• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A purple patch for NZ cricket?

Howsie

International Captain
New Zealand's team in 4-5 years.

1.Martin Guptill
2.BJ Watling
3.Kane Williamson
4.Ross Taylor
5.Jesse Ryder
6.Corey Anderson
7.Brendon McCullum
8.Daniel Vettori
9.Tim Southee
10.Neil Wagner
11.Trent Boult

It sounds like Neil Wagner wants to play for NZ in the future, and can somebody tell me why Corey Anderson doesn't bowl for Canterbury. I remember hearing a few years back as a 16 year old he was bowling at around 135-140 kmph.

There is also the likes of Doug Bracewell, opens for CD in OD cricket and can bowl quite well. He is actually pretty fast. And Harry Boam.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
can somebody tell me why Corey Anderson doesn't bowl for Canterbury. I remember hearing a few years back as a 16 year old he was bowling at around 135-140 kmph.
Clocked at 134 with a tailwind IIRC. But that said, I (out of all people) can tell you that it doesn't really mean anything with regards to real bowling. He doesn't bowl as much anymore because he was pretty injury prone when he did, and he wants to concentrate more on batting which, to be honest, is his far better discipline.

thierry henry

International Coach
Clocked at 134 with a tailwind IIRC. But that said, I (out of all people) can tell you that it doesn't really mean anything with regards to real bowling. He doesn't bowl as much anymore because he was pretty injury prone when he did, and he wants to concentrate more on batting which, to be honest, is his far better discipline.
Surely a bit premature to give up on bowling at his age!?

Howsie

International Captain
Anurag Verma and Andrew Matheison are two players I've played against a few times. I think they are playing NZ Under 19's?. Matheison got pretty quick real fast, Anurag is really accurate, but not that fast. I'll be watching out for them in the future.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
How well does Mathieson go playing for NZ.
Wasn't going to play either Test if not for, let's say, management issues which saw him included for the second Test.

Got pumped to within an inch of his life in the ODIs that he played in.

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
New Zealand cricket needs to start putting some serious money into grass roots cricket. The amout of funding they provide is nothing compared to what grass roots rugby gets, its ridiculous.

Now nothing against my own country and its players, but the young players that have been selected to step up from domestic cricket and play international, are just not handling it. And its usually the batsman that are failing more. The reason this is happening is because all the New Zealand domestic teams have only 1, 2 or at a push 3 international quality bowlers, there's alot of sub quality bowlers in their oppsoing teams.

So when these young players are stepping up to play international, they are like a fish out of water from the word go.

Dont get me wrong, i think there is a huge amount of talent in New Zealand cricket, just look at Southee and Taylor. But we need to sort something out so that these young boys can have that experience of tougher bowling attacks for batters, and more quality batters for the bowlers

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
. The reason this is happening is because all the New Zealand domestic teams have only 1, 2 or at a push 3 international quality bowlers, there's alot of sub quality bowlers in their oppsoing teams.

So when these young players are stepping up to play international, they are like a fish out of water from the word go.

Dont get me wrong, i think there is a huge amount of talent in New Zealand cricket, just look at Southee and Taylor. But we need to sort something out so that these young boys can have that experience of tougher bowling attacks for batters, and more quality batters for the bowlers
Having 1 ,2 or even 3 international quality bowlers in each domestic team would be something. That would give us up to a possible 18 international quality bowlers. That would be something. I dont think we've ever been that strong and I doubt we ever will be.

I guess it all comes back to the argument about the amount of teams we have. NZ just doesnt have the population to sustain 6 quality domestic teams, so we either lower the amount of teams or offer free passports to all and sundry.

I think I would favour 5 teams. Apart from the problem of having one team having a bye each week, I think that would be the right amount to balance quality with opportunity for youngsters. Have 5 teams and then have 5 A teams from each province to play a limited round robin to provide a chance for the young guys or journeymen to crack one of the top teams. Also its a chance to concentrate the money, training facilities, etc,etc. The country divides itself into 5 more easily than it does into 6. Auckland and everything above would be one side, The middle of the north,from Waikato down to Taranaki and Hawkes Bay would be another side, Wellington up to Palmerston North would be the third, along with Canterbury and Otago.

Rugby is our national game and we only have the 5 super 14 sides and only 6 or so top quality provincial teams, so I think we need to concentrate our resources and quality a bit more to provide a higher level of competition.

kuranui

Having 1 ,2 or even 3 international quality bowlers in each domestic team would be something. That would give us up to a possible 18 international quality bowlers. That would be something. I dont think we've ever been that strong and I doubt we ever will be.

I guess it all comes back to the argument about the amount of teams we have. NZ just doesnt have the population to sustain 6 quality domestic teams, so we either lower the amount of teams or offer free passports to all and sundry.

I think I would favour 5 teams. Apart from the problem of having one team having a bye each week, I think that would be the right amount to balance quality with opportunity for youngsters. Have 5 teams and then have 5 A teams from each province to play a limited round robin to provide a chance for the young guys or journeymen to crack one of the top teams. Also its a chance to concentrate the money, training facilities, etc,etc. The country divides itself into 5 more easily than it does into 6. Auckland and everything above would be one side, The middle of the north,from Waikato down to Taranaki and Hawkes Bay would be another side, Wellington up to Palmerston North would be the third, along with Canterbury and Otago.

