusion derived from one result. However, the fact that they both are playing in the same conditions makes comparison easier.

IMO Ajmal has his nose ahead in both ODIs and Tests at this moment. Swann has two other big series coming up in Lanka and India. Would be very interesting to see how he performs there

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Its more of a continuing comparison rather than a definitive conclusion derived from one result. However, the fact that they both are playing in the same conditions makes comparison easier.
I completely disagree as they aren't bowling to the same batsmen, nor does outbowling someone in one set of conditions mean you'll outbowl them in another set.

I don't have any problem with you thinking Ajmal is better than Swann at moment; the problem I have is with you over-prioritising one series just because they both happened to be playing in it.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I completely disagree as they aren't bowling to the same batsmen, nor does outbowling someone in one set of conditions mean you'll outbowl them in another set.

I don't have any problem with you thinking Ajmal is better than Swann at moment; the problem I have is with you over-prioritising one series just because they both happened to be playing in it.
Not really over prioritizing this one series. Just consider it a more valid comparison when they are bowing together than when they are in different series in different conditions. Atleast thats my opinion.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator

That's not the point though - the fact they're playing in the same conditions makes direct comparisons much easier, as you don't have to compensate for all the **** you have to when you try and compare series that happen six months apart on different continents

edit: **** me i can't spell today.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
That's not the point though - the fact they're playing in the same conditions makes direct comparisons much easier, as you don't have to compensate for all the **** you have to when you try and compare series that happen six months apart on different continents

edit: **** me i can't spell today.
Might as well have been on different continents the way England batted.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Swann would've done as well as Ajmal and co against the English batsmen tbh. Ajmal is way better than Swann. Swann's obviously #2 atm. Anyone who takes Swann over Ajmal if we were to play a match tomorrow is English or GingerFurball

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think Swann would've done as well against the English batsmen in the UAE because his style of bowling is not tailored to those conditions as much as Ajmal's is.

I definitely know which one I'd pick in Australia, England, NZ or SA. And that's basically half the world's Test playing nations. Take Ajmal in the other half.

It's not definitive either way.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Swann would've done as well as Ajmal and co against the English batsmen tbh. Ajmal is way better than Swann. Swann's obviously #2 atm. Anyone who takes Swann over Ajmal if we were to play a match tomorrow is English or GingerFurball
Haha, dude, you're chatting ****.