• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6th June - Group A - England v New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it is going to be touch and go. Was 2 reviews as well, and England may be responsible for some of the delay. I can't really remember. It is pretty shoddy to be that far behind though, especially as innings should have ended when England were 6 down.
Wasn't there was a longish physio break for an England batsman at one stage too?

cnerd123

likes this
Umpires keep track of time lost to 'Good Cause' - this means any time the ball gets lost, the batsmen ask for new gloves, a decision gets sent to the third umpires, or any other reason when play is halted for which the bowling side isn't to blame. This time lost is basically time forgiven to the bowling side. For example, if the innings ends 15 minutes later than it should, but the umpires have recorded down 15 minutes lost to 'Good Cause', the bowling side is considered to have finished the innings on time.

Now I can't answer this part for certain, but as far as my umpiring experience has gone, we don't penalise teams for being slow if they happen to bowl the other side out before scheduled close of play. IE, if they're starting the 46th over at the time they should be starting the 50th, but pick up the 10th wicket, and we go off the field for the change of innings at the scheduled time, then there is no punishment. But that's club cricket in HK, I'm pretty sure International cricket will be far stricter.

My guess would be that they'll see how many overs should have been bowled at the time the innings ended, how many were actually bowled, factor in the 'Good Cause' time, and then figure out how far behind the overrate the bowling side is. There would be some protocol in play (probably something in the ICC playing conditions) about how slow the side must be to incur a penalty. Since all slow overrate penalties are outside of the game, this may actually not even be in the playing conditions, but be in some other set of rules/guidelines that the match referee/tournament organiser/whoever decides on these penalties will refer to.

It's an interesting question. I'll ask around and get back to you all if I find an answer. I'm sure some clever googling might be able to provide an answer too.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who advances out of NZ and Australia if they both get 3 washouts. There's no run rate tallied since they aren't completed games. Toss a coin?

cnerd123

likes this
Who advances out of NZ and Australia if they both get 3 washouts. There's no run rate tallied since they aren't completed games. Toss a coin?
Can't get into the semis if you haven't even played a game. That's ludicrous.

The only obvious solution is Bangladesh goes through

:ph34r:

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
Jake Ball must be pretty chuffed that he's managed to squeeze two games out of his inclusion in this squad, bowled pretty atrociously in the last game.

EDIT: oh ffs

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, Test match length so far. Need to break this partnership though because run rate won't be a concern for a while yet.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jenil: "22 runs in 7 overs. Statistician in me says they are scoring at pi runs per over, Mathematician in me refuses." Oh, those internal conflicts ...
From cricinfo live commentary

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Test match length so far. Need to break this partnership though because run rate won't be a concern for a while yet.
And they're looking comfortable now. Ball especially innocuous after his great start.