• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Cross is an interesting one - I suspect he's the type of player that opposition supporters rate higher than his own. He's a hard worker but not the type of player you'd want to base a midfield around. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over him if we lost him, but he's not got much trade value so it wouldn't be worth it.

But it is clearly one of our biggest problems that we don't have a gamebreaking midfielder who can do it consistently. If Cooney was back in his 08 form that'd be great, but as it is now he's clearly struggling and has done a Rhys Palmer in that he's lost the ability to dispose well (though Palmer doesn't get the ball enough these days anyway). Cooney, Griffen and Higgins have the makings of a pretty formidable midfield, but they are so inconsistent and always drift out of games (Griffen especially) that you end up with games like last night where you dominate two quarters and kick about four goals all told.

It's pretty obvious that with the signings of Djekuerra and Sherman they have identified the need for goal kicking midfielders, but we don't have any others in the VFL so the cupboard is pretty bare. That's the Dogs' biggest problem along with the forward line which is totally ****ing one-dimensional and the worst in the league at keeping the ball inside fifty.

Our best chance was probably 2009 and we blew that chance so it's going to be downhill from here.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cross is an interesting one - I suspect he's the type of player that opposition supporters rate higher than his own. He's a hard worker but not the type of player you'd want to base a midfield around. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over him if we lost him, but he's not got much trade value so it wouldn't be worth it.

But it is clearly one of our biggest problems that we don't have a gamebreaking midfielder who can do it consistently. If Cooney was back in his 08 form that'd be great, but as it is now he's clearly struggling and has done a Rhys Palmer in that he's lost the ability to dispose well (though Palmer doesn't get the ball enough these days anyway). Cooney, Griffen and Higgins have the makings of a pretty formidable midfield, but they are so inconsistent and always drift out of games (Griffen especially) that you end up with games like last night where you dominate two quarters and kick about four goals all told.

It's pretty obvious that with the signings of Djekuerra and Sherman they have identified the need for goal kicking midfielders, but we don't have any others in the VFL so the cupboard is pretty bare. That's the Dogs' biggest problem along with the forward line which is totally ****ing one-dimensional and the worst in the league at keeping the ball inside fifty.

Our best chance was probably 2009 and we blew that chance so it's going to be downhill from here.
Wouldn't be surprised to see the coaching staff put more emphasis on Cross to do what Jobe Watson has done and at least attempt to be more damaging with his disposals. Granted Watson was actually a pretty good kicker originally and Cross struggles with that, but it's not difficult to improve that facet of a person's game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Benchy, didn't Watson circa 2006-07 have a reputation as being an ordinary kick? I'm fairly certain of it, particularly when kicking for goal.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Benchy, didn't Watson circa 2006-07 have a reputation as being an ordinary kick? I'm fairly certain of it, particularly when kicking for goal.
Yes he did have that reputation, but it was built more on the fact that he didn't have the confidence to kick.

When questioned about it this year, Hird has said that the coaching staff identified that Watson did in actual fact have a very good kickign technique, he just lacked the confidence to actually attempt it in a game.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Wouldn't be surprised to see the coaching staff put more emphasis on Cross to do what Jobe Watson has done and at least attempt to be more damaging with his disposals. Granted Watson was actually a pretty good kicker originally and Cross struggles with that, but it's not difficult to improve that facet of a person's game.
It's been a problem of his ever since he broke into the senior team. They've either decided that his role in the team is to be the linkman or he's just failed to improve his kicking. It's worse now than it used to be IMO, and he just doesn't kick it unless he has to which is a pretty awful habit.

I know it won't happen, but it'd be pretty awesome if Malthouse saw the romance at the end of the year in doing with Footscray what he couldn't do 20+ years ago...

benchmark00

Yes he did have that reputation, but it was built more on the fact that he didn't have the confidence to kick.

