• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A history of fast bowling

the big bambino

International Captain
That's true but opinion wavers, whereas it never did with say someone like Gilbert or Read. Maybe he was on the cusp and I'm being unfair rounding him down.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I've always interpreted it that way hb.
Yeah, quite a few seem to, including the ICC game. But I always thought it went like this and I think most broadcasters see it this way too, in terms of average speed off the hand:

140+ kph - Fast
130-140 kph - Fast medium
120-130 kph - Medium Fast
100-120 kph - Medium

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only other really notable fast bowler produced by Australia during the nineteen-thirties was Ernie McCormick, who made his debut against South Africa in 1935 and played played twelve tests over the next few years.
McCormick is the first modern bowler I have seen in one sense, in that his full length run up is by far the longest for the era that I have found, its sixteen to eighteen paces being about the normal length used by fast bowlers today (although the seventies and eighties saw some truly ridiculous peregrinations). His action is rather abrupt, with a very short pre-delivery stride and rather short delivery stride, using mainly leverage from the shoulder. His swung his arm down rather than across, which meant he mainly swung the ball in rather than away.
At his best he was the fastest bowler in Australia with a non-controversial action of the period, but his career was beset by back troubles (the lack of smoothness in his action likely contributing), other injuries and he was prone to being wayward. After taking 15 wickets in a reasonably successful, if unspectacular, debut series his career sputtered along with the temperament of an Italian sports car, never really achieving its potential. The experience at Brisbane in 1936 was a case, where after taking three wickets in a fast opening spell, including Hammond for a golden duck, his back flared up and he only bowled three more overs. In 1938 in England he was severely troubled by his back and had tremendous problems with his rhythm, leading Wisden to describe him as the most overrated bowler ever brought to England. In the first tour match he bowled thirty-five no-balls, nineteen of them in three overs, being forced to trim his run to as few as twelve paces at times. He took his best test figures of 4/101 at Lord's and played his final test the next match, being unfit for the slaughter in the final test.
A jeweller by trade, he designed and made the Frank Worrell Trophy - though supposedly a copy was used for a number of years, the original being lost by the West Indies in the early eighties after being brought over following their victory in 1978 before being found in Wes Hall's mother's garage in the early nineties.

Another at 0:22

Last edited:

Starfighter

In the world there is always people who don't practice what they preach, and you could consider our next bowler an example.
Alf Gover is more well known to the cricketing world as a coach than as a player, though he was one of England's leading fast bowlers before World War II. He was known for technically correct teaching, but his style of bowling was rather far from textbook.
Arms pumping furiously, he dashed along his twelve pace run, his strides becoming ever more rushed and the last couple even a bit shorter as he awkwardly launched himself into the air. The frenetic flailing of limbs that followed, the front arm remaining low and bent in a rather un-classical style, was certainly not attractive, but it was effective enough to impart considerable speed on the ball.
He saw little success in his four tests, but took plenty of wickets on the typically flat pitches at The Oval. Despite taking 171 wickets at 15.4 in 1936 he was not selected to tour Australia, not least because there were already three fast bowlers and the slower Bill Copson had even better figures. With Voce breaking down and Allen not too fit either, one can only speculate if his pace might not have helped stop cricket's greatest series comeback. In a tour of India in 1938 he broke down, missed the 1938 Ashes and was never as sharp again, but continued to play for a couple of years after the war, including a test against India. He founded his coaching school in 1938 and continued to operate it until 1989, by which time a vast array of world class cricketers had come through it looking for guidance.

Last edited:

Starfighter

A few more minor ones, this time from Australia:

Morris Sievers was a fast-medium bowler or allrounder for Victoria (who managed to average 29 with the bat in first class cricket without ever scoring a century). He was selected as an opening bowler in the first three tests of the 1936/37 Ashes and took 5/21 on a wet pitch in the third before being replaced by Ross Gregory.

Sievers appears at 0:19 in this film. The bowler who appears first is Barry Scott, who was a promising fast bowler with a distinctive action before the war but who did not play afterwards.

The two bowlers appearing in close up here for NSW are Lincoln 'Bob' Hynes, a fast-medium left armer, and Leslie O'Brien, a fast bowler so obscure that Cricinfo doesn't know his year of birth or date of death.

The blond fast bowler with the remarkably bent front leg is Harold Cotton, who was twice called for throwing.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
This thread is fantastic - lot's of amazing footage here. Really glad I stumbled across this.

