• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 Greatest Test matches of the Decade

C_C

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
What I was trying to say is that the standard was higher in the Ashes test because the teams were better, not that both teams played better cricket. It probably came across the wrong way. As I said, I haven't seen the 99 Chennai test (though I have seen each of the other three in question), so I can't really judge how well the teams played in that game.
And as i said,better teams doesnt make better standard of cricket automatically. Which is why the so-called battle of the titans ( RSA vs OZ) near the turn of the millenia was a damp squib and RSA got rolled over worse than most teams.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Its another case of Wisden putting far too much emphasis on 'winning' when judging an individual.
This article is quite good and points out the innaccuracy of the Wisden 100 list.

shankar

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
I just think it's silly to attack the list as if it's biased or something because X innings didn't make it. You can argue that the formula could have been better or something, but it's not as if Wisden sat down and said "alright, let's make a formula to rate all test innings, and do it in such a way that Tendulkar doesn't make the top 100".
You seem to be thinking that people are "attacking" the list because they think it's deliberately biased or something. They're "attacking" it because if all-time great innings do not even make top 100 then it must have been obvious to Wisden that the mathematics used to model the criterion was very flawed. For example, if I made a list of all-time great batsmen and fixed the minimum criterion as 100 innings and excluded Bradman, then I would, rightly, be castigated for my stupidity.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Need I point to Hayden receiving test batsman of the decade from 96-2006, when a large part of the criteria involved test wins?
1 out of 10 criteria is hardly a large part, and the actual criteria relating to Test wins was average in wins.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
OZ whitewashed Pak, thanks to some extremely dodgy umpiring, Wasim and Waqar having a fallout ( Waqar played only one test and Wasim was the captain) along with their typical frail batting.
This is pakistan we are talking about - a team that can nuke itself right on the verge of world domination or launch a blitzkreig right at the face of extinction.
yea i remeber the Waqar Wasim fallout a little but i was only 10 at the time so i can't give detalied account. About the umpiring its was only really bad in the Hobart test when Pakistan should have won, but in Brisbane & Perth Australia won very convincingly.

But undoubtedbly that Pakistan team that went to Australia was very strong.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Let's do this properly and have a poll.

You have to name your top 3 test matches (in preferential order) of the last decade. Rule is that only 2 of them can involve the country that you support...

1. Edgebaston 2005.
2. India v Pakistan Chennai 99
3. Pakistan v Australia Hobart 99/00

Voting closes 6pm Australian Time on Wednesday

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slats just takes charge in style.

1) India vs. Australia, Kolkata 2001
2) West Indies vs. Australia, Bridgetown 1999
3) India vs. Pakistan, Chennai 1999

Slifer

International Captain