• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cale Hooker ‏ @Hooksy26
Enjoyed the 2 hour flight from Melbourne to Melbourne! #goodtimes #frequentflyers

So i guess our match isn't on tonight. Spare a thought for Brent Stanton who has a fear of flying and probably killed himself during the flight from Melbourne to Melbourne

benchmark00

Can confirm it has been canceled. Several bombers sick on the plane. Was a 12,000 people sell out. Unrucky.

Spikey

will be interesting to see what ramifications we get. we deserve all the bad press we'll receive but I don't really think we can get fined or anything. i mean we presumably notified the afl of our plans and they could have said 'well given the weather conditions we advise you.......and if you don't' and presumably they didn't. and then there's the matter of whether the match would have gone ahead anyway. That said I don't like that it's a draw, we're already out of the comp anyway so I would have been fine with Saints being judged the winners

but yeah we own Wangaratta - and the areas around it - a match or two.

Spikey

(for those wondering why we charted a plane, we're scheduled to play a game in Sydney on the Friday night after this match, so it was related to recovery. we wouldn't've got back to Melbourne til 2am. still we could have driven up and flown down)

Spikey

players would have got about two hours sleep before having to get up for recovery tbf. Def not ideal preparations/situation for what is just a pre-season comp. Essendon should have protested the timing of the Sydney match from the get go though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah they should have whinged about the scheduling, not decided to take a plane.

And yes the AFL are too blame as well.

Wangaratta fans have a right to be fuming.

Good on St Kilda for holding a training session there.

Spikey

Essendon elected to do the right thing by their players and fans. Essendon fans would have been fuming if players suffered injures and the doctors pointed partly to the heavy workload/stress. It's a pre-season comp, designed to get the players conditioning ready. Not to run them into the ground. Not getting back to Melbourne til 2am, so not getting to sleep til 4, and getting up for recovery by 7, and then having modified training sessions and then playing on a Friday is def not an ideal situation and so Essendon tried to ease the stress by trying to get back to Melbourne by midnight. Freak weather has messed it up but I don't see what Essendon did wrong. They're trying to prepare for the season as best they can. Heavy work loads just before the season doesn't fit into it

And I was actually blaming Essendon re the fixture. They should have fought tooth and nail to have the game after the Wangaratta take place on the Sat or Sun. Given there's no Sat night games and one Sunday game next week I see no reason why it couldn't've happened. Presumably, we did not fight tooth and nail and well.

Wangaratta fans might have been screwed by the weather anyway btw...(well, they were screwed by the weather)

Last edited:

Spikey

...well no. it's a training session and not a match. Of course, it'd be a shock if the Saints decided to go full blast if the ground wasn't in good knick, but there's a fairly obvious difference. That's not to say the game would have been cancelled, but you never know what might happen...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fact is Essendon should have flown up yesterday. They raised accommodation issues. Apparently Wangaratta doesn't have hotels. :dry:

Spikey

Yep. I totally agree with that. They have some explaining to do with that. Although - sadly as it turns out - a fair few people would have come in from outside Wangaratta so the hotels could have possibly been booked out. (but they could have stayed in Albury) They could have also - from the get-go - planned to drive up there and fly back. So they stuffed up there. But I see nothing wrong with the basic plan - we want to get back to Melbourne asap because we've got a busy few days.

That said, if we want to think about it a bit deeper from Essendon's POV...since the whole 'knights out hird in' thing there's been a disturbing trend from both Essendon fans and the EFC of, well 'we are Essendon **** the rest' and also "we're essendon people do what we say" and just generally arrogant behaviour. Most of the time it's just annoying but can prevent serious discussion, sometimes it's offensive (See: the give us money because we want it article Evans: Ground condition is distressing | Essendon Football Club | News Story). And it's possibly it's happened here. We wanted to fly back because we wanted to host our recovery session at home. Simply, they didn't believe Wangaratta could provide the facilities needed for Essendon to host their recovery session. Are they right? Who knows. But I believe St Kilda are staying the night. They have faith obviously. It's possibly that this arrogant behaviour has created this silly situation.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's ironic that Essendon have tried to use their muscle yet they got bitch slapped by the Essendon Lawn Bowls Club at Windy Hill :laugh:

Spikey

It's funny you mention that, that's the sort of arrogant behaviour I'm taking about. You know, plenty of Essendon fans were saying "**** the bowls club we're bigger than them it's a ****ing disgrace we're moving from our home just because of 20 old people!". And then they go home and watch the Castle and say "yeah good on you Darryl!" or something.

Personally I love that the Bowls Club stood up for themselves. They needed to stay where they were much than we did, and we're getting a far better facility than what we would have got had we killed the bowls club, and instead of fighting with the cricket club to train there we'll be working with the paralympic athletes. Everyone's won