• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

After the Don, who is Australia's best cricketer...

who is the best cricketer to pull on the baggy green outside the Don..

• Allan Border

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Greg Chappell

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Alan Davidson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Clarrie Grimmett

• Matt Hayden

• Dennis Lillee

• Ray Lindwall

• Glenn McGrath

• Keith Miller

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Bill O'Reilly

• Ricky Ponting

• Doug Walters

• Shane Warne

• Steve Waugh

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • other - please state

• Total voters

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
I think Ponting deserves a mention on that list he is allready 5th on the alltime International Hundreds list with 31 thats only 7 Behind Mark Waugh on 38 who Is Second to Tendulkar who is on some crazy figure

In 4-5 years time there will be Tendulkar, Ponting then daylight as far 100's go.
can't say i disagree there:D

Bazza

International 12th Man
That's because so much ODI cricket is played. ODIs weren't around when half these players played. Having 14 ODI hundreds doesn't make Ponting better than Ponsford for example.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr. Ponting said:
you and i never saw ponsford play.
That's not his point. He's saying that you can't use that stat of All-time international hundreds in the context of the argument.

Mr Mxyzptlk

That still isn't an accurate comparison. The fact is that you can't compare batsmen or bowlers of different eras. The conditions were different, the opposition and even the rules were different. In the modern game, almost everything is very much batsman oriented.

BTW averages are stats.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
I think Ponting deserves a mention on that list he is allready 5th on the alltime International Hundreds list with 31 thats only 7 Behind Mark Waugh on 38 who Is Second to Tendulkar who is on some crazy figure

In 4-5 years time there will be Tendulkar, Ponting then daylight as far 100's go.
Lara is also on 38 hundreds, joint second with M. Waugh. If he(Lara) plays for the next 3-4 years atleast and in the form he is in now, Ponting might have a tough time catching up with him. Tendulkar at 65 hundreds is probably way beyond anyones' reach.

Mr Mxyzptlk

anilramavarma said:
Lara is also on 38 hundreds, joint second with M. Waugh. If he(Lara) plays for the next 3-4 years atleast and in the form he is in now, Ponting might have a tough time catching up with him. Tendulkar at 65 hundreds is probably way beyond anyones' reach.
I considered mentioning this possibility, but I gather that a few people don't rate the world-record holder.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That still isn't an accurate comparison. The fact is that you can't compare batsmen or bowlers of different eras. The conditions were different, the opposition and even the rules were different. In the modern game, almost everything is very much batsman oriented.

BTW averages are stats.
i know averages are stats. if by your thinking, all conditions are different, which they probably are, we cannot compare any batsman. each match is different, so nobody can be compared.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I considered mentioning this possibility, but I gather that a few people don't rate the world-record holder.
Well....no matter what people think, Lara is already a bonafide all-time great, while Ponting, although well on his way, hasn't actually reached there yet.

Mr Mxyzptlk

i know averages are stats. if by your thinking, all conditions are different, which they probably are, we cannot compare any batsman. each match is different, so nobody can be compared.
That's true to an extent. However most of the seasoned players (Lara, Tendulkar, Waugh, Stewart) would have played under similar conditions at points in their careers. The test of a batsman is how he copes with these conditions in scoring runs or unluckily being dismissed.

The conditions I was referring to, however were those such as exposed pitches, under-prepared pitches and the rules or lack thereof which tended to favour bowlers. For instance, we now have strict bouncer rules. I am not saying that Ponting would not have scored the runs he has if he played in an earlier era, neither am I implying that Ponting is not a great player, but I am saying that something such as this just cannot be compared accurately.

Only God knows...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
And that speaks volumes about the volume of International Cricket played now.

A better way to look at it would be percentage of innings to have scored a century in.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
If this is aimed at me, I've never said I don't rate him, just pointed out that his runs against SL should've been taken in context of the pile of rubbish that is the SL bowling attack.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
If this is aimed at me, I've never said I don't rate him, just pointed out that his runs against SL should've been taken in context of the pile of rubbish that is the SL bowling attack.
SL have two World Class bowlers. That's as many as South Africa have and more than England have. That's as many as India have and more than Pakistan have. It's arguably as many as New Zealand have too (despite Vettori's inability to take wickets at times).

So what you're trying to say is that the only runs that Lara scores that actually count are against Australia?

Bazza

International 12th Man
I seem to remember him doing alirght against them once or twice. Or three times. Or four times.

Anyway, I also think you're under-rating most of those bowling attacks. SL do have one of the worst.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:

A better way to look at it would be percentage of innings to have scored a century in.
Well ether way Ponting is doing very well he avrages a test 100 every 6.3 innings and there are only 3-4 Australian's better than that ever and One of them Is Bradman.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Bazza said:
I seem to remember him doing alirght against them once or twice. Or three times. Or four times.

Anyway, I also think you're under-rating most of those bowling attacks. SL do have one of the worst.
But you can't deny that Murali and Vaas are world-class bowlers (please don't start the whole chucking convo. again). That's more than England and West Indies have...