• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 Day Tests

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I dunno... I posted it as something I see happening, w.r.t the pink ball being standard for tests. It obviously has to improve further before that happens but I just feel enabling the game to continue under lights when required can help out with the scheduling.
I don't recall anyone complaining about the red ball being noticeably difficult to see under slight low-light conditions (when they have the lights on). It isn't that much of a problem here, and if you need to schedule your matches in Pakistan in winter, start at 9.00 if necessary.

It's somwething that, IMO, simply does not need to happen.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's not an issue where you have longer daylight like Aussie summers or England, for example. But in places like the SC, we often play during our winter too and helping out the daylight issue with the ability to schedule additional hours of possible play under lights can help. As of now, red ball is ok as long as natural light is the major source of brightness. But there is this rule that you have to come off once artificial lights have taken over fully or something.

cnerd123

likes this
There really is no cricketing reason to reduce Tests to 5 days. The only real reasons are financial. Cricket currently exists to make money, instead of making money to exist. That's the crux of the issue.

Until we see people who actually love the game step into administration, decisions like this will keep being pushed through. A 10-team World Cup, a half-hearted World Test Championship, Cricket still existing behind paid TV, etc.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf this World Cup was one of the best for a while, and a big part of that was not having so many minnow mis-matches.

10 team world cup proved to be the right call

4 day tests can gagf though, if that happens I will stop watching cricket

Daemon

tbf this World Cup was one of the best for a while, and a big part of that was not having so many minnow mis-matches.

10 team world cup proved to be the right call

4 day tests can gagf though, if that happens I will stop watching cricket
Will it stop you from posting here?

Flem274*

123/5
just so you know how bad 4 day tests would be, nz would have a solid chance of batting the next 15 minutes and escaping with a draw

this is how hard you'd have to dominate a game to even have a crack at winning.

morgieb

just so you know how bad 4 day tests would be, nz would have a solid chance of batting the next 15 minutes and escaping with a draw

Well in fairness in 4 day Tests there will be an extra 30 overs bowled. Agree that 360 overs generally isn't enough.

Daemon

The match would be so much more entertaining though. Imagine CdG playing that shot with 14 overs to go.

TheJediBrah

If this was a 4-day test then Aus just got a last-minute thrilling result with just a few overs to go . . . maybe they have merit

OverratedSanity

If it was a four day test, australia would've declared much earlier and still would've won easily. Wouldve changed **** all

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Concussion helmet inspections, third umpire reviews, sightscreen issues, ball going out of shape, batsman pulling out late when the bowler is running in.

There are just so many delays out of the fielding teams control. I dont really notice when the fielding team is taking too long until I see the overs per hour pop up on the screen.
It was definitely noticeable yesterday - I think there was one review all day and one physio visit yet they only bowled 79 overs in over 6 hours (and Maharaj was on for 28 of them).

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It was definitely noticeable yesterday - I think there was one review all day and one physio visit yet they only bowled 79 overs in over 6 hours (and Maharaj was on for 28 of them).
Well that was obviously deliberate... would not be surprised if Faf gets a smack for that.

But the current SA vs Eng match is the perfect example as why 4 day matches are bad...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well that was obviously deliberate... would not be surprised if Faf gets a smack for that.

But the current SA vs Eng match is the perfect example as why 4 day matches are bad...
Indeed.

I'm not anti 4 dayers in general principle though if it means the Irelands, Afghanistans and Zimbabwes of the world get a few more crumbs thrown from the master's table.

Daemon

Tbf England would’ve approached their second innings very differently if it was a four dayer. Likelihood of a draw would probably still be higher though.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
There is no Sehwag of this era

Maxwell should have been given a chance to be it in tests but alas

Warner and Iqbal bat mature and boring now
Whilst not a run a ball, Warner’s triple was at a SR of 80.

Not exactly just knocking it around. It also wasn’t on a Chennai road with a lightning outfield.

Fair chance Warner’s would of been a run a ball if it was at Chennai rather than Adelaide.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Whilst not a run a ball, Warner’s triple was at a SR of 80.

Not exactly just knocking it around. It also wasn’t on a Chennai road with a lightning outfield.

Fair chance Warner’s would of been a run a ball if it was at Chennai rather than Adelaide.
Sehwag's triple century at Chennai was against Steyn, Morkel , Ntini and Kallis . Warner's century was against a club level bowling attack. Had Sehwag faced those club level Pak bowlers at Adelaide, he would have needed max 230-240 balls to score triple century.

TheJediBrah

Sehwag's triple century at Chennai was against Steyn, Morkel , Ntini and Kallis . Warner's century was against a club level bowling attack. Had Sehwag faced those club level Pak bowlers at Adelaide, he would have needed max 230-240 balls to score triple century.
completely irrelevant but ok