• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

sunilz

International Regular
Just watched complete highlights. Was busy today. How poor was Starc ?
And why doesn't he atleast try his Yorkers in test ?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know Im tempted to say Pujara > VVS because the "Lol he's so slow this zero intent batting cant beat australia we play aggressive fast paced cricket...... oh wait we lost. how :( " routine is really really funny to watch unfold.
This is blasphemous talk.

Puujara will never be Very Very Special

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
From the Aussie perspective, what a performance from Cummins ! Stood out like a true champ. Deservedly the player of the series.

Many more years of awesomeness to come.

Chrish

International Debutant
Pat Cummins seems too nice of a bloke to be a captain. Always smiling and never really having words with the opposition (at least I haven’t seen).

In order to be a captain, you do need to be ruthless and have bit of a dickishnesss in you. I would lean toward grooming Marnus

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Weirdly I've come round to the idea of Hazlewood being a potential short-term/transitional captain. Had never really seen it up until now, but think there's some leadership potential in him emerging.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wondering now (and knowing it won't be the case) that a few Australians turn the mirror on themselves and realise the pseudo Alpha behaviour actually isn't helping their cricket.

Sure, it might work against NZ when we turn up already mentally fragile, and against some of the minor nations, but India thrive off it. They get better because of it. Kohli always have and the Indian 1.5th XI did too - beat a side who thought they could beat their chest, mouth off, intimidate and overpower.

And funnily enough those who don't directly gob off - Cummins being the example - were the ones that actually produced. Wade, gobby and ****ing useless. Paine, batted well but captained poorly and couldn't catch a cold. Starc, couldn't be trusted to bowl a single over on Day 5. Even Hazelwood started getting lippy and produced **** all on day 5.

Can't wait for the Gabba indeed. That one will go down for the ages.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wondering now (and knowing it won't be the case) that a few Australians turn the mirror on themselves and realise the pseudo Alpha behaviour actually isn't helping their cricket.

Sure, it might work against NZ when we turn up already mentally fragile, and against some of the minor nations, but India thrive off it. They get better because of it. Kohli always have and the Indian 1.5th XI did too - beat a side who thought they could beat their chest, mouth off, intimidate and overpower.

And funnily enough those who don't directly gob off - Cummins being the example - were the ones that actually produced. Wade, gobby and ****ing useless. Paine, batted well but captained poorly and couldn't catch a cold. Starc, couldn't be trusted to bowl a single over on Day 5. Even Hazelwood started getting lippy and produced **** all on day 5.

Can't wait for the Gabba indeed. That one will go down for the ages.
In their defense, historically speaking, it would definitely have worked vs India.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I tried to best to stay awake for this but fell asleep just after the 3rd session started :( woke up with the TV still on and India needing just 50-odd to win. I was like "holy **** India might w-zzzzzzzzz"

Excellent series and excellent posting from all in this thread. Easily the most Test Cricket I've watched in a non-Pakistan series since I don't even know when.

India have put together such an amazing talent. That bench strength is amazing and this is how you build a dominant team that lasts a decade.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And why doesn't he atleast try his Yorkers in test ?
It's an unwritten, but definitely followed, rule that you're not allowed to bowl Yorkers in test matches in this Australian team. And he's been reluctant to bowl them for the past couple of years, even bowling them in ODIs far less.

didn't starc skip a huge ipl payday to prepare for this series?
If he bowled as badly as he did in the Sheffield shield he might have been dumped from his IPL team anyway.

nzfan

Lots of chat about this series around at work. Strange colleagues don't comment about black caps test match but they are talking about this series. Pleasant change but wish they also followed Black Caps cricket as much and not just Aussies losing.

Wonder how many test series have been undecided till the last couple of overs were bowled. That I think was gripping and why it makes this series an outstanding one.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lots of chat about this series around at work. Strange colleagues don't comment about black caps test match but they are talking about this series. Pleasant change but wish they also followed Black Caps cricket as much and not just Aussies losing.

Wonder how many test series have been undecided till the last couple of overs were bowled. That I think was gripping and why it makes this series an outstanding one.
Tbh this series was just waaaay more interesting than the BC's beating the stuffing out of overmatched opponents. Also helps that people would've been able to watch the evening sessions of play (and may well have a bigger audience given it was broadcast on sky rather than Spark). Overall the fact that people are watching and talking about cricket, even if it doesn't involve NZ, can only be a good sign for the game in NZ.

Last edited:

nzfan

Very keen to know how Aus A program compare with India A's India A must have toured all around the world playing against second best test sides and their bench strength is phenomenal. Current Indian team bench strength is a bit like Aussies from the 2000s. So many deserving players missed out playing for Aus then.