• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Victor Ian

International Coach
Though I desperately want Australia to crush India like little ants, how great would it be if India pulls off the win playing their worst 11 of the squad?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I have to chime in here because you are missing some context

1) The UAE relies heavily on income from hosting events, and have gone way out of their way to make it possible for events such as the UFC, IPL, business fairs, festivals, etc to go ahead. This is a credit to them, not the BCCI.

2) The UAE has decided that around 2000 cases a day is acceptable and have not had any form of lockdown on their own population for many months now, including during the IPL. The individuals associated with the IPL did live under more stringent conditions than anyone else in the country.

3) The Franchises were responsible for managing their players, staff, etc. and the penalty for anyone who violated the bio security bubble was that they would be sent home and the franchise would be hit with a heavy fine. It was not the BCCI coordinating all that, at most they just managed the needs of the match officials and event staff.

4) Due to the size of the bubble and the fact that UAE is renowned for its slave labour hospitality, there was very little need for anyone to enter or leave the bubble during the event. All hotel and service staff were part of the bubble too IIRC, so it was literally a sort of 5-start bubble environment created by the UAE government in order to facilitate the IPL

5) There were no spectators at the IPL, but there are spectators here. Allowing people into the ground brings with it a whole other set of complications that the UAE govt and BCCI did not have to deal with.
1. Maybe, but I dont see the relevance of credits being given here. Organizing the tournament is still BCCI responsibility.

2. Disagree, I was in the UAE at the time, and I'd know. While Dubai had relaxed most of the restrictions, Abu Dhabi had strict regulations on incoming visitors. Not to mention zero crowds for matches. And these were being changed on a daily basis.

3. Irrelevant really. A good administration will use relevant control measures including adopting a carrot stick approach to get the job done.

4. Again ignorance speaking. Having lived in UAE for a decade, I do agree there is a section of labour who are treated as bonded labour, in construction and all. But hospitality sector.is far removed from this.
UAE govt did not oversee the implementation of these hotel wide bubbles, BCCI did. BCCI stuck agreements with the hotels and ensured they implemented these bio bubbles.
We just saw the UAE Ireland matches being put on hold because a few members of the UAE team were found positive. Surely it would be much easier to implement these bubbles for a bilateral series ?

5. I understand it is optional to permit spectators in Aus and not mandated by law to adhere to a certain requirement isn't it ?

sunilz

International Regular
So in the 2 extremely competitive B-G series in 2017/2020 , Kohli/Warner basically had no role.

It has been Smith vs Pujara or Ashwin/Jadeja vs Lyon/Okeefe mostly .
Other players like Yadav , Hazlewood, Rahul, Cummins, Bumrah too had their moments.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
So in the 2 extremely competitive B-G series in 2017/2020 , Kohli/Warner basically had no role.

It has been Smith vs Pujara or Ashwin/Jadeja vs Lyon/Okeefe mostly .
Other players like Yadav , Hazlewood, Rahul, Cummins, Bumrah too had their moments.
Kohli the captain had a great role. Kohli the batsman had a decent role (made some 300 runs at 40 - decent given the series average was around 25).

sunilz

International Regular
Kohli the captain had a great role. Kohli the batsman had a decent role (made some 300 runs at 40 - decent given the series average was around 25).
Please don't mix the series. Kohli missed final test of BG trophy in 2017 and he averaged 9 in that series.
You are thinking about 2018. I am talking about the 1 played in IND in 2017

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
When it comes to selecting the Aussie side, I wouldn't be against two spinners. Cummins and Hazelwood could handle the new ball with more responsibility given to Green. Starc looked tired last Test and might need a rest.
Lyon deserves to keep his spot but seems to be bowling a little flatter than in the past. Swepson might provide an excellent contrast.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the classic seamy road
Those suit Australia pretty well and Sydney was pretty much the classic Australian home pitch that the Aussie seamers tend to get a lot more out of than visiting ones, though they didn't bat as well as they should have in the first innings. I'm expecting Brisbane to be no different.

MCG/Adelaide type pitches where the par first innings score is 250-300 make it too much of a crapshoot from their perspective.

sunilz

International Regular
In the last 2 Gabba test, both Ganguly , Murali Vijay scored 144. Let's see who scores 144 this time .?

Spark

Global Moderator
Those suit Australia pretty well and Sydney was pretty much the classic Australian home pitch that the Aussie seamers tend to get a lot more out of than visiting ones, though they didn't bat as well as they should have in the first innings. I'm expecting Brisbane to be no different.

MCG/Adelaide type pitches where the par first innings score is 250-300 make it too much of a crapshoot from their perspective.
Yeah this team is very much built around seamy road cricket, that makes merely okay bowlers look really pedestrian against good batsman but makes bowlers with extra height and pace still very nasty propositions.