• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi vs Pollard vs Y.Pathan

Howe_zat

Audio File
think Ajaml and Swann are ahead then there are bunch of bowlers who could make a case for 3rd.Ofcourse all this is my own opinion have not done any number crunching.
Number crucnching doesn't help much in ODIs.

According to the ICC rankings, it goes: Vettori (1), Price (2), Ajmal (3), Swann (4), Mendis (9), Razzak (11), Afridi (14), Shakib (16).

I'd have Afridi in the top 5 (removing Mendis, Razzak and Shakib from the above), with there not being much to split them.

Last edited:

angad

U19 12th Man
Shahid Afridi:
ODI Matches: 325, Batting Average: 23.49, Wickets: 315, Bowling Average: 34.22

Irfan Pathan:
ODI Matches: 107, Batting Average: 22.80, Wickets: 152, Bowling Average: 29.91

Both the players have won Man of the Match in T20 final for their respective country.

Out of 325 matches Afridi has played, 50+ are against weaker sides (BAN, CAN, HK, KEN, NED, SCO, ZIM), Whereas Irfan was not so lucky, only 10 matches he played against above mentioned teams.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shahid Afridi:
ODI Matches: 325, Batting Average: 23.49, Wickets: 315, Bowling Average: 34.22

Irfan Pathan:
ODI Matches: 107, Batting Average: 22.80, Wickets: 152, Bowling Average: 29.91

Both the players have won Man of the Match in T20 final for their respective country.
OP meant Yusuf Pathan.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Afridi's quite good, Yusuf never gets adequate chances (particularly with the ball), while Pollard isn't rated too highly. You can lump in Luke Wright and possibly the new James Franklin. All of them are good players when used well, but except Afridi, they're not.

Similar players who have done well over time for their teams are Shane Watson, Albie Morkel and Chris Gayle.

Last edited:

vcs

He's only ever been just a slogger.
He scored a century in that famous Chennai '99 Test. I think he is more talented as a batsman than Yusuf Pathan, but has the mindset of a 5-year old when he goes out to bat.

Howe_zat

Audio File
He scored a century in that famous Chennai '99 Test. I think he is more talented as a batsman than Yusuf Pathan, but has the mindset of a 5-year old when he goes out to bat.
I haven't seen that innings so I can't comment, but it seems to have been a long time since he played a shot that wasn't just a smack.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, so long as you can bowl. Mitchell Johnson and Harbhjan Singh come to mind, it's getting increasingly popular to swat and flail your way to three figures.

aaryanth

Cricket Spectator
Scoring a century...& that too against the DEADLY Indian bowlers of the 90s...WOW,thats amazing... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

flibbertyjibber

I haven't seen that innings so I can't comment, but it seems to have been a long time since he played a shot that wasn't just a smack.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, so long as you can bowl. Mitchell Johnson and Harbhjan Singh come to mind, it's getting increasingly popular to swat and flail your way to three figures.
Jerome Taylor.:laugh:

jeevan

International 12th Man
I wonder if Irfan Pathan is, in fact, a better overall batsman than Yusuf Pathan in terms of skill. Certainly at the international level considering a big chunk of competent pace bowling that batsmen have to face. (The closest one got to doing a side-by-side comparison is when India won a T20I against SL on the back of a partnership between these two - they rotated brilliantly, Irfan took the strike against pace and Yusuf murdered spinners).

But when the conditions and bowlers are to his strengths (covers a lot of domestic cricket in India) - Yusuf is a master of the situation fairly consistently, even more than Yuvraj. So when he cashes in, he cashes in and even a couple of overs to his liking are plenty to change the game either 20 or 50 overs. Plus, he is cool under pressure. In that sense he is not over-rated. But only sides with a strong top 6 and a couple of tail enders who can bat - can afford the luxury of having him.

Xuhaib

International Coach
That 37 ball 100 is the worst thing that could happen to Afridi.Had he started as what he was suppose to always be a Leggie who could bat a bit I believe he was talented enough to have a Daniel vettori type test career but as VCS says he has a mentality of a 5 yr old.