• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Can I just say how catastrophically stupid it is that both sides get less points in the WTC for this series than NZ and SL did for winning a game each? Joke system.
I'm sure they'll lose sleep about this laying on the piles of money made from the broadcasting rights and gate sales, etc.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really good series overall, that. Tbh, before it started I was expecting another 2015 - i.e a close overall scoreline (couldn't call who'd win though) but with all the matches being between fairly and totally one-sided. Best Ashes since 05 IMO
Yeah every Test had at least close patches unlike 15 where if you got on top you generally stayed on top. Was been a cracking series even if the quality wasn't incredible.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Best summer of cricket in my lifetime. It's pretty bittersweet that it's over, but being able to reflect on it in its entirety is pretty satisfying, despite being unable to regain the Ashes.

Definitely going to miss the anticipation of every new game.
Don't think it's at all hyperbolic or controversial to drop the in my lifetime there. One of the best ever World Cups and one of the best ever Ashes series all in the space of three and a bit months. We'll probably never have it so good ever again.

TheJediBrah

Pretty great effort from Australia to go 2-2 in England, and it took a freak series from Smith to do it.

And they still get less WTC points than Sri Lanka did for drawing with NZ in Sri Lanka and a lot less than India did for beating West Indies 2-0, both of which are far less difficult tasks

Flem274*

123/5
@ the whiners; you only have your own boards and the indian one to blame.

the obvious scoring system is series win is 10 points and series tie is 5 points each. then your boards are free to have endless series with each other while studiously avoiding touring the jammy bangladesh trench warfare pitches where you'd get 0 points and no broadcasting dollars.

TheJediBrah

I'm not too fussed about the unfairness of the points system, just baffled by it. Things will balance out to some extent (not perfectly obviously, because not a full rotation of home/away will happen before the final and not every Test series is the same length).

Australia beating Bangladesh 2-0 in Australia would be worth more than twice as many points as drawing the Ashes 2-2 in England. It's crazy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Apparently it's a catastrophic failure because not all sides had matches of equal difficulty in the first round of fixtures. They need to fix that.
It's not that the series weren't of equal difficulty, it's that some Tests are literally worth five times as much as others.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not too fussed about the unfairness of the points system, just baffled by it. Things will balance out to some extent (not perfectly obviously, because not a full rotation of home/away will happen before the final and not every Test series is the same length).

Australia beating Bangladesh 2-0 in Australia would be worth more than twice as many points as drawing the Ashes 2-2 in England. It's crazy.
Australia should just hurt themselves financially and host all the **** countries in our summer.

Gob

International Coach
Well played England. Ashes retained but definitely underwhelming.

**** Joel Wilson though

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

That's not that crazy. If you treat each series as an isolated 'match' of the WTC, then that's not unusual at all. The same basically applies in all sports tournaments - in the soccer world cup you still get the same number of points for beating Brazil as you do for beating North Korea.

Yeah, I get that treating 2 test series as being equivalent to 5 test series is awkward, but seriously what else are you going to do? No one's ever going to set up 5 test series between WI and Bangladesh, and nobody in Australia or England would ever consent to truncating the Ashes down to 3 matches.

The biggest problem (as you note) - is that each side doesn't play everyone else. Would be much more sensible to do it over a 4 year cycle, with everyone committed to playing everyone home and away, finishing with the top 4 proceeding to a semi-final and final round.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
That's not that crazy. If you treat each series as an isolated 'match' of the WTC, then that's not unusual at all. The same basically applies in all sports tournaments - in the soccer world cup you still get the same number of points for beating Brazil as you do for beating North Korea.

Yeah, I get that treating 2 test series as being equivalent to 5 test series is awkward, but seriously what else are you going to do? No one's ever going to set up 5 test series between WI and Bangladesh, and nobody in Australia or England would ever consent to truncating the Ashes down to 3 matches.

The biggest problem (as you note) - is that each side doesn't play everyone else. Would be much more sensible to do it over a 4 year cycle, with everyone committed to playing everyone home and away, finishing with the top 4 proceeding to a semi-final and final round.
I think regarding the last point ICC is treating the first edition as sort of a trial run and don't want to commit to a longer cycle. I could be wrong but wouldn't be crazy to think they might increase it to a 4 year cycle in the 2nd edition.