• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

African FC/Test draft

ataraxia

International Coach
1 Eric Rowan /
2 Billy Zulch /
3 Hashim Amla /
4 Faf du Plessis /
5 Roy McLean /
6 Dave Nourse / o
7 Lee Irvine + /
8 Stephen Jefferies o /
9 Buster Nupen o
10 Hugh Tayfield o
11 Neil Adcock o

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
  1. Barry Richards
  2. Frank Roro
  3. Graeme Hick
  4. David Houghton (c)
  5. Hancie Cronje
  6. B J Watling (wk)
  7. Brian McMillan
  8. Colin de Grandhomme
  9. Heath Streak
  10. Denys Hobson
  11. Kagiso Rabada

My top 3 consists of arguably the World Cricket's biggest "What if? ", Barry Richards, who according to many is a Top 10 batsman of all time, as well as the best from SA. Then, there is an even bigger " What if? " , arguably the greatest cricketer to never play FC cricket and someone who dominated his contemporaries in ways that would make Don and Grace blush, "The Dusty Don" Frank Roro, who was also a very capable leg spinner. At no 3, I have a batsman who I would had been so much happier had he stayed a "What if? ", once termed the " Next Bradman " due to his County prowess, I do think he is probably the hardest fail of a great FC record in the international. Nevertheless, with more than 50 Tests, and overall a very capable batter with an ATG FC record, Graeme Hick. At no 4, I have a pivot in David Houghton, the 2nd best Zimbabwean batsman as far as I'm concerned, and a great captain to boot. At 5, there is Hancie Cronje, a disgraced individual; but someone who atleast tries to turn around the leaf. Oh, and as a cricketerer, with 99 caps under belt, he was a very good middle order batsman, a handy bowler and a genius captain. At 6, I have arguably the best wicketkeeper batsman since Gilchrist in Watling. At 7, I have a close to 40 averaging batsman, who was an equally good pacer who's no.s don't totally reflect his effectiveness, whom I consider one of most underrated South African cricketer, Brian McMillan. At 8, another proper all rounder who averaged close to 40 with the bat and under 35 with ball, capable of big hits, Colin de Grandhomme. At 9, Zimbabwe's 2nd best cricketer, who carried their bowling attack on his shoulders and makes my Top 60 pacers, and was a dependable batsman to top it off, Heath Streak. At 10, one of the 2 undisputed best SA spinners to never play Test cricket, with very high reputation, great FC record and being signed to play WSC to boot, who also was a useful tailender, Denys Hobson. And too round off the team, a fiery pacer, who makes my list of Top 30 bowlers of all time, in Kagiso Rabada. With Barry, McMillan, Houghton and Hick in the cordon, Roro at short leg and in cordon for Hick when needed and Cronje at mid wicket, Streak and de Grandhomme in the outfield, the fielding is also outstanding. I am very happy with this team.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Final XI

01. Allan Melville (c)
02. Bruce Mitchell (6)
03. Neil Rosendorf
04. Kevin Pietersen
05. AB De Villiers
06. Heinrich Klaasen (wk)
07. Kevin Curran (4)
08. Michael Neser (2)
09. Marco Jansen (3)
10. Phil Edmonds (5)
11. Peter Heine (1)

Very happy with this side - deep (Edmonds at 10 scored 3 1st class 100s) and exciting batting (excitement machines in the middle order) along with a varied pace attack with pace, aggression, swing, seam, height, and left-arm variety and one of the better spinners of his era. There are still heaps of good Plunket Shield players I was planning on picking, but I didn't need to.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I'll finish off with someone who was really unlucky not to play Test cricket..

Andrew Puttick

1.Graeme Smith (C)
2.Jacques Rudolph
3.Andrew Puttick (WK)
4.Ashwell Prince
5.David Bedingham
6.Sikandar Raza
7.Glenn Phillips
8.Vince Van Der Bijl
9.Bert Vogler
10.Anrich Nortje
11.Vincent Barnes

*ATG captain in Smith , world class Leg-spinner in Vogler , 3 right arm seamers who are all completely different..the terrifying Vince Van Der Bijl extracting pace and bounce from his giant 6'7 frame, skiddy and slingy Vincent Barnes and the express pace of Anrich Nortje complimented by the useful all action off spin of Phillips & Raza ..