I'm especially astounded by the clip on Ted McDonald. His action is incredibly smooth and flowing for that era, especially when you compare him with Gregory. I think the latter is more brutal and effective though.

What really surprises me is that they both don't have better stats. Perhaps the extra pace made it easier to score runs off them and fielding might not have been as refined back then to stop the runs, particularly behind the wicket.

Starfighter

I am a tad disappointed that there hasn't been a bit more discussion.

What really surprises me is that they both don't have better stats. Perhaps the extra pace made it easier to score runs off them and fielding might not have been as refined back then to stop the runs, particularly behind the wicket.
McDonald completely failed in the 1920/21 series in Australia. Apparently his performance in England came as a bit of a shock. He also didn't do too well in South Africa, which is surprising as he was reputed for moving the older ball off the surface, which would indicate a style suited to matting pitches.

Gregory had very good all round figures until he wrecked one of his knees, after which both his batting and bowling fell away dramatically.

Right now I'm going to do what I should have done originally and post the Ted McDonald clips separately:

Last edited:

stephen

I think there hasn't been more discussion because most of us don't know a great deal about these guys so we're learning rather than debating.

Starfighter

Anyhow, back on track. The next bowler should cause great delight, being the first great bowler from New Zealand, and one who always comes out well in the various statistical analyses some of our members like to carry out.

John 'Jack' Cowie was one of the finest fast-medium bowlers of the era and New Zealand would not find a comparable bowler until Hadlee began his ascent in the mid-seventies. He bowled off a brisk run of thirteen paces, slowing down a touch as he entered into the crease with a slight skip. Clasping both hands together about his head - a little higher pre-war - his landed stiffly on his back leg in the Steffen Jones approved style - his right heel not even touching the ground - while wheeling his arm freely over. His most renowned delivery was a sharp off break that if it didn't lift awkwardly was prone to bowling the batsman, and he could swing the ball away as well.
Debuting against England in 1937 his first wicket was debutant Len Hutton, bowled for a duck, and in just about every match there was a clear gulf between him and the other New Zealand bowlers, including taking six wickets in an innings against a (Bradmanless) Australian and English side in NZ's only home tests of the forties. He was even still effective when touring England at age 37 in 1949 despite suffering from niggling muscle strains. As stated by Wisden "had he been an Australian he might have been termed a wonder of the age".

The 1946 Australia match. I've started the video to show Don Cleverley, another fast medium bowler who played two tests, the first in 1932 against South Africa. He bowled not so cleverly and went wicketless in both. Cowie first appears at 5:06. Also a diving catch by Verdun Scott at 5:31, the first one I have seen with the fielder completely in the air when taking it.

The first footage during the course of the match is at 5:14.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I think there hasn't been more discussion because most of us don't know a great deal about these guys so we're learning rather than debating.
This is a very valid point. Most of our views on these bowlers is based on statistics and anecdotes. It's been wonderful to actually watch clips of them, thanks to Starfighter's splendid efforts.
Perhaps the discussion will come when we move into an era where we might have actually seen fast bowling action - either live or via TV.

Starfighter

Arthur Wellard was a fast-medium bowler who, after debuting in 1927 and struggling a bit with injury early on, was the stalwart of Somerset's bowling throughout the thirties, being only behind Jack White (a spinner) in their wickets column, and one who played on until 1950. However, he only made two test appearances, neither really spectacular, one against New Zealand in 1937 and the other against Australia the next year.
Tall and bounding, he bowls with an action a little reminiscent of Justin Kemp, and his rather remarkable collapse of the front leg perhaps prevented him from quite achieving the pace and bounce that would have made test class. He was also a renowned hitter, scoring more than 500 sixes in his first class career (a record), which accounted for about a quarter of his runs.

Starfighter

Someone has uploaded a much clearer version of the 'Bradman' documentary, which lets us finally get a good look at Laurie Nash (I have seen this clip elsewhere, but it was a bad transfer that went blurry at the crucial moment). Turns out that like a long list of bowlers from back then, he's another slinger. I must say it's a lovely action and I'm a tad surprised he was only about as quick as Wall at his best, and was generally considered slower (I recall one newspaper description of a more disappointing performance saying he bowled no faster than Bert Tobin, the fast-medium South Australia of no great repute, though once selected as test 12th man).

Last edited: