• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Bit of Trivia

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
An interesting cricket question arose in our weekend newspaper.

"Who was the only wicketkeeper, other than Rod Marsh, to take a catch off Dennis Lillee's bowling in a Test match?"

The question had me stumped, but fortunately the quiz provided answers. How do our members fare? I'll post the answer in 48 hours time.

Meanwhile, other pieces of cricketing trivia are more than welcome.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My guess is Wayne Phillips. Though he wasn’t keeping at the time. Was at second or third slip vs Pakistan in 83/ 84 at Sydney in Lillee’s last test. Batsman slashed at a wide one and he dived in front of GC’s face to catch it. I think he was at third. They were moving GC around to try to get him the catch to pass Cowdrey but the ball kept going everywhere else. He eventually got he record though.

that’s my guess as I can’t recall Marsh missing tests a TV all when Lillee played.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I was going to say Steve Rixon as he played pre-wsc while I think John Maclean and Kevin Wright were only keepers when Lillee and Marsh were away at WSC.

Pretty much forgot Woolley played tests.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Except for the nine tests he played afterwards, and he was also vice captain against New Zealand in 1985/86.
Well I did say I was answering from present knowledge (rather than being accurate) lol

Edit: I googled to refresh my memory. Hookes made 143* and then was dropped for the entire summer vs Pak. I couldn't understand back then how someone like Hookes could be dropped after scoring a hundred

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I knew that from watching highlights.

After his 143*, Hookes averaged only 23.93. According to Wikiland he was dropped after a poor 83 World Cup (22.16), but I will say he would have been a little bit unlucky not to have been able to cash in against Pakistan in 83/84.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Question: Which great batsmen batted #7 or lower in their debut test innings?

I know of 4 from previous noticing but thought it was incredible given their overall records.

the big bambino

International Captain
Clem Hill and Charlie Macartney too. Reggie Duff was Trumper's opening partner and he debuted at no. 7. In the 2nd innings he tonned up at No. 10 when the batting order was reversed in response top a bad pitch.