• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A sad day for SA cricket

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
No I am not whinning about losing.
Oh yes you are.

Our team threw the game away today and nothing less than that. England were brilliant with bat and ball and fielding but were were miserable with the bat by throwing away our top order wickets.
No they didn't. They lost to a better team on the day. Might even have won it if they would have won the toss.

Like so many I would like to know why is Smith playing that shot? (still)
Because he is an attacking batter and wants to impose himself on the opponent. If it comes off he is a hero, if not, he is a villain. Good to see it comes off more often than not...

Why was he not bringing fielders in and being agressive with a low score to defend?
Given what I read from you, given that he was on the field, knew what he was up against, experienced all the circumstances as well as the opponent and probably knew if or if not the target was good enough, I trust his judgement more than yours.

Why do we have so many fast bowlers that love to bowl the same length?
Maybe because it is a good length to bowl under the circumstances? Maybe pitches are prepared so much in favour of batsmen that only one length might possibly be successful?

Morkell is a pansy(both of them).
Indeed? I thought Albies bowling is starting to improve nicely and Morne was really good on Friday. Morne will change the length for you...isn't that what you just wanted?...

Smith said post match that they were 30 short. So where was Gibbs? He is worth 30 in the field alone.
Nah, not any more. Most teams have fielders of or close to Gibbs qualities and SA has a few. Can't think of a real fielding dut right now.

And a fortune to watch a team that is not the best and is not based on merit.
That is just bollocks. What white player would you include in place of what non-white player? What next? Next you'll tell us Murali is chucking... I reckon SA have the best team or are as close as you can get. Any whinning about quotas will not be an accetable excuse for bad play. They have proofed to all and sundry they can be good.

Out with Boucher ...
So what has he done wrong? The fact that there finally is somebody who might be able to step in some time doesn't mean that the more experienced option has to get the boot.

Smith(not captain)
Botha(as captain with 100% win record vs Aus in Aus)
Now - that is just silly. And what merrit should Botha be in the team - let alone be captain? What has Smith done wrong not to be captain? Put up a different field than you would have put up?....wow...

Morkell(He never deserved to be dropped from ODI squad).
That gels in nicely with:

Morkell is a pansy(both of them).
Did AB prove yet that he is the worlds best no 3?
And that is just prove that you do not appear to have your judgement clouded by the knowledge of the game or ABdV as a batsman. Needless to say he certainly hit that statement around your ears nicely on Friday...

My dear cricket lover (you are, are you?). Also cricket is an emotional game (for me it is and probably most of us here), you shouldn't get to carried away with preconceptions about the game, the team or the political realities it is functioning in. I think SA did well so far. They might not be as good as last year, which was an exceptional year for them, but they are still a good cricket team with loads of potential.
The SA sport public always demand them to be the best if they are not for once, unreasonable demands are made to the team, selectors, the board etc...

To put it in 2 words for you: Get real.

Regards

longtom