Rugby is our national game and we only have the 5 super 14 sides and only 6 or so top quality provincial teams, so I think we need to concentrate our resources and quality a bit more to provide a higher level of competition.
Thats a good idea for reducing the competition down to 5 teams, although i would keep wellington as its own team, and have CD as it is now

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Thats a good idea for reducing the competition down to 5 teams, although i would keep wellington as its own team, and have CD as it is now
So it's a good idea for reducing it, but you wouldn't change a thing? Unless you're suggesting ND and Auckland (ND areas being the fastest-growing population bases in the country and Auckland the biggest city in NZ) merge?

kuranui

So it's a good idea for reducing it, but you wouldn't change a thing? Unless you're suggesting ND and Auckland (ND areas being the fastest-growing population bases in the country and Auckland the biggest city in NZ) merge?
Yes, i would have them merge, like Matt suggested. What suggestions do you have for improving cricket in New Zealand then?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, i would have them merge, like Matt suggested. What suggestions do you have for improving cricket in New Zealand then?
Matt suggested Auckland and above would become one side - which is fine. But then you go on to say you'd leave CD and Wellington as they are. Does that mean Waikato, BOP and Gisborne become a no-man's land of domestic cricket? Thus robbing us of the chances of future Daniel Vettoris, Daniel Flynns, Scott Styrises, Hart brothers, Kane Williamsons - you get my drift.

My suggestions are irrelevant, as NZ Cricket have their own plans - but, the problems I see time and time again are a) a lack of quality playing time pre-Christmas and b) a poorly-set domestic schedule, which sees test-only players going back to play ODIs when often they're trying to get back into form for future tests.

Personally, I'd get as many of our guys playing early or pre-season cricket in the warmer climes of Aussie - be that in Sydney grade cricket, even Darwin as McCullum did a couple of seasons back. I know for the Otago guys, they're barely onto grass pitches by the time the first-class season begins - it's a good season in Dunedin when there's a single game on grass before the end of October. I really don't think our domestic game is all that terrible in terms of bowling - we're strictly hamstrung by our player base and I think the associations themselves have been reasonably proactive in getting overseas players in. That won't be so much of an option over the coming 24 months thanks to the economic situation, but I guess all I'd ask is perhaps more bowlers rather than batsmen - who tend to be the ones bringing in spectators during the summer one-day matches.

kuranui

Matt suggested Auckland and above would become one side - which is fine. But then you go on to say you'd leave CD and Wellington as they are. Does that mean Waikato, BOP and Gisborne become a no-man's land of domestic cricket? Thus robbing us of the chances of future Daniel Vettoris, Daniel Flynns, Scott Styrises, Hart brothers, Kane Williamsons - you get my drift.

My suggestions are irrelevant, as NZ Cricket have their own plans - but, the problems I see time and time again are a) a lack of quality playing time pre-Christmas and b) a poorly-set domestic schedule, which sees test-only players going back to play ODIs when often they're trying to get back into form for future tests.

Personally, I'd get as many of our guys playing early or pre-season cricket in the warmer climes of Aussie - be that in Sydney grade cricket, even Darwin as McCullum did a couple of seasons back. I know for the Otago guys, they're barely onto grass pitches by the time the first-class season begins - it's a good season in Dunedin when there's a single game on grass before the end of October. I really don't think our domestic game is all that terrible in terms of bowling - we're strictly hamstrung by our player base and I think the associations themselves have been reasonably proactive in getting overseas players in. That won't be so much of an option over the coming 24 months thanks to the economic situation, but I guess all I'd ask is perhaps more bowlers rather than batsmen - who tend to be the ones bringing in spectators during the summer one-day matches.
Mate, Gisborne already comes under CD. Im not sure about the other two regions you mentioned, but i dont know what other district they would come under, so they must alread be in CD

Having players go over to Australia would be good in the short term, but we could end up losing them all together in the long run to them.

Howsie

International Captain
Mate, Gisborne already comes under CD. Im not sure about the other two regions you mentioned, but i dont know what other district they would come under, so they must alread be in CD

Having players go over to Australia would be good in the short term, but we could end up losing them all together in the long run to them.
Gisbourne is ND

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain

Northern Districts is Northland, Counties, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Gisborne/East coast, and the King country down to Taupo.

Central Districts is Taranaki, hawkes Bay, Manuwatu, all the way down to Wellington, then the Nelson, Marlborough region.

Just draw a line across the country at about Taupo and thats the border between ND and CD at the moment.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I agree with this 110%. I tend to think as well and find it odd that we don't make more use of a NZ A type of team touring around the world, but especially touring Australia. I know we have one currently, but it isn't used enough IMO. It's a great way to get our next tier of players experiencing overseas pitches and environments, and gives the current crop of domestic players something to aim for before they make the Black Caps.