• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Teja.

Global Moderator
Paine dug bit of a hole for himself though, his banter with Ashwin was cringey but he shouldn't have come out and apologized for that in middle of a live series.
Yeah, Ashwin himself didn't care. It was weird tstl. A Langer inspired 'elite role model' move IMO.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was a matter for him really. If he wanted to, fair enough. If he hadn't apologized I don't know that anyone would have thought more of the incident either. Was done and dusted when they walked off.

Though he obviously scared Ashwin out of playing in Brisbane :ph34r:

Burgey

A Langer inspired 'elite role model' move IMO.
I really think Paine did it himself, because he thought it was the right thing to do.

I wouldn't have apologized in those circumstances, because it's weak and effete. But I think it was his call to do it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually think it was rather nice of Paine to do that. He is trying to take ownership of his mistakes, he even apologized for his keeping. I just think perhaps its a little overburdening for him at the moment.

Another possibility is that while he maybe a good leader, perhaps he is not good tactically. In which case, maybe he should let Cummins set up the bowling tactics a lot more and let the bowlers call the shots more in terms of fields and plans.

Wasn't it a big deal in the 2018-19 series when they bowled short for a whole session or something and either Langer did not agree with it or the bowlers?

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
AUS test bowling is like India's top 3 ODI batting of Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli.
Both units have failed in many crunch games( For IND in WC Semi-final, CT final )
Indian top order not scoring runs in crunch pressure games and Australian bowling failing to be penetrative when the wicket is flat aren't the same thing tbh.

Australia in the last 4-5 years has probably won all of 2 tests in sub-continent conditions, they have been clobbered by even the likes of Pakistan and Sri Lanka which just isn't good enough if you claim to be a top test team.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Aussies should just stop apologizing for their momentary lapses of judgment on the field. Never goes well.
oh you mean they shouldn't have banned warner and smith for a year

everyone knew that

but i think the senior players were stalling CA player contract talks to get a better deal, which was in the news all the time back then but after the bans, it disappeared from the media

hmmm. very interesting.

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Labuschagne got a hundred so you can't really point the finger but you would expect a player of his caliber to have really punished us for all those drops and got to 200.
All those drops? You have been taken in by commentary embellishment.
A nick fell short of second slip and Hussy counted it.
He was only dropped once in his century.

OverratedSanity

Paine's sledge was pretty mild and the apology was unnecessary. And is it just me who hates it when people say those sledges "backfired" on him. It's fun for memes but if you disliked the sledge, then say you disliked it. Tying it to the game's result is what allowed great teams of the past to get away with ****ty behaviour because apparently it's all OK if you end up winning.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
I actually think it was rather nice of Paine to do that. He is trying to take ownership of his mistakes, he even apologized for his keeping. I just think perhaps its a little overburdening for him at the moment.

Another possibility is that while he maybe a good leader, perhaps he is not good tactically. In which case, maybe he should let Cummins set up the bowling tactics a lot more and let the bowlers call the shots more in terms of fields and plans.

Wasn't it a big deal in the 2018-19 series when they bowled short for a whole session or something and either Langer did not agree with it or the bowlers?
Ashwin said a few things as well, but he didn't play it down or anything. Instead he is gloating on twitter making fun of cricket pundits for having done their job.

Paine for me is a selfish guy, who by some weird default got the top job in Australian cricket, so he is saying and doing whatever keeps him in that soft spot he is right now finding himself in.

I have never seen an Australian captaining discussing in the media, how long he would like to captain like Paine does, because all this time I was under the impression, that it is not his call to make.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Paine dug bit of a hole for himself though, his banter with Ashwin was cringey but he shouldn't have come out and apologized for that in middle of a live series.
Yeah, I am glad Lyon didn't apologise. You can't apologise to someone for the way you are inherently. That questions your very existence.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Paine's sledge was pretty mild and the apology was unnecessary. And is it just me who hates it when people say those sledges "backfired" on him. It's fun for memes but if you disliked the sledge, then say you disliked it. Tying it to the game's result is what allowed great teams of the past to get away with ****ty behaviour because apparently it's all OK if you end up winning.
Come on, OS, you are mixing up different things. The sledge did backfire on him. I mean, remember when Gambhir or Rohit told Steyn, come to India and then he did come to India and rip us a new one?

Of course, it is stupid to say ****ty behaviour is ok if you are winning. But I dont really think that is what is being said here by anyone, maybe I have missed a few posts perhaps.

Teja.

Global Moderator
My one regret about yesterday is that I wasn't watching the C7 coverage and couldn't see Ponting slowly melting down through the day about Pujara.

Last edited:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Was a matter for him really. If he wanted to, fair enough. If he hadn't apologized I don't know that anyone would have thought more of the incident either. Was done and dusted when they walked off.

Though he obviously scared Ashwin out of playing in Brisbane :ph34r:
Ashwin saw it as so much beneath him that he deputised an IPLwallah to do the job for him.