• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A cheat is a cheat

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I try to sneak in a few feet /metres in rugby yes.
But I've never picked the seam in cricket or seen anyone in my team do it. I didn't know that was common.
The theory behind it is that the ball is more likely to move with a higher/more pronounced seam and stitches

Members of the fielding team would use a finger nail to lift part of the central seam or individual stitches

Nowadays, you have to give the ball to the umpire to get grass/dirt out of those areas as the excuse used to be that you were simply cleaning the ball

Tom Flint

International Regular
The theory behind it is that the ball is more likely to move with a higher/more pronounced seam and stitches

Members of the fielding team would use a finger nail to lift part of the central seam or individual stitches

Nowadays, you have to give the ball to the umpire to get grass/dirt out of those areas as the excuse used to be that you were simply cleaning the ball
Yeah I just don't think it happens in our games. We had to tell the umpire to watch the oppo using saliva a few times last year but picking the seam I don't think so. Unless my team all do it and don't tell me lol

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I just don't think it happens in our games. We had to tell the umpire to watch the oppo using saliva a few times last year but picking the seam I don't think so. Unless my team all do it and don't tell me lol
tbh I find much of the talk about ball tampering incredibly hypocritical

Batters are allowed to use cannons on fields with artificially small boundaries, flat pitches because broadcasters believe that the casual viewer wants to see boundaries and with fielding restrictions

Meanwhile, the fielding team isn’t allowed to throw the ball in on the bounce because that’s against the spirit of the game

Little wonder that most batting lineups fall in a screaming heap whenever there’s any movement