• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abdul Qadir vs. Saqlain Mushtaq

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Truekiwijoker said:
But He wasn't the turner of test matches I remember leg-spinner Abul Qadir was. Qadir was easily the best spinner of his era and one of the Pakistani players everyone watched wherever they went.
Those 20 wickets he took versus India in 2 tests with 4 consecutive 5 fors were among the best pieces of bowling I have seen.

I refuse to believe that Saqlain was a poor test bowler despite the stats.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I haven't watched any thing of Qadir but would love to. I have read some of his interviews and the guy still has so much passion for leg spin, I simply love reading on Qadir.

Having watched most of Saqlain in cricket, I am biased towards him...

But I am not in a position to comment who has been the better of the two.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Originally Posted by Pratyush
I refuse to believe that Saqlain was a poor test bowler despite the stats.
Poor stats?. Go check out cricinfo his test record is very similar to Harbhajan and the average only inflated during the last 3-4 tests when he was having multiple problems with his cricket and life on the whole. I can remember atleast 5-6 test matches which Saqlain won for Pakistan.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Qadir at his peak was near to warnie. Ask the poor english and westindian batsman during the 85-88 period.
And IMO Saqlain at his peak was better than Warnie.Dont need ask anyone, saw it myself in 1998-1999.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Xuhaib said:
Poor stats?. Go check out cricinfo his test record is very similar to Harbhajan and the average only inflated during the last 3-4 tests when he was having multiple problems with his cricket and life on the whole. I can remember atleast 5-6 test matches which Saqlain won for Pakistan.
I said despite the stats. Not despite the poor stats. There is a difference. Saqlain's stats do not do him justice IMO and that is the reason I stated what I did. Some people do think Saqlain was a poor player in tests as truewickjoer said when he stated that Saqlain was not a turner of matches. My response was to him.

I don't see why you bring in a Harbhajan Singh comparison. :wacko:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pratyush said:
I said despite the stats. Not despite the poor stats. There is a difference. Saqlain's stats do not do him justice IMO and that is the reason I stated what I did. Some people do think Saqlain was a poor player in tests as truewickjoer said when he stated that Saqlain was not a turner of matches. My response was to him.

I don't see why you bring in a Harbhajan Singh comparison. :wacko:
Well i misunderstood u. I was thinking u mean that Saqlain in your oponion is a good bowler even though his stats are poor. So i was pointing out that his stats are not bad and infact are very close to Harbhajan's

Francis

State Vice-Captain
My spelling problems aside...

And IMO Saqlain at his peak was better than Warnie.Dont need ask anyone, saw it myself in 1998-1999.

In one-dayers, maybe. In tests, Warne from 1993-1997... or maybe from 1994-1997 was the best display of bowling ever and if somebody said it was the best bowling peak ever, I wouldn't blink.

Swervy

International Captain
I am going to go with Qadir at his peak over Saqlain at his peak, but then again, both bowlers were of a completely different style, and so comparisons between the two dont sit well with me

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Qadir by miles than saqlain. i had the privilege to watch both the players at their peak in their 80's and 90's respectively.
Qadir has a funny action though and could turn test matches very quickly in short spells . His famous bunnies are england and windies though.New zealanders also are not far behind.He did not play much county cricket to preserve his masterclass variations in spin from leaking out.All in all a class.
Saqlain..Lot of current guys know about him..so not much comments. But very good though.