• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Yeah if Pope comes in he bats 4 or below. Controversial opinion being expressed here, but I don't think Root has looked too bad at 3. Two ducks but conversely two fifties; one a typical 50 and but the other one ultimately being significant to setting up the finish in the third test. I tend to think that Denly should have remained at 3 for the series. He is a county no.3 afterall and was more suited to the role than the others that have been tried out in the last few years. Can't really put him in at three half way through the series though, and Pope has never batted higher than 5 I think (or has he moved up to 4 recently?)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah if Pope comes in he bats 4 or below. Controversial opinion being expressed here, but I don't think Root has looked too bad at 3. Two ducks but conversely two fifties; one a typical 50 and but the other one ultimately being significant to setting up the finish in the third test. I tend to think that Denly should have remained at 3 for the series. He is a county no.3 afterall and was more suited to the role than the others that have been tried out in the last few years. Can't really put him in at three half way through the series though, and Pope has never batted higher than 5 I think (or has he moved up to 4 recently?)
Yeah Root at three doesn't make any sense at all in the lineup they've been selecting but it makes sense medium term in a pool of players with a handful of decent middle order options and no openers. Much as how when Denly was in the middle order was a terrible time to move up him to #3, when an opener is being dropped for a county #4/5 and he's just made a crucial fourth innings 70 odd in a low scorer is a terrible time to move him away from it.

greg

International Debutant
why has Sibley gone from being in the squad (ahead of Pope) to being completely overlooked?

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think he opened last week and got a double ton

Farkspark

Banned
Khawaja captain, Carey suddenly keeping and about time. Time for the Paine to stop!

Warner
Khawaja*
Smith
Head
Labuschagne
Carey
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood
Marsh
12 for the test

burr

State Vice-Captain
This Test series is shaping up a bit like Australia's 2017 India tour.

Going to a place they've failed multiple times previously, they bravely adjust their tactics and selection and are rewarded initially with success on the back of Steve Smith masterclass batting. They look headed towards a series victory but miss golden opportunities for victory midway through the series and ultimately fall short.

England still look vulnerable and Australia have Smith coming back but such a gift opportunity missed might be mentally hard for them to overcome in the remaining two Tests.
I honestly think, considering how atrocious the top seven is bar smith, it'd be a massive upset if Australia won/drew in England.