When questioned about it this year, Hird has said that the coaching staff identified that Watson did in actual fact have a very good kickign technique, he just lacked the confidence to actually attempt it in a game.
Jobe Watson, Lance Franklin big movers in SuperCoach power rankings | Herald Sun

"IN THE short space of four weeks, Jobe Watson has turned the perception about his kicking on its head.

Let's face it, we all thought he was only average by foot.

But this season, the Bomber has kicked 50 per cent more than he has handpassed, and been fairly impressive at it.

Under Matty Knights all Watson did was fire out handballs.

But Jimmy Hird had a gut feel his skipper's footskills were all right and video analysis of his technique apparently supported his hunch.

Encouraged to kick more, Watson has become a more well-rounded player this season, catapulting him up the rankings in the SuperCoach Hit List."

ftr

benchmark00

It's been a problem of his ever since he broke into the senior team. They've either decided that his role in the team is to be the linkman or he's just failed to improve his kicking. It's worse now than it used to be IMO, and he just doesn't kick it unless he has to which is a pretty awful habit.

I know it won't happen, but it'd be pretty awesome if Malthouse saw the romance at the end of the year in doing with Footscray what he couldn't do 20+ years ago...
Always had a massive soft spot for Cross, he comes from my home town and is a genuinely good guy. He's worked so hard to turn his limited skill and flare into an effective footballer.

Does need a new direction though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Jobe Watson, Lance Franklin big movers in SuperCoach power rankings | Herald Sun

"IN THE short space of four weeks, Jobe Watson has turned the perception about his kicking on its head.

Let's face it, we all thought he was only average by foot.

But this season, the Bomber has kicked 50 per cent more than he has handpassed, and been fairly impressive at it.

Under Matty Knights all Watson did was fire out handballs.

But Jimmy Hird had a gut feel his skipper's footskills were all right and video analysis of his technique apparently supported his hunch.

Encouraged to kick more, Watson has become a more well-rounded player this season, catapulting him up the rankings in the SuperCoach Hit List."

ftr
Very interesting.

Gotta love Jobe.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Always the possibility of him becoming an out-and-out tagger. One of the better tacklers going around and fit as a fiddle. Added bonus of Picken being allowed to go forward, too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah could easily follow in Ling's footsteps. Ling in the early-to-mid 2000s was a proper in the guts midfielder. As Geelong developed better players for such a role, he adapted into being one of the game's leading taggers. Cross could do that, or something similar to what Kane Cornes does at his peak.

Because in my opinion the Fyfe vs. Cross battle last night went to Fyfe, mainly because he did more damage when he got the ball. Obviously Cross is vital for getting the ball, but as you said, if Cooney isn't gunning it, the value of Cross getting it falls. If he had shut down Fyfe and gotten slightly less of the ball it may have worked in favour of the Dogs.

howardj

International Coach
I can confirm that I'm leading both the NRL and AFL CW tipping comps.

Anyway, against my better instincts, I let AFL into my life in 2008, and am really smitten with it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Had a great time at the ANZAC day game. This AFL lark really is a great game. Essendon were clearly the inferior team, but they stuck right with the Pies until the last 10. Great atmosphere, good times. Even my missus enjoyed it. Same time next year?

Also, note to Waikato Stadium that the MCG sells beer cheaper than you. Plus, the beer at the MCG isn't ******* Waikato Draught. Sort it out.

Spikey

Was always a over-rated factor really. Essentially he hand-balled more than he kicked because once Hird went he was literally the only guy who could get clearances for us, which is slowly changing. This season so far he's had the chance to be the man who gets the hand-ball and kicks it instead of dishing out the hand-ball and WHOMG his kicking is now better!!!!

He was of course prone to the odd shank and if his confidence was down he could be bad like anyone, but really Judd right now is a worse kick than I ever remember Watson being. I'm not saying he's great but really he was no worse than plenty of others like him (eg the judd example)

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
West Coast vs. Melbourne
Sydney vs. Carlton
North Melbourne vs. Port Adelaide
Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions
Adelaide vs. St Kilda
Essendon vs. Gold Coast
Collingwood vs. Western Bulldogs