• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A-League Thread

Craig

World Traveller
chaminda_00 said:
Wish List for Aussie to comeback next season:

Mark Viduka
Josip Skoko
Clayton Zane
Paul Agostino
Stephen Laybutt
Paul Okon
Craig Moore
Tony Popovic
Frank Juric
Tony Vidmar
John Alosi
Scott Chipperfield
Mile Sterjovski
Micheal Petkovic
Max Veri

How many if any do you think will comeback?
Has Craig Moore even played for Newcastle yet?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Has Craig Moore even played for Newcastle yet?
I believe he has.

The lack of youth league is crap. Reading about players like Wade Oostendorp not playing any football these season is ridiculous.

Craig

World Traveller
Although a few weeks ago on ESPN in the Nazio v Lecce game that there have rumours of Paolo Di Canio coming to play in the A-League next year as his contract expires soon and it is unlikely that that they will give him a new deal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Although a few weeks ago on ESPN in the Nazio v Lecce game that there have rumours of Paolo Di Canio coming to play in the A-League next year as his contract expires soon and it is unlikely that that they will give him a new deal.
He's obviously seen the reports from Cronulla beach & recognises some kindred spirits, fascist tool that he is.

(with apologies to all the decent folk in Cronulla) :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Looks like that lion of the English central defence, Terry Butcher, may be heading down under to take charge of Sydney. From the beeb's website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/4980434.stm

Possibly a sign that the league is gaining credibility; Butch obviously sees it as potentially a bigger gig than Motherwell.
The funny thing is that some Sydney FC fans want former Australian Coach Frank Farina over him, cus they don't rate him as a manager, but then they rate FF. :wacko:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Didn't Terry Butcher manage a team at the 1994 World Cup? I think Greece?
I don't think so. IIRC he used to manage Cov (badly), so Marc might have some interesting opinions. :p

Craig

World Traveller
Ah ok. I just remember a comment about Diego Maradonna being on drugs before they realised he actually was and his name rang a bell.

Maybe I will check the wikipedia - they know everything I need to know.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
I don't think so. IIRC he used to manage Cov (badly), so Marc might have some interesting opinions. :p
He was indeed - can't remember much to bad about him - at least he never got us relegated!

Cloete

International Captain
A-League Official Website said:
Victory signs Brazilian duo
Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 2:04PM
Sportal

Melbourne Victory coach Ernie Merrick's recent scouting mission to South America seems to have paid dividends with the new signing of two Brazilian strikers for the start of the 2006/07 Hyundai A-League season.

In what is being touted as a major coup for the Victory as well as the Hyundai A-League, 26-year-old Helbert Frederico Carreiro da Silva (Fred) and 24-year-old Claudinho will arrive in Melbourne on Sunday morning on a direct flight from Brazil.

Club Chairman Geoff Lord was understandably pleased with Merrick's work and excited with the acquisition of the pair, predicting them to have an immediate effect on the domestic football scene.

For Merrick "to secure the services of two young Brazilians both at the peak of their game is a terrific result for the club," Lord said.

"It's not just Melbourne Victory who will benefit from these players being here. The entire league and fans all over the country will be better off having these players displaying their skills in the Hyundai A-League."

"I can't wait to see them in action and I look forward to welcoming them to Melbourne," he said.

Both players have competed at the highest level.

Fred spent 10 seasons at leading Brazilian side America MG where he played alongside Arsenal superstar Giberto Silva, scoring 20 goals in 80 appearances.

The 26-year-old was set to sign for either Brazilian giants Cruzeiro or Atletico Mineiro, before Merrick convinced the talented striker to sign for the Victory.

Claudinho played for French club Strasbourg for three years as a junior before moving to Brazilian national first division side Atletico Paranaense in 2001, where he played approximately 100 senior games amassing 30 goals.

Claudinho is a left-footed-striker reportedly valued at over $2 million on the transfer market.

Merrick praised the Victory's foresight and professionalism in securing the players' signatures.

"Taking the time to travel to Brazil has allowed us to learn about their setup and put ourselves in a position where we were able to build solid relationships and sign quality players of outstanding ability."
Fairly major news IMO. Getting 2 guys like that who are regulars in the brazillian top division and are still in the middle of their careers is massive for the A-League. Certainly makes the signing of Reinaldo seem quite crap by the Roar. Hopefully clubs will continue to dabble into the Brazillian, or South American in general, leagues as the players add that touch of flair and creativity that the crowds love to see. Hopefully we can get a couple of Brazillian mids in the future, at the moment there are a few strikers floating around. But I would love to see a mid with great technique and alot of flair and creativity playing for the Roar. Anyway think it'd be excellent news to have some great new faces plying their trade in the league, alot of the good players from last season and some former Socceroos coming back. Certianly looking forward to the season (even if it does start in October)! :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Erm since when has either 80 games in 10 years or 100 in 5 been regulars when Brazilian sides play 50+ games a season?

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Erm since when has either 80 games in 10 years or 100 in 5 been regulars when Brazilian sides play 50+ games a season?
The guy who's played 80 in 10 is 26 so he's been there since he was 16. Also it's only counting the actual championship, not the regional one's. Last 2-4 years he's started playing regularly. He was 3rd choice striker I think. Besides, can't be too bad if Corinthians and Atletico Miniero want him.

Claudinho's only 24 so 100 games in 5 years isn't bad at all.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Since when have regional championships been top flight football?

80 games in 10 years is 8 games a year - not regular.

100 games in 5 years is 20 a year, again not regular.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think those two guys can be classified as regular, if they were they won't be coming here. But it should be interesting to see how they go, they probably can't be worse then Danny Allsopp, so it should be a move in the right direction for Victory.

Craig

World Traveller
This gives us four Brazilians, and a few players from Uruguay. I suppose for the A-League these are big signings, and I guess it will depend on players wanting to play in the Asian Champions League then the European one should their team make it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
This gives us four Brazilians, and a few players from Uruguay. I suppose for the A-League these are big signings, and I guess it will depend on players wanting to play in the Asian Champions League then the European one should their team make it.
Well if they want to play in the ACL, then they went to the wrong club..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I guess it will depend on players wanting to play in the Asian Champions League then the European one should their team make it.
At the level they're at they'd struggle to get a game at a club playing in European football!