• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love this. Every muppet saying he’s mad to bowl first bagged him for batting first under cloud like this within the last month.
Haven't turned it on yet, so have no idea how cloudy it is.

Though I don't think there was too much criticism for him batting first Tests 1 & 4.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Before today only three teams had ever elected to bowl at The Oval in 35 Ashes tests. None won. Chappell's 1972 Australians were the last team to win after being sent in to field.

Burgey

This attack is going to have to basically do the opposite to what it’s done all series if it is to get anything but all there is to offer from this deck. If there’s movement there, they’ll create enough chances.

If there isn’t, fair play they/ he’s misread the deck. But there’s some grass on it and there’s cloud around.

Starfighter

I mean if it works then awesome
It's the old thing which some of us around here stick to more strongly than others. Subsequent success does not justify prior lack of logic. You can win in spite of yourself.

OTOH I don't have to watch another single figures score from Warner, unless England want to get bowled out before lunch.

the big bambino

International Captain
I don't understand why you'd drop Starc for Siddle and play Marsh as well. One or the other fair enough, both is just strange thinking.

Paine electing to bowl do he can bowl Marsh's shoulder off and get him injured out of the summer.
They're basically saying they dont trust Marsh's bowling despite it being the reason they picked him. Make sense?

OverratedSanity

What's with everyone's starc obsession ffs. Not like he picked up 6fer. Siddle did an ok job in the previous tests and he has a good record here. Not a particularly terrible selection at all. You'd think Paine had brought it Salil Ankola for Glenn Mcgrath judging by some of the reactions.

morgieb

What's with everyone's starc obsession ffs. Not like he picked up 6fer. Siddle did an ok job in the previous tests and he has a good record here. Not a particularly terrible selection at all. You'd think Paine had brought it Salil Ankola for Glenn Mcgrath judging by some of the reactions.
Aussie fans on here seem really guilty of under-rating Siddle IMO.

stephen

It's as much about the thinking as anything else. You bring in Marsh to take the burden off your quicks but then replace your wicket taker with a run in all day medium pace bowler. And then you choose to bowl when you don't need to force a result.

It's just plain bizarre.

Jarquis

Phwoar. I thought that was gonna be clipping the top corner and Burns was going to feel very hard done by..