• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Player Career Mode *WOULD BE AWESOME!* Tell us what you think...

the_axe

Cricket Spectator
I have thought up and idea that would be easy for the developers to implement and would make for awesome gameplay. Tell us what you think.

1) You play as an individual cricketer starting out playing for state or county.
You play games per innings, for example, you might start off playing a game for NSW against QLD. You come in to bat when the score might be 4/222 and then you play until you get out. You can either choose to watch the game or skip till when you are needed. You may also bowl when the captain puts you on for a few overs. The game could be all over in about 5-10mins if you choose and all your statistics are saved through-out your career.

2) The better you perform in the game, the more points you might be able to add to different player skills such as "Timing", "Power", and whatever. You might have it so you could allocate skills to certain shots like a "Cover Drive".

3) When you build up your skill and start performing in matches, you can gain selection into your international team to tour the world. You maybe selected as a batsmen or bowler depending on your skills. You may also get promoted to captain where you make fielding arrangements as well and help in team selection.

4) You can go in and out of form and can also get injured.

There are many other features that you could think of, but this is a start. I reacon it would be a brilliant feature to add into a cricket game such as Brian Lara cricket and it would be easy to implement. One thing that can get annoying playing cricket games is the length of a game - i'm sick of just playing 10 over games. This feature would mean you could get through games more quickly and it gives a more personal touch the game.

Axe

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Sounds like a great idea. But I wouldn't care if you could just have a team that you develop and take up the international ratings, instead of the one person.

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
Buddhmaster said:
Sounds like a great idea. But I wouldn't care if you could just have a team that you develop and take up the international ratings, instead of the one person.
Well obviously you could! thats the whole point of the game! if they implemetented the player career than obviously they would implement team career :blink:

When i saw the title of this thread, i thought to myself EXACTLY what you posted here. Yeah it would be a good idea. THe main problem with Cricket 2004 is that bowling in tests is sooo boring. For bowling, you really need near perfect realism to last a whole Test!!

I think you would need to start in the Grade competitions and undergo your own training regimes, with certainly no guarantee that you could make it to state level, let alone international level.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yep totally agree, i always wanted this kinda things in games like Football and also for cricket, but i think its a bit late tho....as i guess the game isnt really far from ending..so to add a whole new player career mode would be hard but yes im a fan of this idea

Retox

State Vice-Captain
I agree but as long as you could not give your player a max of 100 points in everything and be the "perfect player" Cause that would annoy me

djwolf

Cricket Spectator
A 'player' career would be good as long as you were just classed as a manager who could change teams. It wouldn't be realistic having yourself as a player in the game alongside the professional players.

The bowling in C2004 isn't as bad as previous games, I reckon I could just about bowl for a full test match. Most of the time I do use a bit of the autoplay though.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Quality idea, i don't think it would be implimented, but it is a good idea.. Would be good to transfer to a more lowly place if you are doing badly, or vice versa..

Pepper

Cricket Spectator
Pretty good idea mate but i'd prefer it to be a 'Team Career' then a 'Player Career'. It's more fun that way and you get to play more.

v800

Cricket Spectator
Do you know what would be good in the game, A classic matchs mode. Where you have to play at a point like 5/99 trying to get a big score in a classic game.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Pepper said:
Pretty good idea mate but i'd prefer it to be a 'Team Career' then a 'Player Career'. It's more fun that way and you get to play more.
I like the player one so much more.

I mean, why bother play a test match? All you end up doing is slogging, and making ten an over. Not many people can be bothered playing ninety overs.

I'd like it if you had pressure to make a score with one batsmen, otherise you get dropped and possibly not resigned at the end of the year, having to find anoither county.

J.Coney

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i think the idea is a great, blic might not have time to put it into their game but ea cric 2006 might. i have one suggestion i think it's net practise should contribute to your ability. kinda like grand turismo were you had to do all those test to get your license. maybe the game could set up little drills like getting a cover drive between a couple of cones or bowling line and length, nar i'm not sure but the idea's right

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
v800 said:
Do you know what would be good in the game, A classic matchs mode. Where you have to play at a point like 5/99 trying to get a big score in a classic game.
maybe as part of a special player mode you could have "Player Career Mode" and "Player mode--classic match".

i reckon agood idea for the classic match mode would be to have u come out as Michael Bevan in that New years day game in '95/'96 when the Aussies were like 5/20 at one stage, then Bevan makes a ton. You have to try and replicate Bevan's ton and/or win the game. We need bill lawry to commentate tho...he's exciting and i reckon his catchcrys are MADE for a videogame.

imagine it - "GOT HIM! YES - GONE!' ill never get sick of him saying that on TV, likewise with the video game.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
What about being a keeper where yo see through the eyes of the keeper and recive the ball and go for cool stumpings and diving catches

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Monty said:
What about being a keeper where yo see through the eyes of the keeper and recive the ball and go for cool stumpings and diving catches
Ball by ball it's a pretty useless way to play the game.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
yeah i suppose but it would still be a cool feture if you only become the keeper when there is a chance for a stumping or catch

djwolf

Cricket Spectator
I think it would be good to have some control over fielding, such as choosing which end they throw the ball to. BUT the main fielding and wicketkeeping is best done by the computer.

rubbergenius

Codemasters Community Liaison Manager
Just to let you know (if you didn't already) there will be a career mode in the game - you can have up to three careers on the go at once (so the best thing would be for a batter, all-rounder and a bowler as the three careers).