Batsmen from 1-5 all prolific at domestic level while 6&7 score tough runs for their international teams so happy with my selection.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jimmy Cook
Grant Flower
Murray Goodwin
Dudley Nourse *
Colin Bland
Denis Lindsay +
Guy Whitall
Peter Pollock
Eddo Brandes
Morne Morkel
John Traicos

Happy with the batting, feel the bowling could be better.

kingkallis

International Coach
CricZo Africa XI

Kepler Wessels / ©
FC Matches: 316, Runs: 24,738, Average: 50.58, 50/100: 132/66, HS: 254; Catches: 268

Eddie Barlow / o
FC Matches: 283, Runs: 18,212, Average: 39.16, 50/100: 82/43, HS: 217; Catches: 335; Wickets: 571, Bowling Average: 24.14, 5w/10w: 16/2

Martin van Jaarsveld /
FC Matches: 262, Runs: 18,090, Average: 44.55, 50/100: 92/52, HS: 262*; Catches: 400

Russie van der Dussen /
FC Matches: 138, Runs: 8,546, Average: 41.08, 50/100: 47/17, HS: 175; Catches: 93

Dale Benkenstein /
FC Matches: 264, Runs: 15,962, Average: 44.21, 50/100: 86/38, HS: 259; Catches: 169

Ryan ten Doeschate / o
FC Matches: 203, Runs: 11,298, Average: 44.30, 50/100: 53/29, HS: 259*; Catches: 127; Wickets: 214, Bowling Average: 33.84, 5w/10w: 7/0

Ray Jennings + /
FC Matches: 159, Catches: 567, Stumpigs: 54; Runs: 4,160, Average: 23.90, 50/100: 15/3, HS: 168

Simon Harmer o /
FC Matches: 205, Wickets: 902, Bowling Average: 25.97, 5w/10w: 57/14, Strike Rate: 54.04;; Runs: 5,927, Average: 24.49, 50/100: 31/2, HS: 102*; Catches: 208

Dale Steyn o
FC Matches: 141, Wickets: 618, Bowling Average: 23.57, 5w/10w: 35/7, Strike Rate: 43.9

Nantie Hayward o
FC Matches: 135, Wickets: 445, Bowling Average: 28.89, 5w/10w: 9/2, Strike Rate: 53.5

Brett Schultz o
FC Matches: 60, Wickets: 233, Bowling Average: 24.40, 5w/10w: 12/2, Strike Rate: 51.70

---

Total FC Experience: 2,166
Total FC Runs by Top 6: 100,099
Average of Batting Avg. of Top 6: 43.98
FC Wickets Taken by Bowlers & ARs: 2,983
FC Catches & Stumpings by Fielders: 2,248

---

Highlights:

- Led by a proven leader & a task master Kepler Wessels, supported by an able deputy Dale Benkenstein who was considered as the successor of Cronje
- Top class lefty-rightie opening combination of Wessels & Barlow who are known names with experience of around 600 first class games
- Very experienced middle order of van Jaarsveld, van der Dussen, Benkenstein, tan Doeschate who have played under tough conditions and scored heavily
- Ray Jet Jennings is probably the best ever South African wicket-keeper to not have played at test level. He was considered the best wicket keeper of his times as well.
- Tall, mean & successful Simon Harmer to do the duty of wicket-taking spinner and lower order bat
- Many teams will fear the fast bowling trip of Steyn, Schultz & Hayward. The pace and variety these 3 offers is immense.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I'm honestly surprised by 3 players who survived till the last round: Jimmy Blackenberg, Andrew Hudson and Denys Hobson.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Nick Compton

Jackie McGlew
Neil McKenzie
Nick Compton
Craig Ervine
Marnus Labuschagne (6)
Clive Rice (4)
Quinton de Kock (wk)
Shaun Pollock (1)
Jimmy Sinclair (3)